Windows 10: Change how Long to Keep File History in Windows 10

Discus and support Change how Long to Keep File History in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Change how Long to Keep File History in Windows 10 How to Change how Long to Keep File History in Windows 10 [img] Information File... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by Brink, Mar 17, 2015.

1. Brink
    Brink New Member

Change how Long to Keep File History in Windows 10

How to: Change how Long to Keep File History in Windows 10

How to Change how Long to Keep File History in Windows 10

Change how Long to Keep File History in Windows 10 [​IMG]
    Information File History was first introduced in Windows 8, and has been improved in Windows 10.

You can use File History to automatically back up versions of your files on a schedule to a location you select to save to. You can select to save backups to an internal hard drive, externally connected drive (ex: USB drive), or you can save to a drive on a network. You can add, remove, and exclude folders to be backed up by File History.

The default folders in your "C:\Users\(user name)" profile folder are added by default to be backed up by File History.

Over time, you'll have a complete history of your files. If the originals are lost, damaged, or deleted, you can restore them. You can also browse and restore different versions of your files.

This tutorial will show you how to change how long you want to keep saved versions of your files with File History before automatically being deleted for your account in Windows 10.

Warning Making new backups with File History is no longer supported starting with Windows 10 build 16215.

You can still restore files from an existing File History backup though.

File History will eventually be replaced by a new feature called Timeline.

CONTENTS:
    • Option One: To Change how Long to Keep File History in Settings
    • Option Two: To Change how Long to Keep File History in Control Panel

OPTION ONE [/i] To Change how Long to Keep File History in Settings
    1. Open Settings, and click/tap on the Update & security icon.

2. Click/tap on Backup on the left side, and click/tap on the More options on the right side. (see screenshot below)

3. Choose how often you want to save copies of your files in the Keep my backups drop menu at the top. (see screenshot below)

4. When finished, you can close Settings if you like.

OPTION TWO [/i] To Change how Long to Keep File History in Control Panel
    1. Open the Control Panel (icons view), and click/tap on the File History icon.

2. Click/tap on the Advanced settings link on the left side. (see screenshot below)

3. Choose how often you want to save copies of your files in the Keep saved versions drop menu. (see screenshot below)

4. Click/tap on Save changes. (see screenshot below)

5. When finished, you can close the File History control panel if you like.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

Brink, Mar 17, 2015
  2. GaryBetty Win User

How to reconnect file history drive? Windows 10

I cannot reconnect my file history file drive

GaryBetty, Oct 26, 2019
  3. How to reconnect file history drive? Windows 10

Hi Hite,

Thank you for contacting Microsoft Community.

This message occurs if your File History drive has been disconnected for long time.

In order to assist you better please confirm a few of things:

• When exactly do you get this popup?
    • What is the exact popup message are you getting?

I suggest you to follow the steps from the below article “Reconnect your File History drive” and check if it helps.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/reconnect-your-file-history-drive

Hope this information is helpful and do let us know if you need further assistance. We will be glad to assist.

Karthicka_R, Oct 26, 2019
  4. Ahhzz Win User

Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Oct 26, 2019
  5. Junaid_A Win User
    File History restart

Hi Jim,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community forums.

To change the backup drive for File History, the current process should be stopped. I suggest you to try the steps listed below to stop file history on an older drive and restart it on a new drive:

Change File History backup drive:

• Open Settings and navigate to Update & Security > Backup.
    • Click on More Options, scroll down to locate
      Backup to a different drive section, and choose Stop Using Drive.
    • Plug in the new storage drive, navigate to Settings > Update & Security > Backup,
      and choose Add a Drive.
    • Restart File History and configure it by referring to the article

File History in Windows

Hope it helps.

Regards,

Junaid_A, Oct 26, 2019
  6. How to reconnect file history drive? Windows 10

I cannot reconnect my device, I got a notice to reconnect my device I don.t know how please help

marydonato, Oct 26, 2019
Thema:

1. Change how Long to Keep File History in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Change Long Keep

2. file history backup disconnected too long

in Windows 10 Gaming
    file history backup disconnected too long: error msg "file history backup drive disconnected too long" Cannot re-establish backup https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-history-backup-disconnected-too-long/db0bfb53-f79b-4b2d-8f21-2765adcef4c7
  3. file history backup disconnected too long

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    file history backup disconnected too long: error msg "file history backup drive disconnected too long" Cannot re-establish backup https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-history-backup-disconnected-too-long/db0bfb53-f79b-4b2d-8f21-2765adcef4c7
  4. File History - Files with long path names.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File History - Files with long path names.: In August 2016, @gacpac posted that "File history doesn't let you back up long path file names".Does this problem still exist in Windows 11? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-history-files-with-long-path-names/2482af76-4e9d-4ddd-aa8a-098efbf690a3
  5. File History - Files with long path names.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    File History - Files with long path names.: In August 2016, @gacpac posted that "File history doesn't let you back up long path file names".Does this problem still exist in Windows 11? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-history-files-with-long-path-names/2482af76-4e9d-4ddd-aa8a-098efbf690a3
  6. How to stop Win 10 File History constantly changing the window to File Explorer?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How to stop Win 10 File History constantly changing the window to File Explorer?: I'm using Win 10 Backup File History with the default setttings from Setting > Backup to copy my hard disk. Unfortuately it keeps beeping and changing the active window to File Explorer. Can I stop this and how please?Many thanks...
  7. How long a history does Win 10's clipboard history save?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How long a history does Win 10's clipboard history save?: Hello! Usage of a clipboard manager has always been a big thing for me. It improves productivity and overall, just makes some types of repetitive work a lot of easier. Till today, I have always used Ditto. Then I discovered that Windows 10 has the same functionality. Not...
  8. File History and Long Path Names

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    File History and Long Path Names: Shawn - or anybody that knows... Can you tell me if FH manifest is Long Path aware? (Sorry - All the FH .manifest files I can find are binary, not text) I am trying to help a dyslexic user with memory problems (memory as in "brain", not "bytes") Her system is Win 10 Home,...
  9. File History and Long Path Names

in Windows 10 Customization
    File History and Long Path Names: Shawn - or anybody that knows... Can you tell me if FH manifest is Long Path aware? (Sorry - All the FH .manifest files I can find are binary, not text) I am trying to help a dyslexic user with memory problems (memory as in "brain", not "bytes") Her system is Win 10 Home,...
  10. Change how Often to Save File History in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Change how Often to Save File History in Windows 10: How to: Change how Often to Save File History in Windows 10 How to Change how Often to Save File History in Windows 10 [img] Information File History was first introduced in Windows 8, and has been improved in Windows 10. You can use File History to automatically...