Windows 10: Removing ubuntu from EFI File. rmdir /s ubuntu not working

Discus and support Removing ubuntu from EFI File. rmdir /s ubuntu not working in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hello, hope someone can help. I am trying to remove ubuntu from the EFI file. I assigned the EFI file with the letter Z and have managed to list the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by scotinky, Jul 23, 2017.

1. scotinky Win User

Removing ubuntu from EFI File. rmdir /s ubuntu not working

Hello, hope someone can help. I am trying to remove ubuntu from the EFI file. I assigned the EFI file with the letter Z and have managed to list the directory. When I use the command
    PS Z:\EFI> rmdir /s ubuntu (to remove ubuntu from the directory)
    I get the following error "Remove-Item : A positional parameter cannot be found that accepts argument 'ubuntu' At line:1 char:1
    Invalid argument; (remove -item, ParameterBinding Exception
    Positional ParameterNot Found

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks

:)

scotinky, Jul 23, 2017

2. Remove Grand Unified Boot Loader (GRUB) from Windows 10

I had that issue when Grub was deposited on my SSD when I had installed a Linux distro to a USB using Live Linux.

I followed the above and it didn't work, so despite installing windows again, the following below worked for me (Dell Inspiron 3148 notebook). Differences in latest version of Windows 10: CommandPrompt (Admin) is now PowerShell (Admin), and I found I had
    to omit the /S when I removed the ubuntu boot directory, so I typed rmdir ubuntu It is copied and pasted from the Ask Ubuntu forum.

This answer is for those with UEFI who have deleted the Ubuntu partitions before removing grub

You will be doing this from Windows 10. No bootable media required.

Where bootrec /fixmbr, bootsect /nt60 and the Ubuntu live with the boot-repair suggestions have failed, this has worked for me:

(This answer borrowed verbatim from here)

• Run a cmd.exe process with administrator privileges
    • Run diskpart
    • Type: list disk then sel disk X where X is the drive your boot files reside on
    • Type list vol to see all partitions (volumes) on the disk
    • Select the EFI volume by typing: sel vol Y where Y is the SYSTEM volume (this is almost always the EFI partition)
    • For convenience, assign a drive letter by typing: assign letter=Z: where Z is a free (unused) drive letter
    • Type exit to leave disk part
    • While still in the cmd prompt, type: Z: and hit enter, where Z was the drive letter you just created.
    • Type dir to list directories on this mounted EFI partition
    • If you are in the right place, you should see a directory called EFI
    • Type cd EFI and then dir to list the child directories inside EFI
    • Type rmdir /S ubuntu to delete the ubuntu boot directory
    Assuming you only ever had two operating systems (Win 10 & Ubuntu) you should now be able to boot directly to Windows without hitting the black grub screen.

staffnsnake, Jul 23, 2017
  3. Extending partition in Windows 10 raises "The operation you selected will convert the selected basic disk(s) to dynamic disk(s)"

I installed Ubuntu 16.04 alongside Windows 10, however I had to remove it due to some bugs (related to Ubuntu, not Windows). I removed the Ubuntu partitions (279.25 GB) from Disk Management, and now I am left with the situation
    shown in the attached screenshot. I tried to extend the D volume by including the unallocated 279.25 GB. However when I try to extend it I get the warning message "The Operation you selected will convert the selected basic disk(s) to dynamic disk(s). If you
    convert the disk to dynamic, you will not be able to start installed operating systems from any volume on the disk(s)...." etc.

Now, I do not want to convert the disk to dynamic, as I will probably install another Ubuntu distribution. How can I extend the drive D? Also, I don't know whether the 513 MB volume on Disk 1 (EFI System Partition) was created by
    Ubuntu or not? If yes, should I delete it?

Removing ubuntu from EFI File. rmdir /s ubuntu not working [​IMG]

gianlucamassimiani, Jul 23, 2017
Thema:

Removing ubuntu from EFI File. rmdir /s ubuntu not working

1. Removing ubuntu from EFI File. rmdir /s ubuntu not working - Similar Threads - Removing ubuntu EFI

2. Can't figure out which partitions to remove while removing ubuntu from windows/ubuntu dual...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't figure out which partitions to remove while removing ubuntu from windows/ubuntu dual...: I wanted to remove ubuntu from my windows/ubuntu dual boot. When I opened the disc management, i found the following partitions, i have already deleted a partition called RESTORE:D of 52.19GB, but I can see many more partitions which are consuming space, I am not sure which...
  3. Can't figure out which partitions to remove while removing ubuntu from windows/ubuntu dual...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't figure out which partitions to remove while removing ubuntu from windows/ubuntu dual...: I wanted to remove ubuntu from my windows/ubuntu dual boot. When I opened the disc management, i found the following partitions, i have already deleted a partition called RESTORE:D of 52.19GB, but I can see many more partitions which are consuming space, I am not sure which...
  4. remove ubuntu from bios screen

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    remove ubuntu from bios screen: Hi there, how can I remove Linux ubuntu from bios ?I've uninstalled it last day, but its name is still on bios screen https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/remove-ubuntu-from-bios-screen/deb10ff7-3b93-4e47-af35-17d3510369c0
  5. Help for removing ubuntu

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Help for removing ubuntu: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/RkADER04 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/k58zbh/help_for_removing_ubuntu/
  6. Removed Ubuntu

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Removed Ubuntu: I recently removed ubuntu 20.04 lts from my ASUS by just cleaning it out by using disk management and merged the leftover space with my E:\ drive but my bootloader still shows ubuntu and when I clicked on it showed me "grub>" why?...
  7. Remove prior ubuntu install

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Remove prior ubuntu install: Question for the gurus out there. I recently "upgraded" to the latest MS version of ubuntu 18.04 from the app store. I tried to do an upgrade from 14.04, and it failed miserably. Now, however, I have two versions and apparently, the 14.04 version is the "default, though I...
  8. Need help removing Ubuntu

Need help removing Ubuntu: Hi, My laptop was setup to dual boot with Ubuntu, I finally got another computer to run Ubuntu so I'd like to remove it from my laptop and use the space it's taking up. Anyone know how? 110600
  9. Remove Ubuntu dual-boot

Remove Ubuntu dual-boot: I currently have a Surface Pro 1 with Windows 10 that also has Ubuntu installed on it as well. I would like to remove Ubuntu and restore the default Windows boot manager. Right now, it's currently doing a Windows 10 reset (Remove all files from all drives and clean them),...
  10. Remove dual boot - Ubuntu

Remove dual boot - Ubuntu: Hi, I am running Widows 10 on a UEFI/EFI/GPT system. I'd like to try and install a Linux OS on another partition. Installing is not a problem my question relates to if I decide to remove Ubuntu, how will I repair my Window's bootloader? I've been doing a lot of reading on...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. rmdir /s Ubuntu

2. efi rmdir /s