Windows 10: Removing USB while installing?

Discus and support Removing USB while installing? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi guys, I'm upgrading my 8.1 tablet to W10 with a bootable USB. Now I didn't know it would take this long and it's still Copying files, problem is... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by DaeJim, Dec 5, 2015.

1. DaeJim Win User

Removing USB while installing?

Hi guys,

I'm upgrading my 8.1 tablet to W10 with a bootable USB.
    Now I didn't know it would take this long and it's still Copying files, problem is that it's been two and a half hours now and the tablet isn't charging because the USB is in it. In other words, the battery will likely not make it...

When can I remove the USB so I can start charging my tablet again?
    Can I remove it while it's doing copying files while in the installation phase?

:)

DaeJim, Dec 5, 2015

2. Facing issues while removing the USB drive.

Have you tried going into device manager, show hidden>look for the USB hub that has the drive on it and delete it. Reboot and windows should re-install it

Device manager= win key +"X">device manager>view>show hidden>USB

ZigZag3143 (MS -MVP), Dec 5, 2015
  3. Facing issues while removing the USB drive.

Hi,

Thank you for the update.

What is the make and model no of the computer?

I would recommend you to update your Driver from the Device Manage and also Install all the Pending Updates of Windows Update and check if its helps.

Please follow the steps mentioned below to Update your Driver.

• Press Window Key + X.
    • Select Device Manager.
    • Select the Driver which you to update.(For example: USB)
    • Right Click and Select Update.
    Update all the USB driver and check if its helps.

Install any pending Windows updates on the pc to check if that helps. Updates are additions to software that can help prevent or fix problems, improve how your computer works, or enhance your computing experience.

To install Update > Press Windows Key + I > Click on Update and Security> Under Windows update Click on Check for Updates> install the update and Restart the computer.

Hope this information is helpful, if the issue persist please write us back with the information in brief so that we can assist you further.

Morris Subba, Dec 5, 2015
  4. lx07 Win User

When it gets to the first reboot you can definitely remove it, not sure if you can before then.

lx07, Dec 5, 2015
  5. DaeJim Win User
    It's almost done with copying files, next part is (not sure if this is the correct name since I'm installing a Dutch Windows) Parts and drivers install

Would I be able to remove the USB at that phase? What happens when I remove the USB anyway while it's installing? *Tongue

DaeJim, Dec 5, 2015
  6. Edwin New Member
    When it's done with that phase, it'll say "Restarting in 10...9...8...7 sec, etc.
    The screen goes black for first reboot, pull it out then.

Edwin, Dec 5, 2015
  7. DaeJim Win User
    So if I understand this correctly, I remove the usb when it reboots. Charge it again, and continue the installing by inserting the USB again after it charged?

DaeJim, Dec 5, 2015
  8. Edwin New Member

No, your done with the USB stick after the first reboot, just get it plugged in and keep it plugged in!
    And, get as strong a signal or connection as you can.

Edwin, Dec 5, 2015
  9. fdegrove Win User
    Hi,

That's correct. Once done with copying the setup files to the drive the installation media is no longer needed.

Note that I just leave it plugged in on all my systems during installation. Windows just continues on its own booting from the C:\ drive anyhow. YMMV.

Cheers, *Wink

fdegrove, Dec 5, 2015
  10. Edwin New Member
    I think the OP desperately needs the usb port for charging.

BTW, in Windows 7 days, if you didn't pull the USB stick out at first reboot, it could've begun the install all over again. (in some instances!) *Wink

Edwin, Dec 5, 2015
  11. DaeJim Win User
    Well, after the reboot I removed the USB and now it's asking "place an external device" :/
    Anyway, I can solve this by restarting the installation process (with the usb boot) when it's fully charged right?

(Without USB it's not starting windows 8.1)

DaeJim, Dec 5, 2015
  12. CountMike New Member
    It's probably charged by now. did you succeed ?

CountMike, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Removing USB while installing? - Similar Threads - Removing USB while

2. Remove USB Blocking

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Remove USB Blocking: Hi All,So we had ConnectWise Automate with ThirdWall to block USB storage access to users' PCs. We no longer have ConnectWise Automate or ThirdWall but the USB's storage is still blocked. We have worked with ThirdWall Support to try and get it removed but all Group Policies...
  3. Remove USB Installer - Start Over Again

in Windows 10 Support
    Remove USB Installer - Start Over Again: Okay, so I am at a total loss here. I am detailing the current problem and all debug steps taken so far below. I am working on a fresh build. Computer has an m2 (SN850 500GB) and HDD. I configured the computer correctly to install windows from USB. Installed Windows 10...
  4. What happens if you remove USB mid-install?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    What happens if you remove USB mid-install?: I am afraid I might've unplugged the stick.The setup would throw an error right? I was on the Getting files ready part of the setup, the final part. submitted by /u/dadybosma [link] [comments]...
  5. Screen Stuck while installing Windows from USB

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Screen Stuck while installing Windows from USB: I have been trying to install windows for 2 days now, I have an Acer Predator Helios 300, and i have been using Linux for some months now, but I wanted to switch to windows, I created a bootable USB for Windows 10 via Rufus. I followed these steps: 1. I created a Ubuntu Live...
  6. Safely Remove USB

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Safely Remove USB: Hi Folks, I have a 500 GB WD HDD attached to my Win 10 Laptop. I tried to Safely Remove it 5 times but was still in use. I restarted my PC where I knew I could remove it safely, but I didn't. On restarting with it still connected, I was still unable to remove it safely. Is...
  7. Safely Remove USB

in Windows 10 Support
    Safely Remove USB: Hi Folks, I have a 500 GB WD HDD attached to my Win 10 Laptop. I tried to Safely Remove it 5 times but was still in use. I restarted my PC where I knew I could remove it safely, but I didn't. On restarting with it still connected, I was still unable to remove it safely. Is...
  8. Remove USB writeprotection

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Remove USB writeprotection: DISKPART> attributes disk Current Read-only State : Yes Read-only : No Boot Disk : No Pagefile Disk : No Hibernation File Disk : No Crashdump Disk : No Clustered Disk : No Q:can't turn off the Current Read-only State I have tried many methods like use Win+R to change the...
  9. Installing Win10 from USB while Win10 already installed?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Installing Win10 from USB while Win10 already installed?: I reformatted my brand new laptop using an old version of Win10 I had on a USB. However after doing this I ran into an issue with Windows updates not working. After some searching I found that I needed a newer build of the Win10 bootable USB. I ran the Win10 installer from...
  10. recover files on USB thumb corrupted by being removed while working

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    recover files on USB thumb corrupted by being removed while working: Hi, System: Windows Home 10. Version 10.0.17134 Build 17134 I hope someone can help me. I stupidly corrupted my thumb drive by removing while the computer was still shutting down. Now the system cannot read any files on the disk. The computer boots perfectly and all...