Windows 10: Repair Install Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade

Discus and support Repair Install Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Repair Install Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade How to Do a Repair Install of Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade If you're having... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by Night Hawk, Aug 14, 2015.

1. Repair Install Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade

How to: Repair Install Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade

How to Do a Repair Install of Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade

If you're having problems with Windows 10 on your PC, you could use reset Windows.

Refresh your PC Fixes software problems by reinstalling the OS while preserving the user data, user accounts, and important settings. All other preinstalled customizations are restored to their factory state. In Windows 10, this feature no longer preserves user-acquired Windows apps.

Reset your PC prepares the PC for recycling or for transfer of ownership by reinstalling the OS, removing all user accounts and contents (e.g. data, Classic Windows applications, and Universal Windows apps), and restoring preinstalled customizations to their factory state.

The options above are great for what they are intended for, but you could also do a repair install of Windows 10 by performing an in-place upgrade without losing anything other than all installed Windows Updates.
    • You will only be able to do a repair install of Windows 10 from within Windows 10. You will not be able to do a repair install at boot or in Safe Mode.
    • You will need at least around 8.87 GB + what Windows is currently using of free space available on the Windows drive.
    • The installation media (ex: build[/b] as your currently installed Windows 10. If it's not, then the repair install will fail.
    • The installation media (ex: language[/b] as your currently installed Windows 10. If it's not, then you will not keep anything.
    • If you have a USB.
    • If you have a USB.
    If Windows is encrypted by BitLocker, then you will need to either turn off BitLocker for the Windows drive before doing a repair install. Once installation has finished, you can turn on BitLocker again.

Before you get started doing a repair install of Windows 10, be sure that you also temporarily UEFI firmware settings. Once installation has finished, you can enable Secure Boot again if you like.
    • System Protection will be reset to the default of being turned off. It is recommended to turn on system protection after the repair install has finished to have restore points.
    • You will lose any custom fonts.
    • You will lose any customized system icons.
    • You may need to re-establish your Wi-Fi connection.
    • You will need to redo Windows updates subsequent to the build you have used for the repair install.
    • Windows.old will be created.
    • You will need to redo any language downloads including the display language if you changed that.
    Starting with Windows 10 ISO file.

This tutorial will show you how to do a repair install of Windows 10 by performing an in-place upgrade without losing anything.

You must be signed in as an administrator to be able to do a repair install of Windows 10.

Video by: Steve (essenbe)

Here's How:

1 administrator account in Windows 10.

2 If you have not already, you will need to disable or uninstall any 3rd party AV or security program you have installed first to prevent it from interfering with the upgrade to Windows 10. You can reinstall it after Windows 10 has finished installing.[/SIZE]

3 Do the step below depending on what you are using to do a repair install of Windows 10 with.
    • ISO file
    • USB installation media
    • step 6: To do a repair install of Windows 10 with Media Creation Tool.
    4. To Do a Repair Install of Windows 10 with an ISO file
    A) If you have not already, you will need to download a Windows 10 ISO file.

B) Mount the ISO file.

C) Run the setup.exe file to start Windows 10 Setup. (see screenshot below)

Windows Setup Command-Line Options

Windows 10 Setup Command Line Switches

Repair Install Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade [​IMG]

D) If prompted by UAC, click/tap on Yes. (see screenshot below)

E) Go to step 7 below.

5. To Do a Repair Install of Windows 10 with USB Installation Media
    Some users are having the repair install fail when using an USB in ISO instead.

A) If you have not already, you will need to create a Windows 10 installation USB flash drive.

B) Connect and open the USB flash drive, and run the setup.exe file to start Windows 10 Setup. (see screenshot below)

Windows Setup Command-Line Options

Windows 10 Setup Command Line Switches

C) If prompted by UAC, click/tap on Yes. (see screenshot below)

D) Go to step 7 below.

6. To do a repair install of Windows 10 with Media Creation Tool
    Do not use the Media Creation Tool to do a repair install with if you have an older build of Windows 10 installed and wish to retain it since the Media Creation Tool will not include support for older builds. You will be upgraded to the latest build provided by the Media Creation Tool.

A) Click/tap on the Download button below to go to Microsoft, and click/tap on the bottom Download tool now button at Microsoft's site.
    Download

B) Save the MediaCreationTool1903.exe file to your desktop, and run it.

D) If prompted by UAC, click/tap on Yes. (see screenshot below)

E) Click/tap on Accept for the applicable notices and license terms for the Media Creation Tool. (see screenshot below)

F) Select (dot) Upgrade this PC now, and click/tap on Next. (see screenshot below)

G) Windows 10 will now start downloading. Go to step 10 below.

7 Windows 10 Setup will now start preparing. (see screenshot below)

8 Click/tap on the Change how Windows Setup downloads updates link. (see screenshot below)

If you used step 6 with the Media Creation Tool, then you will see step 11 below next instead.

9 Select (dot) Not right now, and click/tap on Next. (see screenshot below)

10 Windows 10 Setup will now start getting things ready. (see screenshots below)

11 Click/tap on Accept for the license terms of Windows 10. (see screenshot below)

12 Windows 10 Setup will now check for and install any available updates, and make sure you're ready to install. (see screenshots below)

13 When ready, click/tap on Install to start the repair install of Windows 10. (see screenshots below)

If you only have Nothing available to select, then the installation media is not the same as what you currently have installed.

If you would like to change what you keep, then click/tap on the Change what to keep link, choose what to keep, click/tap on Next, and go to step 12 above.

If you don't have Keep personal files and apps selected, you will not keep everything.

14 Windows 10 Setup will now start the in-place upgrade installation to repair Windows. (see screenshots below)

This will take a while to finish.

15 You can now sign in to Windows 10. (see screenshots below)

16 When each user signs in for the first time, they will see the first sign-in animation before reaching their desktop.

17 Make sure that you have the correct time set.

18 If you like, you could use Disk Cleanup to delete the Windows upgrade log files, Previous Windows installation(s), and Temporary Windows installation files items to free up the large amount of space that they take on your hard drive. (see screenshots below)

This step will delete the C:\$Windows.~BT and C:\Windows.old folders.

If you delete the Windows.old folder, you will no longer be able to go back to a previous version of Windows.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

Night Hawk, Aug 14, 2015
  2. RIITadmin Win User

Repair Install of Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade

Hi

I am already running on windows 10 version 1511 OS build 10586.873 previously upgraded from Windows 7 and due to some issue I will need to reinstall windows 10 without losing my files and program and so I am currently following this article

Repair Install Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade

after I used the media creation tool to download the Windows 10 ISO I run into issue after clicking the setup from the ISO. After the "get important updates" screen, it proceed to "checking your PC" and run into an error "Windows 10 Setup- setup fail to
    validate the product key" Because this is a OEM version of Windows 10 I do not have any product key nor did the screen prompt me for any product key"

I run a few google search where most of the issue might look similar but occurred during a upgrade process from Windows 7 or 8.1. I have try a few method from some of the suggestion

- unjoin the computer from the domain into a work group and login as a local administrator

- created a ei.cfg file and with the following and copy it into the source folder of the ISO

[EditionID]

Professional

[Channel]

Retail

LV]

I really have no other ideas what else to do.

RIITadmin, Aug 14, 2015
  3. Repair Install of Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade

Its possible that ISO is possibly corrupt. I would download the ISO then try again, but what I would recommend you not do is 'Get recommended updates'.

How
    to Upgrade to Windows 10 Creators Update version 1703 using ISO File from Versions 1507, 1511 and 1607

What is the make and model of your computer?

Have you checked the manufacturers website to determine compatibility?

Check this List to Determine if Your Computer is Compatible with the Windows 10 Creators
    Update or Anniversary Update or Not

You should also follow Microsoft's advisory and upgrade only when offered through Windows Update:

Microsoft Slows Rollout of Windows 10 Creators Update based on Customer Feedback

If must upgrade, perform the following tasks:

12 Things You Should Do Before Installing Windows 10 Creators Update (Version 1703)

Andre Da Costa, Aug 14, 2015
  4. alexm1 Win User

Thanks for this, was a great help.

alexm1, Aug 17, 2015
  5. I know that one quite well here for sure! When finally getting that first upgrade on many things didn't seem to go well like getting the antivirus software on even the 2016 beta version which would have automatically included 10 support refused and crash landed. I said to myself well got to think back about how we used to fix the previous versions and Upgrade to Repair I went and that ran well until finally it came time to go for broke with the fresh full clean install that was going to come anyways! *Biggrin

Night Hawk, Aug 17, 2015
  6. Slugger Win User
    Will this repair registry entry permissions?

Slugger, Aug 18, 2015
  7. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Hello Slugger,

Yes, it should restore them back to default. *Smile

Brink, Aug 18, 2015
  8. Slugger Win User

I was having a problem with installing Visual Studio 2015 with registry entires with no permissions! I had to manually fix each entry until the setup finally installed. Now I having a similar problem with Visual Studio 2008.

Will this fix registry entries with no permissions?

Slugger, Aug 18, 2015
  9. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Not if that's the default setting.

Brink, Aug 18, 2015
  10. Slugger Win User
    Should I just bite the bullet and do a clean install? All these programs installed over the years.

Slugger, Aug 18, 2015
  11. Brink
    Brink New Member
    It's up to you, but a clean install would give you the best results.

Brink, Aug 18, 2015
  12. BenoitSvB Win User
    Will this work with a relocated Users folder?

BenoitSvB, Aug 19, 2015
  13. Brink
    Brink New Member

Hello BeonoitSvB,

I would recommend to move them back before doing a repair install. A repair install may break the link for them if you don't. *Sad

Brink, Aug 19, 2015
  14. What I found so far when running into problems with older programs like Acronis True Image Home 2010 is the need to right click on the main executable to select the "run as administrator" option seen as the second item in the right click menu options. If the program is compatible that will insure a working installation takes place. MS has a Compatibility Center for checking up on all types of programs you can look up when you select the version of Windows. Windows Compatibility Center

With that I found out why 10 and 7 on the remote case I have have to use two different methods to connect online through the modem here! For WiFi access 7 will run from a usb wifi adapter to the separate linksys router while 10 will detect the ethernet cable going direct to the cable modem/router combination. Perhaps now you can see why I have to keep a dual boot going on the portable mini tower in case I take it with me and have to run 7 since not even 8 drivers are found while 7 won't detect and coonect through the ethernet cable for some reason.

That's another mystery to solve there however. What the Upgrade install will do the second time around essentially is fill in the gaps where the initial upgrade left off at not seeing a complete install of 10! As I was explaining to Shawn that leaves a flaky shaky mix up of mishaps waiting to happen and I had to use the upgrade to repair type method to repair that first upgrade in order to see the regular softwares to even go on let alone run well.

Once 10 is activated the first time and if you are not able to replace a shaky mix up with a fresh clean install this is the fast remedy to get 10 running better. It will however require reinstalling most of the programs you saw brought along with the initial upgrade into 10 being replaced by a fresh registry and packing up the program folders into the Windows.old as those are no longer found. But the two options for running as admin and the compatibility center will be a large help once you have seen this type of repair install take place at finding out what will run on 10.

Night Hawk, Aug 19, 2015
  15. ScorpioST Win User
    I followed this but it's asking me for a Windows key?? That doesn't show up in the step by step? I got a key viewer software to show me key, entered it and it says not valid? I upgraded from Win7 and the only problem I have is that the windows store will not launch.

ScorpioST, Aug 20, 2015
Thema:

1. Repair Install Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade - Similar Threads - Repair Install place

2. Impossible Repair Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Impossible Repair Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade: I try to repair my windows 10 but following procedure Repair Install of Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade, after reboot appear this message: 0xC1+00202 - 0x30018 The installation failed in phase FIRST_BOOT with an error during the operation SYSPREP_SPECIALIZE Please how...
  3. Impossible Repair Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade

in Windows 10 Support
    Impossible Repair Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade: I try to repair my windows 10 but following procedure Repair Install of Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade, after reboot appear this message: 0xC1+00202 - 0x30018 The installation failed in phase FIRST_BOOT with an error during the operation SYSPREP_SPECIALIZE Please how...
  4. Repair install/in-place upgrade not proceeding normally

Repair install/in-place upgrade not proceeding normally: I am confused... After problems with the 2021-06 cumulative update for x64 machines, I had to uninstall the latest quality update. Now having different problems (no sound devices detected), I wanted to try an in-place/repair install. Using the Media Creation Tool, I...
  5. Repair Install (in place upgrade) question

Repair Install (in place upgrade) question: Ive got a new Dell laptop arriving later in the week. I normally clean install and blow away the partitions using a Media Creation Tool created flash drive which gets rid of bloatware as well. Im doing things differently this time though. It has a some useful software pre...
  6. "repair install" or "in place upgrade" is broken in 20H2

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    "repair install" or "in place upgrade" is broken in 20H2: You cannot to a "repair install" or "in place upgrade" and keep files and apps with 20H2. It works fine with 2004. The installation media will not allow you to keep your files and apps. All other options other than "Nothing" are greyed out. To be clear, you CAN upgrade from...
  7. Repair Install of Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade ..error

Repair Install of Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade ..error: I follow exactly these istructions Repair Install Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade and i select to not update drivers etc.. and also if i select to update drivers etc.. but after reboot i have the error on image Please can you suggest me? Thank Hispa P.S. Secure boot is...
  8. Effects of a repair install in-place upgrade

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Effects of a repair install in-place upgrade: Will a repair installor inplace upgrade remove any of my software? I have photoshop on my computer and have lost the cd, so Id rater not have it removed. Do you think this will happen?...
  9. Repair Install of Windows 10 with an In-Place Upgrade fails...

Repair Install of Windows 10 with an In-Place Upgrade fails...: Yesterday I attempted a Repair Install of Windows 10 with Media Creation Tool as per the TenForums Tutorial but for some reason it all went pear-shaped… I downloaded and ran the Media Creation Tool (1803) and get the following screens:- “Getting a few things ready”...
  10. Repair Install of Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade

Repair Install of Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade: Hi , I want to do a repair install of windows 10 ( new 1607) with an in-place upgrade using DVD media ( .iso 1607 , engl/us ,all the same ) because of corrupted files although windows operation so far is good . sfc /scannow , command prompt > DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. does in-place upgrade fix registry