Windows 10: Repair Install Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade

Discus and support Repair Install Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; Great news Alex. *Smile Brink, thanks for your efforts on this, it is appreciated! Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by Night Hawk, Aug 14, 2015.

1. alexm1 Win User

Repair Install Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade

Brink, thanks for your efforts on this, it is appreciated!

alexm1, Aug 26, 2015

2. See Shawn it pays to put in the effort since you end up getting flowers from all over! *Biggrin*Thumbs

(I think a good deal of us would probably get totally lost without those efforts for sure! Keep up the great work on guides!)

Night Hawk, Aug 26, 2015
  3. Brink
    Brink New Member
    I'm just happy that they can help. *Smile

Brink, Aug 26, 2015
  4. Repair Install Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade

Well it bailed out the initial upgrade here fast when correcting a ton of apparently incompleted entries I think mostly related to the registry where running software installers even for the updated versions of the same ran into headaches!. And from what I have been noticing and not too surprised at hearing is most of the problems seen are upgrading from 7 to 10 compared to the amount for 8 or 8.1 due to the large number of changes that had to be seen in the newer registries.

Being three versions of Windows newer we could always expect some type of issue would come up. But this is how MS is offering a free copy of 10 by seeing to the upgrade over the previous. I have to ponder if there isn't some type of registry tweak that could end up seeing a better upgrade from 7? Or one other "something" besides simply disabling your av and other system protections as a possible root cause to look at.

Putting 7 in an almost Safe Mode or a Selective limited startup where you have only the minimum processes running sounds more like a possible help in that area. When looking back now at fast the upgrades were put on and then ran into problems this is one area of considering how to make the first upgrade go better where the last resort at first sight would be the need to see a repair install or plan on a clean install right away which takes away the option of reverting back to the previous version.

Night Hawk, Aug 26, 2015
  5. Love these OS specific Tuts across forums, saves me so much time! Thanks!

DustSailor, Sep 3, 2015
  6. Brink
    Brink New Member
    You're most welcome Dusty. *Smile

Brink, Sep 3, 2015
  7. Here I have to explain things right as I am just learning them about 10 from not getting the chance earlier to work with the previous builds. The clean install was where I found the notation about unplugging any non OS drives which still applies to any type of upgrade install as far as things go with 10. But it was a guide just like this one only for 7 I went by when the initial upgrade ran into issues! So having guides like this around is almost a "must have" situation seen all too often!

Night Hawk, Sep 3, 2015
  8. Xyster Win User

Hi,

I upgraded my Windows 7 to Windows 10.
    If I follow this tutorial, and later wish to restore Windows 7 through restore feature Windows 10 offers 30 days from the day of the upgrade, will I be able to restore Windows 7?

Xyster, Sep 3, 2015
  9. Quick question, if I may. Since upgrading to 10 from 7, the Windows Backup has been a real pain for me. I've been getting a lot of error messages (all 0x800XXXX type messages). I looking at various articles on this site and others, I've tried some things such as setting the block level backup Engine to Auto and changing the login to my user account instead of the local account. I think I may have messed with this a bit too much. The computer seems to be running well enough, but I'm concerned I changed something I should not have.

So, of the 3 choices, which would be the best option to correct this, or do I even need to?

Thanks for any thoughts, and BTW, this is a great forum.

Gator5000e, Sep 3, 2015
  10. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Hello Xyster, and welcome to Ten Forums. *Smile

If you didn't delete the Windows.old folder from the upgrade of Windows 7 to Windows 10, then you should be able to if done within the 30 days of the upgrade.

I would recommend to use the free Macrium Reflect program to create a system image to be safe though.

Brink, Sep 3, 2015
  11. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Hello Gator, *Smile

It won't hurt anything to see if a repair install may help with the Windows Backup issues.

Brink, Sep 3, 2015
  12. Xyster Win User
    Hi Brink,

no the Windows.old folder is still present at this time.
    So doing Repair Install of Windows 10 will not delete or change that folder in a way that later rollback to Windows 7 would be impossible?

I'm thinking about doing Repair Install because Windows Live Mail after upgrade to Windows 10 from Windows 7 does no longer work (when I start it it just freezes and I have to kill it with Task Manager, although I see in background e-mails are retrieved by it from e-mail server). I tried reinstalling Windows Live Essentials, but it didn't help. Also tried to run it in Windows 7 compatibility mode mode and it also didn't help. Tried using sfc and dism utilities, but they reported everything is OK. So doing Repair Install of Windows 10 is my last chance I believe.
    If it doesn't work, I will have to rollback to Windows 7, to be able to open Windows Live Mail and access my e-mails.

Xyster, Sep 3, 2015
  13. Repair Install Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade

One thing I noticed here right off was no longer seeing the Windows Easy Transfer option previously seen with 7. Basically now you simply see the Back up and Restore options would be about the same as far as seeing your files restored following a clean install of Windows 10 even while that won't help for seeing a clean install of 7 or the previous version that had been on if unable to use the revert back option.

The DiskCleanup tool is the worst enemy for seeing that happen when it cleans off the Windows.old folder. The thing I can't figure out is why following a clean install after the initial upgrade saw the inplace repair take place I still see the "Backup and Restore (Windows 7) title in the Control Panel unless something from the upgrade installs got mixed with the subsequent clean install that took place? The drive wasn't wiped clean in between the installs there.

Night Hawk, Sep 3, 2015
  14. Brink
    Brink New Member
    A repair install will not help with an installed program though. Usually, you'll need to reinstall the program instead. Did you completely uninstall the program first, then reinstalled?

Brink, Sep 3, 2015
  15. Xyster Win User
    Yes, I uninstalled the program, restarted computer, and then again installed it, and it didn't help.
    I also tried renaming Windows Live Mail folder in AppData folder for the current user.
    New folder was created, but program was still frozen.
    Also tried to create new local Windows account, and starting Windows Live Mail under that account and it didn't help, same behaviour.

Xyster, Sep 3, 2015
Thema:

1. Repair Install Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade - Similar Threads - Repair Install place

2. Impossible Repair Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Impossible Repair Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade: I try to repair my windows 10 but following procedure Repair Install of Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade, after reboot appear this message: 0xC1+00202 - 0x30018 The installation failed in phase FIRST_BOOT with an error during the operation SYSPREP_SPECIALIZE Please how...
  3. Impossible Repair Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade

in Windows 10 Support
    Impossible Repair Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade: I try to repair my windows 10 but following procedure Repair Install of Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade, after reboot appear this message: 0xC1+00202 - 0x30018 The installation failed in phase FIRST_BOOT with an error during the operation SYSPREP_SPECIALIZE Please how...
  4. Repair install/in-place upgrade not proceeding normally

Repair install/in-place upgrade not proceeding normally: I am confused... After problems with the 2021-06 cumulative update for x64 machines, I had to uninstall the latest quality update. Now having different problems (no sound devices detected), I wanted to try an in-place/repair install. Using the Media Creation Tool, I...
  5. Repair Install (in place upgrade) question

Repair Install (in place upgrade) question: Ive got a new Dell laptop arriving later in the week. I normally clean install and blow away the partitions using a Media Creation Tool created flash drive which gets rid of bloatware as well. Im doing things differently this time though. It has a some useful software pre...
  6. "repair install" or "in place upgrade" is broken in 20H2

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    "repair install" or "in place upgrade" is broken in 20H2: You cannot to a "repair install" or "in place upgrade" and keep files and apps with 20H2. It works fine with 2004. The installation media will not allow you to keep your files and apps. All other options other than "Nothing" are greyed out. To be clear, you CAN upgrade from...
  7. Repair Install of Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade ..error

Repair Install of Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade ..error: I follow exactly these istructions Repair Install Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade and i select to not update drivers etc.. and also if i select to update drivers etc.. but after reboot i have the error on image Please can you suggest me? Thank Hispa P.S. Secure boot is...
  8. Effects of a repair install in-place upgrade

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Effects of a repair install in-place upgrade: Will a repair installor inplace upgrade remove any of my software? I have photoshop on my computer and have lost the cd, so Id rater not have it removed. Do you think this will happen?...
  9. Repair Install of Windows 10 with an In-Place Upgrade fails...

Repair Install of Windows 10 with an In-Place Upgrade fails...: Yesterday I attempted a Repair Install of Windows 10 with Media Creation Tool as per the TenForums Tutorial but for some reason it all went pear-shaped… I downloaded and ran the Media Creation Tool (1803) and get the following screens:- “Getting a few things ready”...
  10. Repair Install of Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade

Repair Install of Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade: Hi , I want to do a repair install of windows 10 ( new 1607) with an in-place upgrade using DVD media ( .iso 1607 , engl/us ,all the same ) because of corrupted files although windows operation so far is good . sfc /scannow , command prompt > DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image...