Windows 10: Renaming User Accounts and their folders

Discus and support Renaming User Accounts and their folders in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; In a short while I will be purchasing a Windows 10 PC, but I am not sure if I'll be able to tell them I want to install Win10 myself or if they'll do... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by Foebane72, May 19, 2016.

1. Foebane72 Win User

Renaming User Accounts and their folders

In a short while I will be purchasing a Windows 10 PC, but I am not sure if I'll be able to tell them I want to install Win10 myself or if they'll do it for me.

The point is, all the software I've collected, executables and all, is stored in my present Windows 7 folder:

And in various subfolders from this root.

If my main User Account is already set up by the time I get my Win10 PC, is there a way I can change the folder as well as the name of the User Account? I've heard the latter is simple, but more involved for the former.

So can this be done?

:)

Foebane72, May 19, 2016

2. Renaming the users folders

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

You are trying to rename the User folder, which can’t be done through the File explorer. Whatever user name you use of your User account, user account folder will have same name. You can rename the Subfolder of the User account folder but not User
    account folder.

If you want rename the User account folder, change user account name using the suggestion

Lets’ refer to these steps to rename the User account and check if that helps.

• Press Windows and X keys together.
    • Click on Control Panel, click on User Accounts.
    • Click on User account, then click on “Change your account name
    • If it’s prompting for password please enter and click on Yes. If you do not have password click on
      Yes.
    • Enter the new user name.
    • Click on change name.

Reference link for more information.

Windows 8 User Folder Rename.

Windows 8 User Folder Rename

Please do let us know if you need further help.

Mohammed Yaseer, May 19, 2016
  3. DaveM121 Win User
    Is there any way to change the user folder windows 10?

No there is no way to rename the user folder in Windows 10, this is a bug in Windows 10, if you change the user account name, the folder does not get renamed. The only way is as you suggest and create a new user account and copy your files over to that user
    , then delete the old user account.

DaveM121, May 19, 2016
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

You would create a new local user account with the user name you want, change the account type to administrator, and then copy the desired data into the new user folder. Then delete the old account.

NavyLCDR, May 19, 2016
  5. Foebane72 Win User
    Oh wow, didn't know it was as simple as that! Thanks!

Foebane72, May 19, 2016
  6. Kari Win User
    If the PC comes with a preset user account, the only thing you need to do is to create a new user account using any name you want to. Even if you want to start using a Microsoft account instead of a local account, a feature not available in Windows 7, create your new user account as a local account and switch to MS account later when signed in to this new user account.

Important to remember is to make your new, final user account as an adminsitartor account; by default the first user created in Windows 10 will be an admin, all successive accounts only standard.

When you have created the new account and made it admin, you can then remove the preset account.

ToDo list:
    • Sign in to preset user account set by PC seller
    • Create your personal, new account as local account
    • Still signed in to preset account, make your new self created account admin
    • Sign out from preset account
    • Sign in to your new account
    • Remove the preset account
    • Switch to MS account if preferred
    Tutorials:

If the PC comes with preinstalled Windows with no user accounts set up (as in most cases with new PC), the first boot starts a so called Windows 10 - Clean Install - Windows 10 Forums.

Notice that setting your user account up as a local account is recommended also for those users who want to use an MS account. When an account is set up as an MS account, Windows uses a five character abbreviation for the user profile name and user folder name. An example: let's say your MS account email address is foebane.doe@anyemailprovider.com. Windows would in this case create the user profile and its folder named as foedo, three characters from the first name (before the dot), two characters from last name (after the dot), or as foeba, five first characters of the email address.

By creating first a local account Foebane, that will be the name of the profile and your user folder. Now when switching to MS account, that name will be kept.

7. Foebane72 Win User
    I'm using Win7 with constant nagging for me to install Win10. What if I was to upgrade?

I should point out that I've already tried upgrading, but I think my user account was not full admin, so I was stuck with making changes to files and had constant messages about files being "read-only" and all that irritating nonsense, and I was crippled.

So how should I proceed if I wish to finally upgrade, if I'm getting a Win10 system later on anyway?

Foebane72, May 19, 2016
  8. Kari Win User

In-place upgrade, Seven to Ten, you will have no issues with your user profile name and personal data. Everything will be the same after the upgrade, your username, your profile folder and son.

9. Foebane72 Win User
    But I did have problems, I just said.

Foebane72, May 19, 2016
  10. Kari Win User
    You misread my post. What I said is that when you upgrade you will have no issues with your user profile folder and username because they will remain the same, intact.

That you have other issues with upgrade is another issue. Of course you must be a local admin, your account being an admin account to be able to upgrade.

11. Foebane72 Win User
    But after upgrading, my account from the former Win7 install was NOT a full admin account, otherwise I would NOT have had the issue of read-only prompts constantly.

Foebane72, May 19, 2016
  12. Kari Win User
    I have never heard / seen / read Windows 10 upgrade changing an underlying Windows 7, 8 or 8.1 admin account to a standard account. It just don't happen.

13. NavyLCDR New Member

From a command prompt you can run the following command to see which user accounts are in the administrators group:

net localgroup administrators

NavyLCDR, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Renaming User Accounts and their folders - Similar Threads - Renaming User Accounts

2. Rename the user folder

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Rename the user folder: Hello!I just bought a new computer with Windows 11. When I set it up it asked me for my full name. when the setup guide finished I noticed that my user folder had my full name C:\users<user name>. The problem is that my name is Björn and Ö is not a standard letter. Having...
  3. Rename the user folder

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Rename the user folder: Hello!I just bought a new computer with Windows 11. When I set it up it asked me for my full name. when the setup guide finished I noticed that my user folder had my full name C:\users<user name>. The problem is that my name is Björn and Ö is not a standard letter. Having...
  4. renaming user folder?

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    renaming user folder?: I just got a new computer and set it up and then realized my user folder only has the first six letters of my name...if I rename it to my full first name will apps that have already run got messed up because they will be looking for data in the wrong users folder? Tia...
  5. renaming user folder?

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    renaming user folder?: I just got a new computer and set it up and then realized my user folder only has the first six letters of my name...if I rename it to my full first name will apps that have already run got messed up because they will be looking for data in the wrong users folder? Tia...
  6. Renamed User account, now want to rename its folder

Renamed User account, now want to rename its folder: I renamed a User account by using netplwiz. It was all good - the user can easily login and see all his files. Now I need to rename C:\User\<name> folder accordingly, but it does not work. The user cannot see his files upon logging in. I believe that there must be...
  7. User Folder Renamed

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    User Folder Renamed: I just renamed my user folder in Windows 10 admin mode without understanding what that would do. Now i cannot access all my old files. How can I recover my work? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/user-folder-renamed/cca273bc-0d0f-42cc-a140-5c4775f1da2f
  8. Rename a User folder

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Rename a User folder: Hello there! I need to change my User name. I changed th name in the Registry editor here: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList.But I cannot rename the particular folder inside the Users folder, I simply don't have such an option after...
  9. Rename user folder?

Rename user folder?: Hello, it's not much of an issue just a personal preference, however how would I go about to changing my user folder name? Thanks. 34760
  10. Rename user folder?

Rename user folder?: Hello. I guess since i installed windows 10 using my microsoft account, my user folder got named after my microsoft mail, or some part of it anyway. So am wondering if it's possible to rename the user folder somehow? 8699