Windows 10: Renaming File Properties throws Error 0x80030070

Discus and support Renaming File Properties throws Error 0x80030070 in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hello, I am Brandon. I have a lot of videos on my drive. Most of them are either .avi or .mp4 They are located on 2 TB+ external hard drives... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by bnthomason, Oct 29, 2017.

1. Renaming File Properties throws Error 0x80030070

Hello, I am Brandon.

I have a lot of videos on my drive. Most of them are either .avi or .mp4

They are located on 2 TB+ external hard drives formatted as NTFS

Each drive has at least 50+ GB left.

I am trying to rename certain file properties so that the name of the video will show up as the same name of the file name in Windows media player (I prefer not to use other players as they either 1. Don't have the exact features as windows media player has 2. The features they have function different than Windows Media Player) The problem with this is whenever I rename/change a file's properties over 1 GB in size, it takes forever to do it, and eventually, after about an hour of waiting, throws the error code 0x80030070: There is insuffient disk space to complete the operations.

No video exceeds 50 GB, so, why is this throwing an error code? I am afraid to defragment the hard drive in the case that the drive may crash (I had that happen a long time ago to an older drive... the defragging caused the drive to malfunction, and I lost almost, if not, all my data, even after taking it into the manufacturer)

I don't want to reformat the hard drive... I don't have any available drives at the moment to transfer the files to, nor do I have any backups of the files (I would have to get at least 12 TB of external hard drive space to do this. Any suggestions on what I should get in the future that will last me another 4 years? I've tried the WB 8 GB duo pro, but it turned out to not work because it was programmed to store files different: You have to use the software to store files, and they can only be certain file types. It comes with a proprietary cable that only goes to the drive, and one of the drives fails, your out of luck, since it requires both drives to function properly)

I simply want to rename the file properties, but I cannot do this if this error keeps happening. I don't know what to do, other than defragment, or delete files I may want in the future (Most of the memory used is videos, about 3 TB worth on one drive, and 1 TB on the 2 TBs. a Quarter is Music, and the rest is created or downloaded stuff that I intend on keeping.)

With over 50 GB available, and only renaming a file worth 48 GB, I should be fine. Should I attempt a defrag? A disk check?

I can rename anything else just fine. It's just the videos causing a problem.

(If you were wondering about the videos, they are gameplay videos.)

:)

bnthomason, Oct 29, 2017

2. renaming a file/folder in windows 10 does not allow enough time to rename.

Had this problem too. Right click on folder, scroll down to properties. In the box change it to whatever name you wish. As long as the folder isn't open it will change, plus you have more time to change it. Different route, but works

RondaWalter, Oct 29, 2017
  3. Justin_AZ Win User
    You need permission to perform this action when removing file properties.

Any luck resolving this issue? I'm also unable to remove properties from MKV files. I've tried renaming to other video extension types but when I do so I no longer see the properties I wanted to remove (they are all blank). I've made sure that I have administrative
    access to the file and I've even tried removing the metadata using VLC launched as an administrator.

Nothing seems to work to remove the properties of the mkv file.

It seems I'm also unable to copy the file through an RDP session to another windows 10 and an older windows 7 machine. I just get a really generic error "Error copying FIle or Folder" with the error text "Unspecified Error".

Justin_AZ, Oct 29, 2017
  4. lx07 Win User

Renaming File Properties throws Error 0x80030070

You have 2TB disks with 50GB free (so your free space is 2%). Is that right? And no backup?

If not how much free space do you have on each disk? As a percentage.

You will certainly run into problems if you try to completely fill your disks and defrag would make it worse (actually it probably would not even work due to lack of free disk space). You would be better off not defragging but copying to another disk and copying back.

Copy the important ones elsewhere or upload them to the cloud and hope for the best.

If you don't have a backup you are relying on hope and hoping all your disks will last another 4 years is pushing hope into a difficult corner.

5. No cloud offers 12 TB worth of space for free. If they did, that would be insane.

Anyway, mostly 1% to 10% free space per drive

I see where your coming from, but I can't just whip out 5 to 10k of dollars like that. I make like... under 2k a month, and most of that goes to rent and utilities.

bnthomason, Oct 29, 2017
  6. Ztruker Win User
    Ztruker, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Renaming File Properties throws Error 0x80030070

1. Renaming File Properties throws Error 0x80030070 - Similar Threads - Renaming File Properties

2. Filer explorer - rename file properties

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Filer explorer - rename file properties: Hi there, We, my office and I, wish to rename the properties available in Windows File Explorer. How can we do this? And will the changes be visible ie. MacOS?Attaching a screenshot where the rows mentioned are highlighted.Thanks,B...
  3. Filer explorer - rename file properties

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Filer explorer - rename file properties: Hi there, We, my office and I, wish to rename the properties available in Windows File Explorer. How can we do this? And will the changes be visible ie. MacOS?Attaching a screenshot where the rows mentioned are highlighted.Thanks,B...
  4. BSoD throwing the DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION error

in Windows 10 Gaming
    BSoD throwing the DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION error: Hello, just yesterday I started getting BSoD throwing the DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOATION error, and it was the same day that my apartment got the wifi upgraded, so it may be in relation to that. I've tried updating my ssd drivers, my wifi adapter drivers, my graphics drivers, and I...
  5. BSoD throwing the DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION error

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    BSoD throwing the DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION error: Hello, just yesterday I started getting BSoD throwing the DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOATION error, and it was the same day that my apartment got the wifi upgraded, so it may be in relation to that. I've tried updating my ssd drivers, my wifi adapter drivers, my graphics drivers, and I...
  6. Update error file properties .MOV files

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Update error file properties .MOV files: Dear Microsoft, Updating file properties (rating, dates) for .MOV files provides the error below. I update normally through Windows Photo Gallery but notices the files are not updated accordingly. When trying through the File Explorer the related error becomes visible. This...
  7. Get-mpcomputerstatus throwing error

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Get-mpcomputerstatus throwing error: Hi, When I am trying to get result from powershell command "Get-MpComputerStatus" it is throwing below error: [ATTACH] I have checked the WinDefend service it is in started status. Checked event logs it is showing caused due to unknown error. OS edition : Windows 7...
  8. In Explorer,Able to rename a file but unable to Change Properties, Though It is...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    In Explorer,Able to rename a file but unable to Change Properties, Though It is...: When I go a particular Folder or Sub-folder in Windows Explorer Ver, 10,In Explorer,I am able to rename few particular files but I am unable to change their properties. They are unprotected.They are not hidden. They are not read only even. I have Full Read, Write and Control...
  9. Folder renames-except it doesn't in Properties

in Windows 10 Support
    Folder renames-except it doesn't in Properties: I had an empty folder I thought I'd use instead of creating a new one so I renamed it. Worked fine-until I tried referring to it in an HTML file. Surprise-it kept the original name in Sharing & Security Properties. And, BTW, it wasn't shared-this was simply an internal...
  10. How to Bulk Rename files with information from file "properties"?

in Windows 10 Support
    How to Bulk Rename files with information from file "properties"?: I recently had a hard drive failure that cost me fifteen years worth of files and data. I am recovering the files currently using Puran file recovery, which seems to be working. However, all the MS Word files (for instance) I recover are simply named "0000001.docx" and the...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. error 0x80030070 renaming