Windows 10: Rename Files In Bulk with % in Name

Discus and support Rename Files In Bulk with % in Name in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Employee just got a new computer with Windows 10 and has several files that were copied over from another computer that have a % sign in the names.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Learn2010, Jul 5, 2017.

1. Learn2010 Win User

Rename Files In Bulk with % in Name

Employee just got a new computer with Windows 10 and has several files that were copied over from another computer that have a % sign in the names. Don't ask me how. She has to rename them. Is there a way to change the % to an underscore in all the files at one time?

Thank you.

:)

Learn2010, Jul 5, 2017

2. Way to merge multiple folders into one on Windows 10

Not sure what the original poster had in mind, but I have several folders that start with the same name, they are the same subject, but contain various file types with various naming, thus just searching and copy/move will not work. I am currently renaming
    the folders (in Windows 10) one at a time, and it is merging them and renaming any duplicate names (which is what I want)... It would be nice if there was a bulk way of doing this. BTW, bulk renaming of folders just renames them adding a number at the end.

Does PowerShell off a way around this?

trinitytek, Jul 5, 2017
  3. SpiritX MS MVP, Jul 5, 2017
  4. Bree New Member

Welcome to TenForums @Learn2010

Yes, but you'll have to use PowerShell to do it. Open PowerShell in the folder containing the files to be renamed (or open a command prompt then type powershell). The command to use in powershell is:

Code: get-childitem *%*.* | foreach { rename-item $_ $_.Name.Replace("%", "_") }[/quote]

Bree, Jul 5, 2017
  5. Learn2010 Win User
    I will try this. Thank you very much.

Learn2010, Jul 5, 2017
  6. pepanee Win User
    There's also a Graphical User Interface program that can do all types of renames to files/folders (for future reference).

Download: Better File Rename
    After you download and install, select all the files in File Explorer > Right Click > Better File Rename

Set these options in the program when it opens:
    Category: Text
    Action: Replace text
    Replace: %
    With: _

Press the Perform Renames button

pepanee, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Rename Files In Bulk with % in Name - Similar Threads - Rename Files Bulk

2. Bulk change file 'Title' Name for files not file 'name'

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Bulk change file 'Title' Name for files not file 'name': Hi - I want to know how to bulk change the 'TITLE' in files on my computer.Scenario is that I download audiobooks by the chapter to put on my Garmin watch. The audiobooks download with the 'NAME' listed by chapter, e.g. "XYZ Chapter 01", but the 'TITLE' in generically named...
  3. Bulk change file 'Title' Name for files not file 'name'

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Bulk change file 'Title' Name for files not file 'name': Hi - I want to know how to bulk change the 'TITLE' in files on my computer.Scenario is that I download audiobooks by the chapter to put on my Garmin watch. The audiobooks download with the 'NAME' listed by chapter, e.g. "XYZ Chapter 01", but the 'TITLE' in generically named...
  4. Bulk change file 'Title' Name for files not file 'name'

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. Bulk Folder Renaming

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Bulk Folder Renaming: Is there a command or program I can use to rename multiple folders at once by entering the locations? Example: From: C:\abcd\Folder C:\efgh\Folder C:\ijkl\Folder To: C:\abcd\abcd C:\efgh\efgh C:\ijkl\ijkl submitted by /u/theblake1980 [link] [comments]...
  6. PowerToys - Bulk Rename

PowerToys - Bulk Rename: Hello, I have a ton of video files I need to rename. I found out that there is a bulkRenamer in PowerToys, so I downloaded and installed it; however, I'm not certain if it would work in this current use-case. See the screenshot. Most of my videos are like this. (or some...
  7. Bulk File Name Change

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Bulk File Name Change: Hi, I have nearly 4,000 image files that I need to rename. They all contain one type of unique ID number let's call it ID1 along with some other words, and I need to rename them to a different type of unique ID number let's call it ID2 without the other words. I have the...
  8. Option for renaming a bulk of files

Option for renaming a bulk of files: Hello, can anyone hint me how to restore windows 7 function of one-click file renaming of duplicate files while copying on windows 10? The results seem to be buried. submitted by /u/JoeRig [link] [comments]...
  9. Modification of file names in bulk

in Windows 10 Support
    Modification of file names in bulk: A time ago, so I do not recall why, many of my files' names were modified; say from .abc.jpg, or cde.docx to abc(2018_06_04 06_52_58 UTC).jpg, or cde (2018_06_04 06_52_58 UTC).docx. In the main picture files dominate. I want to rename the files by removing the (2018_06_04...
  10. bulk file renaming (intention is to shorten filenames)

in Windows 10 Support
    bulk file renaming (intention is to shorten filenames): basically l have over 50 files that lm unable to download to the location l wish to on my laptop (each file is about a gig), however their filenames are quite long which leads me to the 255 character limit. my intention was to originally use winscp to batch rename but lm not...