Windows 10: Rename Storage Pool for Storage Spaces in Windows 10

Discus and support Rename Storage Pool for Storage Spaces in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Rename Storage Pool for Storage Spaces in Windows 10 How to Rename Storage Pool for Storage Spaces in Windows 10 [img] Information add... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by Brink, Oct 5, 2016.

1. Brink
    Brink New Member

Rename Storage Pool for Storage Spaces in Windows 10

How to: Rename Storage Pool for Storage Spaces in Windows 10

How to Rename Storage Pool for Storage Spaces in Windows 10

Rename Storage Pool for Storage Spaces in Windows 10 [​IMG]
    Information add more drives to the storage pool.

When you create a new storage pool, it is named Storage pool by default. You may want to rename the pool to any name you want. Especially if you created more than one storage pool.

This tutorial will show you how to rename a storage pool for storage spaces in Windows 10.

You must be signed in as an administrator to add drives to the storage pool.

CONTENTS:
    • Option One: To Rename Storage Pool in Storage Spaces Settings
    • Option Two: To Rename Storage Pool in PowerShell

OPTION ONE [/i] To Rename Storage Pool in Storage Spaces Settings
    1. Open Settings, click/tap on the System icon, click/tap on Storage on the left side, and click/tap on the Manage Storage Spaces link on the right side. (see screenshot below)

Note You can also open the Control Panel (icons view), and click/tap on the Storage Spaces icon instead.

2. Click/tap on the Change settings button, click/tap on Yes if prompted by UAC, and click/tap on the Rename pool link for the storage pool you want to change the name of. (see screenshot below)

3. Type a new name you want for the storage pool (ex: "Storage pool 2"), and click/tap on Rename pool. (see screenshot below)

4. The storage pool will now be renamed. (see screenshot below)

OPTION TWO [/i] To Rename Storage Pool in PowerShell
    1. Open an elevated PowerShell.

2. Type the command below into the elevated PowerShell, and press Enter. (see screenshot below)
    *Arrow Get-StoragePool

3. Make note of the current friendly name (ex: "Storage pool") of the storage pool you want to rename. (see screenshot above)

4. Type the command below into the elevated PowerShell, and press Enter. (see screenshot below)

Note For more Set-StoragePool command usage options, see: Set-StoragePool - Windows IT Center

*Arrow Set-StoragePool -FriendlyName "CurrentName" -NewFriendlyName "NewName"

Note Substitute CurrentName in the command above with the actual current name (ex: "Storage pool") from step 3 above.

Substitute NewName in the command above with the actual new name (ex: "Storage pool 1") you want for the storage pool.

For example:

Set-StoragePool -FriendlyName "Storage pool" -NewFriendlyName "Storage Pool 1"

5. When finished, you can close the elevated PowerShell.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

Brink, Oct 5, 2016
  2. 333t Win User

How to remove a bad drive in Windows 10 storage spaces pool

Could someone list the steps involved in replacing a bad drive from a Windows 10 storage spaces pool? I cannot find any info on the Microsoft support site that is specific to Windows 10. Also, could you list the steps to remove a 'good' drive and replace
    it with another drive if the process is different?

3. dalchina Win User
    Storage spaces recovery

For interest:

Move Storage Spaces from Windows 10 Pro to Windows Server 2016 Essentials

But I note:

What Windows build/edition are you using on your old PC, and what on your new?

More:
    Can you move Storage Spaces pools between computers?

dalchina, Oct 26, 2019
  4. Rename Storage Pool for Storage Spaces in Windows 10

Windows 10 Storage Spaces

Question;

Have a RAID 0 storage pool in Windows 10. The storage pool has 952 GB of usable space, it currently has 6.06 GB of space used. I ran a system clean-up which wrote data to securely erase empty hard drive space. Now I get a warning that my storage pool is
    full. I wrote a large group of files approximately 41 GB to the space to verify there wasn't an actual limitation. After all the files copied without issue I deleted them and noticed that the pool went from no capacity to 911 GB in use, the amount that was
    written and then deleted.

I have searched but not come across this issue in any internet searches. Perhaps I am not searching for the correct terminology?

Any suggestions for correcting the storage spaces error without affecting the data on the pool? The reason of concern is that the drive has a SoildWorks vault space and I would prefer not to delete it and have to recreate it.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Anthony P77, Oct 26, 2019
  5. Ferdz Amp Win User
    Storage pool

Hello,

Storage Spaces is a technology in Windows and Windows Server that can help protect your data from drive failures. It is conceptually similar to RAID, implemented in software. You can use Storage Spaces to group three or more drives together into a storage pool
    and then use capacity from that pool to create Storage Spaces. These typically store extra copies of your data so if one of your drives fails, you still have an intact copy of your data. If you run low on capacity, just add more drives to the storage pool.

In setting up a storage space, it's recommended that you use a hard drive that doesn't contain important files as the drive will be formatted to mirror the host drive.

For more information regarding Storage Spaces, read this
    FAQ page

Hope the information I provided helps.

Ferdz Amp, Oct 26, 2019
  6. Windows 10 Storage Spaces rebalancing

I'm sorry to hear that you've been having problems optimizing your storage pool and removing disks. We made some improvements to this functionality in the

Windows 10 November update
    , so I'd suggest that you install that, upgrade your pool (if necessary), and then try using the Storage Spaces Control Panel to optimize drive usage and/or remove physical disks.

Our latest Help content briefly covers the new Storage Spaces functionality:

Storage Spaces in Windows 10.

I hope this helps!

Jason Gerend - Senior Content Developer for Storage Spaces

Jason Gerend_MSFT, Oct 26, 2019
Thema:

Rename Storage Pool for Storage Spaces in Windows 10

1. Rename Storage Pool for Storage Spaces in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Rename Storage Pool

2. How to Upgrade Storage Pool for Storage Spaces in Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    How to Upgrade Storage Pool for Storage Spaces in Windows 10: [ATTACH]In Storage Spaces, with an upgraded pool, you can optimize drive usage and remove […] This article How to Upgrade Storage Pool for Storage Spaces in Windows 10 first appeared on TheWindowsClub.com. read more...
  3. How to Rename Storage Pool for Storage Spaces in Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    How to Rename Storage Pool for Storage Spaces in Windows 10: [ATTACH]When you create a new storage pool for Storage Spaces, it is named StoragePool by […] This article How to Rename Storage Pool for Storage Spaces in Windows 10 first appeared on TheWindowsClub.com. read more...
  4. How to Rename Physical Drive in Storage Pool for Storage Spaces in Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    How to Rename Physical Drive in Storage Pool for Storage Spaces in Windows 10: [ATTACH]Essentially, Storage Spaces stores two copies of your data so if one of your […] This article How to Rename Physical Drive in Storage Pool for Storage Spaces in Windows 10 first appeared on TheWindowsClub.com. read more...
  5. Change Storage Space in Storage Pool in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Change Storage Space in Storage Pool in Windows 10: How to: Change Storage Space in Storage Pool in Windows 10 How to Change Storage Space in Storage Pool in Windows 10 [img] Information add more drives to the storage pool. This tutorial will show you how to change the name, drive letter, and size of a storage space...
  6. Rename Physical Drive in Storage Pool for Storage Spaces in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Rename Physical Drive in Storage Pool for Storage Spaces in Windows 10: How to: Rename Physical Drive in Storage Pool for Storage Spaces in Windows 10 How to Rename Physical Drive in Storage Pool for Storage Spaces in Windows 10 [img] Information add more drives to the storage pool. When you add drives to a storage pool, the hardware...
  7. Upgrade Storage Pool for Storage Spaces in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Upgrade Storage Pool for Storage Spaces in Windows 10: How to: Upgrade Storage Pool for Storage Spaces in Windows 10 How to Upgrade Storage Pool for Storage Spaces in Windows 10 [img] Information add more drives to the storage pool. If you created a storage pool in Windows 8.1 and either remove drives from pools...
  8. Delete Storage Pool for Storage Spaces in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Delete Storage Pool for Storage Spaces in Windows 10: How to: Delete Storage Pool for Storage Spaces in Windows 10 How to Delete a Storage Pool for Storage Spaces in Windows 10 [img] Information add more drives to the storage pool. This tutorial will show you how to delete a storage pool for Storage Spaces in Windows...
  9. Create Storage Space for Storage Pool in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Create Storage Space for Storage Pool in Windows 10: How to: Create Storage Space for Storage Pool in Windows 10 How to Create a Storage Space for Storage Pool in Windows 10 [img] Information add more drives to the storage pool. This tutorial will show you how to create a storage space for a storage pool in Windows...
  10. Add Drives to Storage Pool for Storage Spaces in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Add Drives to Storage Pool for Storage Spaces in Windows 10: How to: Add Drives to Storage Pool for Storage Spaces in Windows 10 How to Add Drives to Storage Pool for Storage Spaces in Windows 10 [img] Information create virtual drives called storage spaces. These storage spaces typically store two copies of your data so if one...