Windows 10: Repair install blocked by Unsupported Directory

Discus and support Repair install blocked by Unsupported Directory in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I apologize - I believe I've confused my issue with my previous posts. However, I've also managed to clean things up a bit: I'm trying to perform a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Nisko, Jul 4, 2017.

1. Nisko Win User

Repair install blocked by Unsupported Directory

I apologize - I believe I've confused my issue with my previous posts. However, I've also managed to clean things up a bit:

I'm trying to perform a "Repair Install" on my Windows 10 installation - which has the Anniversary update installed. I used the Windows 10 media creation tool to place my installation files on a flash drive. When attempting the repair installation, I am stopped by the following Microsoft message: "You can't keep Windows settings, personal files, and apps because your current version of Windows might be installed in an unsupported directory." This is supposed to be a "Repair Install" so I obviously don't want to lose anything. Below is the screenshot of my Disk Management as it is now. Can anyone help please?

Attachment 142572

:)

Nisko, Jul 4, 2017

2. You can't keep Windows settings, personal files and apps because your current version of Windows might be installed in an unsupported directory.

HE IS doing a repair install.

and like me, when he gets to the screen that says choose what to keep.. all options are greyed out but "nothing"

and says you are either trying to install and older version of windows.. which is a big negatory.. or its in an unsupported directory.. Since my windows is installed in c:\windows .. which has been the directory since windows 3.1 days.. i think its in a
    supported directory.

joulesbeef1, Jul 4, 2017
  3. Update KB4022730 / KB4022725 fails with Error code 0x80073712 / 0x80070bc9 / 0x8007371B

The current version of Windows might be installed in an unsupported directory.

Is this the case??

Sumit Dhiman2, Jul 4, 2017
  4. dalchina New Member

Hi, firstly, downloading an iso using that tool means you would be upgrading to the current build- the creator's build. The procedure for upgrading is the same as for an in-place repair. The outcome depends on the iso used. If you use an Anniversary build iso, you will revert to the base build of the Anniversary build.

So it depends what you want to achieve. As yo have Pro, you could choose to defer the upgrade (= for a few months).

This link is to a tool that allows you to choose the iso you want:
    Download Microsoft Windows ISO Download Tool - MajorGeeks

Secondly, as you'll have realised, that message is misleading and unclear- it basically means something is not set up as Windows expects it to be.

It may occur (for example)
    - because of a mismatch of the iso with your installed Win 10.
    See
    Fix:
    - if you've changed the path to installed programs in the registry
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SOFTWARE/Microsoft/Windows/CurrentVersion
    - if you've moved your user folder:
    Want to update to windows 10 but have moved the users directory - Super User

In your case it would be worth checking the recovery partition is actually properly related to your OS.
    Try restarting using
    SHIFT + left click restart

Do you (eventually) see a full set of options from System Restore to Command Prompt?
    (As here:
    Boot to Advanced Startup Options in Windows 10 Windows 10 Installation Upgrade Tutorials
    )

Again, referring to your previous thread
    Problem doing a Repair Install - Windows 10 Forums

dalchina, Jul 4, 2017
  5. Nisko Win User
    Thank you for replying. There are a lot of Windows 10 choices to download Please tell me the one I need. Also, before I try this again, I want to be sure I have the Anniversary Update (not the Creator's Update). How do I check this? Also, after the Anniversary update, I have whatever other smaller updates have occurred. Will this stop me doing a Repair Install because of the error message I'm receiving about an unsupported directory? Yes, I realize the message is misleading. I just need to fix whatever is wrong. Thank you.

Nisko, Jul 4, 2017
  6. dalchina New Member
    dalchina, Jul 4, 2017
  7. Nisko Win User
    How do I do: SHIFT + left click restart ? Does that take three hands? I'm serious - I don't know how to do what you recommend. Please explain.

Nisko, Jul 4, 2017
  8. NavyLCDR New Member

Open the start menu, click on the power icon, then hold down the shift key while you left click (which is the standard click button on the mouse) on the restart option.

However, that is not a true test of the recovery partition being associated with your install of Windows 10 because the same advanced troubleshooting menu will open even if the recovery partition is not associated with your install.

The real test if the recovery partition is associated with your install of Windows 10 is to open a Command Prompt (Admin) or Powershell (Admin) and run:

reagentc /info

You get the Command Prompt (Admin) or Powershell (Admin) from the list that appears if you press the windows key and X at the same time. They are usually right next to each other on the keyboard, so you only need two fingers on one hand to do that *Wink

The response to reagentc /info should say the recovery environment is enabled and the WinRE path is set to the recovery partition.

NavyLCDR, Jul 4, 2017
  9. fdegrove Win User
    Hi,

And why 416GB of unallocated space on that 1Tb SSD ??
    When doing a repair install make sure to direct it to the correct partition too.

Cheers, *Wink

fdegrove, Jul 4, 2017
  10. NavyLCDR New Member
    The OP deleted a second installation of Windows 10 that was set up to dual boot thinking that might be part of the problem. You will also notice the OP has a System Reserved partition which is not being used to boot the computer from.

NavyLCDR, Jul 4, 2017
  11. dalchina New Member
    I chose this as the simplest practical non-technical test, being also supported by a tutorial. Sorry if that's too tricky.

dalchina, Jul 4, 2017
  12. NavyLCDR New Member
    @Nisko,

I would try this. Make a bootable USB flash drive of Kyhi's Recovery Tools:
    Windows 10 Recovery Tools - Bootable Rescue Disk - Windows 10 Forums

Boot your computer from Kyhi's Recovery Tools and make the System Reserved Partition Active. The commands to run in the Command Prompt window should be:
    diskpart
    select disk 0
    select part 1
    active
    exit
    exit

Then run Macrium Reflect. Under the restore menu will be a utility to fix windows boot problems. Run that utility. That should make any corrections needed to the System Reserved partition which you just made the active partition. Then reboot the computer normally.

NavyLCDR, Jul 4, 2017
  13. fdegrove Win User

Hi,

Ok, I see that now. So, the boot store is messed up, hence your subsequent advice.

Thanks, *Wink

fdegrove, Jul 4, 2017
  14. Nisko Win User
    To: NavyLCDR: don't understand this comment: You will also notice the OP has a System Reserved partition which is not being used to boot the computer from.

If this is wrong, please help me fix it. If I don't need that System Reserved partition, I'll delete it. I'd like to end up with the cleanest system I can make. Thank you.

Nisko, Jul 5, 2017
  15. Nisko Win User
    To: NavyLCDR: don't understand this comment: You will also notice the OP has a System Reserved partition which is not being used to boot the computer from.

If this is wrong, please help me fix it. If I don't need that System Reserved partition, I'll delete it. I'd like to end up with the cleanest system I can make. Thank you.

This is the result of running reagentc /info: What does this tell you?

Nisko, Jul 5, 2017
Thema:

1. Repair install blocked by Unsupported Directory - Similar Threads - Repair install blocked

2. Active directory RSAT tools block required

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Active directory RSAT tools block required: Hi DearI am using windows server 2019 with an active directory I have more than 1500 user on my server, as well as 20 users has assign local admin like all are enterprise adminthis time I want to revoke local admin and they was used RSAT tools and manage users like user...
  3. Active directory RSAT tools block required

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Active directory RSAT tools block required: Hi DearI am using windows server 2019 with an active directory I have more than 1500 user on my server, as well as 20 users has assign local admin like all are enterprise adminthis time I want to revoke local admin and they was used RSAT tools and manage users like user...
  4. Active directory RSAT tools block required

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Installing windows on unsupported CPU.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Installing windows on unsupported CPU.: Hello, I am currently using original copy of Windows 10. My pc satisfies all the requirements except the CPU Intel i3 7th Gen. If I install windows 11 using ISO or any other methods will my windows version get pirated ? if yes, is there any alternative to upgrade to windows...
  6. Installing windows on unsupported CPU.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Installing windows on unsupported CPU.: Hello, I am currently using original copy of Windows 10. My pc satisfies all the requirements except the CPU Intel i3 7th Gen. If I install windows 11 using ISO or any other methods will my windows version get pirated ? if yes, is there any alternative to upgrade to windows...
  7. Installing windows 11 on unsupported device?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Installing windows 11 on unsupported device?: So as far as I can tell Microsoft says don't install Win11 on unsupported devices because you will not receive updates? But my 10-year-old laptop with Win11 is still receiving Security and cumulative updates?What updates are we getting on Win10 that we are not getting on...
  8. Windows 10 blocks feature updates on PCs with unsupported settings

in Windows 10 News
    Windows 10 blocks feature updates on PCs with unsupported settings: The latest feature update ‘Windows 10 version 2004’, also known as May 2020 Update, is plagued with issues that could potentially cause Blue Screen of Deaths and wreck apps or core features of the operating system on some configurations. In an attempt to ward off widespread...
  9. Edge installation directory ?

in Browsers and Email
    Edge installation directory ?: hello guys, anyone know where is the Edge installed? I want to make some keyboard shortcuts on my macro keys, but I cant find the Edge location to link the program. 17884
  10. Install AU on unsupported laptop

in Windows 10 Support
    Install AU on unsupported laptop: Hi, all, My father has an older Acer laptop that he purchased over 3 years ago. It came running Win8. When the WinX upgrades were freely offered, I had him upgrade to WinX. However, he says that recently it keeps trying to install an update and will freeze up with the...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. unable to repair install windows installed in unsupported directory