Windows 10: Repair via In-Place Upgrade: getting the right Version and Build ISO?

Discus and support Repair via In-Place Upgrade: getting the right Version and Build ISO? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Folks, I've decided to try a repair. It'll be an in-place repair, using this tutorial: Repair Install Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade - Windows... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by iamc3k, Jul 19, 2016.

1. iamc3k Win User

Repair via In-Place Upgrade: getting the right Version and Build ISO?

Folks,

I've decided to try a repair. It'll be an in-place repair, using this tutorial: Repair Install Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade - Windows 10 Forums

The first step is to ensure my current build/version matches up with the ISO/USB build/version I'll be using. There's even a link about how to check. I have "Version 1511 (OS Build 10586.494)".

So...it seems I have:

Version = 1511
    Build = 10586.494

Good enough.

Using the embedded tutorial link to download an ISO, I went to the linked MS Tech Bench site, selected "Windows 10" (not the N or the KN versions), "English", and 64 bit... I started the download.

The download shows "Win10_1511_2_English_x64.iso" as the file. How do I check to see if this ISO matches my Build???

Thanks,

Ken

:)

iamc3k, Jul 19, 2016

2. Toast Notification More click for action

my windows is last version , build and upgrade via in-place upgrade.

this is core issue in this version.

Javad Rajabzadeh, Jul 19, 2016
  3. After recent updates, the system keeps on telling to install the same updates

Version 1511 is a major update to windows 10 which you can do via an ISO:

use the ISO's to do an In-place upgrade.

Media creation Tool is now updated with Version 1511, OS Build 10586 of Windows 10.

Download link for Media Creation Tool:

Download Windows 10

Detailed steps on how to Download an ISO using Media creation Tool:

Download Windows 10 ISO File

Then do an InPlace upgrade using Method 1 from here:

https://www.windowsphoneinfo.com/threads/repair-install-windows-10-with-an-in-place-upgrade.7004/

The size of the update through Windows update and ISO are nearly the same.

if you want this via Windows update,then a Windows update reset might help

Sumit Dhiman2, Jul 19, 2016
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

Easiest way is to mount the ISO file and run setup.exe in the virtual DVD that appears. If it goes straight into the upgrade choices screen then you have the correct ISO. If it asks you for a product key at any time, then you probably don't have the correct ISO and cancel the install by closing that window.

The ISO files provided by Microsoft do not include the most current cumulative updates. The in-place repair install will roll you back to a previous 10586.xxx build. Windows Update will then pull the cumulative update to bring it back to 10586.494.

NavyLCDR, Jul 19, 2016
  5. iamc3k Win User
    NavyLCDR,

Thanks! (You've always been really helpful to me, and others.)

Ken

iamc3k, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Repair via In-Place Upgrade: getting the right Version and Build ISO? - Similar Threads - Repair via Place

2. In-Place Upgrade via ISO language change possible?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    In-Place Upgrade via ISO language change possible?: I want to perform an in-place upgrade using the there it says "You'll need to choose the same language when you install Windows. " Ther problem is I don't remember if it was "Spanish Mexico" or simply "Spanish". Does anything happen if you install the incorect language?...
  3. In-Place Upgrade via ISO language change possible?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    In-Place Upgrade via ISO language change possible?: I want to perform an in-place upgrade using the there it says "You'll need to choose the same language when you install Windows. " Ther problem is I don't remember if it was "Spanish Mexico" or simply "Spanish". Does anything happen if you install the incorect language?...
  4. Repair install/in-place upgrade not proceeding normally

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Repair install/in-place upgrade not proceeding normally: I am confused... After problems with the 2021-06 cumulative update for x64 machines, I had to uninstall the latest quality update. Now having different problems (no sound devices detected), I wanted to try an in-place/repair install. Using the Media Creation Tool, I...
  5. Windows 10 Error: 0x800f081f -- Resolved via in-place upgrade repair

Windows 10 Error: 0x800f081f -- Resolved via in-place upgrade repair: Hello, If possible, I would like some help with my Windows 10. I have been experiencing this issue since the 11/30/2020 update - "2020-11 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 20H2 for x64-based Systems KB4594440" I went onto a thread about this new update and saw...
  6. Repair Install (in place upgrade) question

Repair Install (in place upgrade) question: Ive got a new Dell laptop arriving later in the week. I normally clean install and blow away the partitions using a Media Creation Tool created flash drive which gets rid of bloatware as well. Im doing things differently this time though. It has a some useful software pre...
  7. Windows in place repair upgrade failure

Windows in place repair upgrade failure: This is a part two to my orginal post as the repair upgrade failed and i dont know what to do. It rolls back Original link here[IMG] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-in-place-repair-upgrade-failure/e4b9e6e8-df1a-455f-9160-d416d3cba31a
  8. Effects of a repair install in-place upgrade

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Effects of a repair install in-place upgrade: Will a repair installor inplace upgrade remove any of my software? I have photoshop on my computer and have lost the cd, so Id rater not have it removed. Do you think this will happen?...
  9. Failed to upgrade from 1709 with In Place/Repair Upgrade

Failed to upgrade from 1709 with In Place/Repair Upgrade: First things first, my winver is 1709 Build 16299.192 I have been stuck at updating for over 2 years, finally i was unable to upgrade my nvidia driver forces me to find a way through this. These 4 method doesnt seem to work: FIX: Windows 10 Update 1903 failed to install...
  10. Windows 10 ISO Build Version

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows 10 ISO Build Version: I purchased Windows 10 a few months ago and have had problems upgrading to the new builds 1511 and 1608 since then, installation always freezes at 93% and I haven't had any luck using Microsoft support. I'd like to have the latest build and thinking a fresh install might...