Windows 10: Renamed PC name not showing in MS account devices

Discus and support Renamed PC name not showing in MS account devices in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; Hi This is more frustrating than anything. I installed Windows 10, and after signing in with my Microsoft account I remembered to rename the PC from... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by DuncanP, Sep 23, 2015.

1. DuncanP Win User

Renamed PC name not showing in MS account devices

Hi

This is more frustrating than anything. I installed Windows 10, and after signing in with my Microsoft account I remembered to rename the PC from the DESKTOP-blah name to something more memorable. However, when I look at the devices in my Microsoft account settings (Sign in to your Microsoft account) I still see the old name. I've removed the PC from the MS account devices, and switched to a local account on the PC then back to my MS account again, but it re-adds the PC with the old name each time.

Any ideas how I get my MS account to forget about the old name altogether?

Duncan

:)

DuncanP, Sep 23, 2015

2. Renaming an activated Win 10 device

I have renamed a recently activated Win10 pc (upgrade went fine ) - but the device is showing as it's old name in Microsoft account - will it eventually show the new name? - it's now several days since the rename?

MadCabbage, Sep 23, 2015
  3. Have another account after rename pc

hi there..i want to rename my pc...when i rename it,after reboot it will show 2 account on logon screen..the same account as admin account..this is my home pc..its not connected to other pc or devices..how to resolve this..if change to previous name it
    be fine

MohamadSofian, Sep 23, 2015
  4. DuncanP Win User

An update:

I reset Windows through Settings/Update & Security/Recovery, removing my user account, applications and settings completely and starting again with a local account. It came up with a new computer name, DESKTOP-blah2, so I renamed it and restarted before I signed in with my Microsoft account for the first time.

After verifying my account with the Authenticator app and waiting for a bit, lo and behold the computer re-appears in my devices list online - With the DESKTOP-blah2 name! How is that even possible given that it had that name for less than a minute, during which time I was only signed in with a local account!??

I think at this point I might give up as it seems I'm doomed to see my computer referred to by its silly default name forever *Sad

Unless anyone has any bright ideas?

DuncanP, Sep 23, 2015
  5. topgundcp Win User
    Just a thought, use web browser and type in the address field: onedrive.com and sign in with your MS Account. Click on the wheel on top right of the browser->Options and check if your PC Settings is saved in onedrive under device backups.

topgundcp, Sep 23, 2015
  6. DuncanP Win User
    Thanks for your reply.

As it happened, I had a backup in there for the same PC (with the same memorable name) from before I wiped Windows 8.1 and installed Windows 10. I've now removed it as it was no longer relevant anyway.

As an aside, OneDrive itself manages fine with the memorable name - it hasn't tried to use the DESKTOP-blah2 name at all.

DuncanP, Sep 23, 2015
  7. wdogg590 Win User
    Created an account to post here as well. Having the same issue after reinstalling Windows 10 (fourth time in a week last night) trying to see if I could refresh the PC name. No avail.

Spent 3 hours with Microsoft Support and got hung up on after countless, "We're transferring to so and so department."

This was just working two weeks ago doing the first clean install. After encountering some bugs with the built-in Windows apps, I tried again, and the PC name no longer syncs to my account. Still having issues after another reinstall and a 'Reset' suggested by a support tech. Very frustrating indeed!!!

wdogg590, Sep 25, 2015
  8. DuncanP Win User

I know it's not great news for you, but it's encouraging to hear that I'm not the only one with this issue! I'm wondering if it might have something to do with the name of the PC when Windows first gets activated, as when I reset my PC I was never asked to activate again so it may have done so before I got the chance to rename it. Just speculating though. If you manage to get it sorted out I'd be grateful if you could post back here to let me know.

Thanks

Duncan

DuncanP, Sep 25, 2015
  9. wdogg590 Win User
    Hi Duncan, this thread was literally the only thing I saw on this 'issue'. Good to know what at least one of the many are having such an issue.

When I got up from my nap today, I went to my devices under my Microsoft account and, "what, the name updated?!"

It's possible my constant nagging got someone at MS to refresh my accounts, but I'm thinking because of all the PC's upgrading to Windows 10, their servers are just loaded. It took my PC a day and a half to show the updated name on my account after Resetting my PC from the Recovery page in Settings app. But yeah, I was also getting DESKTOP-xxxxxxx. It's just how Windows 10 does things now I suppose. And since the key is wired to the motherboard, it's not necessary for us to reinsert any keys.

Renaming our PC in the Settings app or System Properties is definitely the right way to do it, we're not crazy Duncan! It sucks but the only option in this case is to wait it out.

wdogg590, Sep 26, 2015
  10. It took my name changes days to show up in My Account.

Cbarnhorst, Sep 26, 2015
  11. I had the same issue and it was resolved with the adice duncanp is giving, mine now works on the 2 new machines, but I cant join network from laptop which is windows 10 home now.

Another issue to solve. *Smile

jenleonard, Sep 26, 2015
  12. DuncanP Win User
    Hi

Another update. The name has now finally changed in the devices list! It's still showing as the old name in the Family page however, but fingers crossed that will eventually update as well.

Thanks for all the comments everyone.

Duncan

DuncanP, Oct 4, 2015
  13. naveenrs Win User

Had the same problem and this worked for me. Deleted the device from microsoft account and restarted the computer. Signed in to a local account. Signed back in to my microsoft account and got the 'verify' button. Verified the device and the renamed PC name shows up in my microsoft account.

PS: Did all this after renaming the pc of course.

naveenrs, Jul 8, 2016
  14. Lmbrt Win User
    Unfortunately, this is still an issue that apparently can be solved in only two ways:

Option A (available only for new PC's or for new Windows installations)
    1. The first time the PC boots do NOT select a Microsoft Account as a Sign-in option.
    2. Change the name of your PC.
    3. Go to Settings\Your accounts, email, Sync, work, family\Your Info and sign in with your Microsoft Account.
    4. Log in to your Microsoft Account on the web, select the tab Devices\Your devices and check that yours is there with the right name. Verify as requested.

Option B (as per DuncanP's post: thank you very much, by the way)
    1. Go to Settings\Your accounts, email, Sync, work, family\Your Info and select Sign in with a local account instead.

Renamed PC name not showing in MS account devices [​IMG]

2. Log in to your Microsoft Account on the web, select the tab Devices\Your devices and use the Remove [device] command on the bottom right to delete your device from the MS database.

Renamed PC name not showing in MS account devices [​IMG]

2. Change the name of your PC.
    3. Go to Settings\Your accounts, email, Sync, work, family\Your Info and switch back to Sign in with your Microsoft Account option.
    3. Log in to your Microsoft Account on the web, select the tab Devices\Your devices and check that yours is there with the right name... IT'S NOT! Keep waiting and your fingers crossed and after a few ages it should appear. Verify as requested.

Now, the question is, why should one take time and trouble to fix such an apparently irrelevant issue?
    In fact, looking at this Thread very few Users lamented such a problem, but IMHO a large majority of people do NOT cross-check the data on their machines with those on MS servers and, as a result, nobody cares about having a different name for their device in the two places.
    Yet, I am puzzled about possible License issues because, as everyone is aware of, licenses are nowadays linked to the machines and NOT to a specific user or to a License Key. In this sense I would rather have all my devices with the right names registered in my Microsft Account to avoid however unlikely license discrepancies in the future. *Wink

Lmbrt, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Renamed PC name not showing in MS account devices - Similar Threads - Renamed name showing

2. How to rename hard drive device name

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to rename hard drive device name: I have two hard drives with the exact same device name, both with bootable Windows versions on them, and I wish to rename them to make them distinguishable from each other when I view them from the BIOS or boot menu. Could someone please advise if this is possible, and if so,...
  3. How to rename hard drive device name

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to rename hard drive device name: I have two hard drives with the exact same device name, both with bootable Windows versions on them, and I wish to rename them to make them distinguishable from each other when I view them from the BIOS or boot menu. Could someone please advise if this is possible, and if so,...
  4. Renaming my PC option is greyed out and it's showing two names

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Renaming my PC option is greyed out and it's showing two names: Hi,I recently renamed my PC and started to remove my license on my software, so I decided to rename it back to the old one. Here's the tricky part, it is now showing two names and the rename button is greyed out. What to do?Regards,Nickolai...
  5. Renaming my PC option is greyed out and it's showing two names

Renaming my PC option is greyed out and it's showing two names: Hi,I recently renamed my PC and started to remove my license on my software, so I decided to rename it back to the old one. Here's the tricky part, it is now showing two names and the rename button is greyed out. What to do?Regards,Nickolai...
  6. Renaming my PC option is greyed out and it's showing two names

in Windows 10 Customization
  7. "Rename this PC" greyed out and two device names

in Windows 10 Customization
    "Rename this PC" greyed out and two device names: HiI recently renamed my PC which caused one of my software licenses to stop working. I then changed it back to the original name, but now Windows is showing two device names and the rename button is greyed out as shown below. Does anyone know why this happened and how I can...
  8. "Rename this PC" greyed out and two device names

in Windows 10 Gaming
    "Rename this PC" greyed out and two device names: HiI recently renamed my PC which caused one of my software licenses to stop working. I then changed it back to the original name, but now Windows is showing two device names and the rename button is greyed out as shown below. Does anyone know why this happened and how I can...
  9. "Rename this PC" greyed out and two device names

10. Device name/Pc name not showing on my microsoft account when using local account on my pc...

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Device name/Pc name not showing on my microsoft account when using local account on my pc...: Hello,Im sorry if this is a newbie question,this is regarding my microsoft account.Yesterday i did a fresh reinstall of windows,everything is working fine and well i just have a question regarding the device showing in my microsoft account.So the thing is when i use a local...