Windows 10: Renaming Drives in RAID 1 Configuration - Necessary Drive Letter Shows

Discus and support Renaming Drives in RAID 1 Configuration - Necessary Drive Letter Shows in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I have a dual Raid 1 configuration with (2) identical 500GB (C*Smile and 1TB (D*Smile drives. When connecting my (2) external hard drives, one of which... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by jasongati, Sep 24, 2016.

1. jasongati Win User

Renaming Drives in RAID 1 Configuration - Necessary Drive Letter Shows

I have a dual Raid 1 configuration with (2) identical 500GB (C*Smile and 1TB (D*Smile drives. When connecting my (2) external hard drives, one of which needs to be named (F*Smile (I have numerous files, folders, icons and programs linked to it), I see that (E*Smile and (F*Smile are the only two drive letters unavailable for use - presumably because they have been allocated as the invisible/dynamic? drives for (C*Smile and (D*Smile, respectively. How do I know which one's RAID Mirror is? And can I just rename that drive so the letter becomes available without interrupting/changing/affecting the RAID configuration? Thanks in advance for anyone that can offer insight.

:)

jasongati, Sep 24, 2016
  2. Zahidah Win User

Unallocated space hinder system image backup

Ran both and no errors were found.

This drive used to be in RAID 1 mode, the RAID failed (reason still unknown since the second drive works fine). At the moment the drive is in AHCI mode, I wanted to backup the drive before I restore the RAID configuration

Zahidah, Sep 24, 2016
  3. tarak73 Win User
    Windows 10 store 0x80070490 after replacing hard drive

Awesome Man, Worked from Me.

What I have found is the Volume UID which changed after my RAID-1 configuration still pointed to old and somehow not allowing Windows store to install in that drive letter, Rather than changing drive letter went with above changes, it seems to be working
    now. Still testing some scenarios though, It's weird that when pointed the location back to C:/ and re-pointed again to DRenaming Drives in RAID 1 Configuration - Necessary Drive Letter Shows :(or whatever) Windows cannot clean itself and retains its entries!.

tarak73, Sep 24, 2016
  4. pbcopter Win User

Welcome.

Have you checked to see if either your CD/DVD drive(s) or perhaps card reader drives aren't using those letters?
    I have never seen the system allocate additional drive letters to RAID components except the primary, in your case C:.

pbcopter, Sep 24, 2016
  5. jasongati Win User
    Sorry, should have included that information initially - yes, the (2) Blu-Ray/CD optical drives (#0 and #1) are allocated to I and J, respectively. That is the thing, when I click on either E or F in the Computer Management screen, it has them labeled as Disk 4 and Disk 5, respectively, and states that they are Removable, No Media but when I click on properties tab to check on which one would be the 500GB and which one would be the 1TB one, it just says their Device Type is SD/MMC USB and Partition Style is Master Boot Record.

jasongati, Sep 24, 2016
  6. pbcopter Win User
    That would indicate that they are Card Reader drives (SD/MMC USB). Just change them to unused letters in Disk Management.
    That should allow Windows to assign your external drive to E: and F:

pbcopter, Sep 25, 2016
  7. jasongati Win User
    That is very great news, thanks. I wonder why they are the only (2) drive letters that show as unavailable? Also, just to be clear, would it be accurate to say that:
    (+) the (2) respective invisible RAID mirror drives are essentially unseen by the system(s) in that they are not assigned drive letters (since E and F are card readers)
    (+) since they are essentially invisible, there is no actual way to verify that the mirrored copy is complete and accurate (i.e., by viewing/confirming that each has X gigabytes of data)?

Thanks again for your time

jasongati, Sep 25, 2016
  8. pbcopter Win User

Yes once the drives are in an array, you cannot see them individually. They becomes essentially one drive. The RAID controller will make sure that the drives are complete and accurate.

Windows assigns drive letters in order unless you specify them individually, except for C:. C: is your system drive ( the RAID), next is your 1TB drive D:, then the installed Card Reader drives E: and F: . When you plug in an external drive, it would become G:

Also, if the Card Reader drives are not displayed in Computer, it is because it is set to hide empty drives, the default.

pbcopter, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Renaming Drives in RAID 1 Configuration - Necessary Drive Letter Shows - Similar Threads - Renaming Drives RAID

2. Raid 0 only showing 1 drive, other is showing as unallocated

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Raid 0 only showing 1 drive, other is showing as unallocated: I Just recently reimaged my precision 7530 laptop with Raid 0 using 2 512GB drives, it was just getting very laggy, but was working ok, and the Raid 0 was also working just fine as well. After several failed attempts to get the install to even see both drives, windows...
  3. Rename Drive Letter C?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Rename Drive Letter C?: I installed a new SSD drive and named it "E". Using Macrium software I cloned my "C" drive onto the new SSD "E". I also changed the boot order in the BIOS so it boots from "E." Now I want to swap letter names so my SSD drive becomes "C" and my old drive can be "E" or...
  4. Raid 1 Drives disappeared in Win10

Raid 1 Drives disappeared in Win10: I am using a Dell T-130 server running Windows 10 pro since 2017. The machine is setup to use RAID in the bios. there is a C: drive that the machine boots from and there are 3 identical 1.8T drives that are in a RAID 1 config. These show as D: drive. There is also a DVR RW...
  5. Configuring RAID 1 on Windows 10

Configuring RAID 1 on Windows 10: I have read that Win 10 has the software to run a RAID 1 without a controller but it wasn't an option in Disk Management on my Windows 10 Home edition. Is this only a Win 10 Pro feature? If I buy an upgrade to convert my Home edition to Pro will 'mirroring' capability be...
  6. windows 10 2 drive letters for 1 drive

windows 10 2 drive letters for 1 drive: I upgraded my computer a LOT. AMD Threadripper 1950x with msi x399 board. 16g memory. GIGABYTE GeForce GTX 1650 NEW PROBLEM My E: drive, an old 1T Seagate has a twin drive, F:, showing in My Computer. It is ALMOST exactly the same as the E:. FreeFileSync shows just a few...
  7. How do I get both drives to show in W expl with RAID 1 configuration?

How do I get both drives to show in W expl with RAID 1 configuration?: Hi. I ordered my computer with two hard drives configured in Raid 1 (mirror) format two years ago. This has worked perfectly well. In windows explorer, both drives showed (with different drive letters). After a problem with the PC recently, I reloaded W10 from scratch and...
  8. How do I get both drives to show in W expl with RAID 1 configuration?

in Windows 10 Support
    How do I get both drives to show in W expl with RAID 1 configuration?: Hi. I ordered my computer with two hard drives configured in Raid 1 (mirror) format two years ago. This has worked perfectly well. In windows explorer, both drives showed (with different drive letters). After a problem with the PC recently, I reloaded W10 from scratch and...
  9. Twin drives configured as Raid 1 shows as separate drivers after Windows update

Twin drives configured as Raid 1 shows as separate drivers after Windows update: Hi Windows 10 PC with twin hard drives set up in Raid 1 format (ie any saved files save to both drives). Separate SSD for C Drive which holds any programmes. My Raid Drives are both drive D and show as two separate folders named "Raid 1 (D:)" in the file explorer. When...
  10. RAID 1 Recognized as 2 Hard Drives

RAID 1 Recognized as 2 Hard Drives: My custom build is now about a year old. Whe n I first set it up, I configured hardware RAID 1 and the fresh windows install worked perfect. Now after a few upgrades the drives are not seen as a RAID anymore but 1 separate drives. Funny thing is when I mounted on a...