Windows 10: Removing unused USB drives

Discus and support Removing unused USB drives in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; On my journey to understanding why Auto Play doesn't work on my PC, I discovered that the PC would often rescan my devices upon reboot, and it would... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by jmikef, Feb 21, 2016.

1. jmikef Win User

Removing unused USB drives

On my journey to understanding why Auto Play doesn't work on my PC, I discovered that the PC would often rescan my devices upon reboot, and it would list a phantom CD drive until the scan completed. After running the utility in the link (it came from a Symantec thread), I no longer have the scanning issue. YMMV.

Note: create a restore point before running

http://www.cherubicsoft.com/en/proje...n#.VsseiJf2aR0

:)

jmikef, Feb 21, 2016

2. Windows 10 Media Creation Tool

When I used the MCT, the USB was reformatted to 32GB. Disk management shows the drive with a 32GB partition and another 80+ GB partition that is unused. How do I recover the unused 80 GB?

Richard Bergstedt, Feb 21, 2016
  3. bitlocker in windows 10 without TPM Can one USB hold keys for several PC's

At one point I was trying to use Bitlocker toGo with a USB thumb drive and it cleared the contents, when I only wanted to use some of the unused disk space.

Can the keys for multiple PC's be stored on one USB Thumb Drive? Or do I need one separate USB drive for each PC?

RichardKing LUTCF CLU ChFC, Feb 21, 2016
Thema:

Removing unused USB drives

1. Removing unused USB drives - Similar Threads - Removing unused USB

2. Can't remove BitLocked USB Drive.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Can't remove BitLocked USB Drive.: I plugged in a USB drive to my computer Windows 10, supplied the BitLocker password. I then opened the drive in the File Explorer. I opened 3 Word documents and 2 JPG files. I didn't make any changes. I then went to "Show Hidden Icons" on the task bar. I had no applications...
  3. Disk Drive is unusable

Disk Drive is unusable: Ive had to install a drive from an old laptop to get the data off it. I did this by taking the hard drive out of the laptop and putting it into my computer. After I booted my system once I had finished with the other drive, the files on my D drive were unusable. D drive is my...
  4. Windows removes unused printers

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Windows removes unused printers: Hi,Noticed a few computers started removing printers automatically. Narrowed it down to Windows 10 maintenance tasks removing them. Just not sure which task removes them and disabling all maintenance tasks doesn't seem wise.HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows...
  5. Removing unused account

in Windows 10 Customization
    Removing unused account: I asked this Q in Office365 forum they said its a W10 issue so post here instead. : I keep getting messages to fix my password and log in to company Office 365. I left the company some time ago, and using my own Office 365 ....... Under Settings > Email & Accounts it...
  6. Unused USB ports consuming needed drive letters.

Unused USB ports consuming needed drive letters.: I need to change the letter of one of my drives from "M:" to "G:" to fix a bunch of shortcuts. Unfortunately, Win10 has decided to permanently assign a drive letter to every USB port whether there is something plugged into them or not. Result: I can't change the drive...
  7. USB drive removal

USB drive removal: When I try to remove the USB drive, it shows, "open printers and devices". It will not show "you can remove usb drive safely". I don't have any programs open that are using it, though I am not totally sure about that. I ventured to shut-down computer to reboot. Still the...
  8. USB drives becoming unusable- how to recover

USB drives becoming unusable- how to recover: Hi Ive had an issue over the years, where somehow a flash drive will become unusable and not even visible to the system. It will either show up or not show up on Disk Management console. sometimes i can run DISKPART and use CLEAN to recover it. other times diskpart will...
  9. Removing unused user accounts

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Removing unused user accounts: I created an extra account on my computer to help solve a Windows 10 problem, on the advice of someone at MS or in the MS Community. The problem is gone, but the extra account remains. We didn't discuss how to delete the account, but it appears in File Manager but not under...
  10. Safe removal of usb drive

Safe removal of usb drive: How do you safely remove usb drive from computer on Window 10? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-hardware/safe-removal-of-usb-drive/8e1ea4eb-bfe9-4e58-866a-292b3c94ac03