Windows 10: Reparse Points Symlinks Junctions not important in Windows 10

Discus and support Reparse Points Symlinks Junctions not important in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; In Windows 7, these NTFS properties were enforced 100%. In Windows 10, it is likely that between 20 and 60 of these symbolic links are not enforced.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by Fafhrd, Apr 7, 2017.

1. Fafhrd Win User

Reparse Points Symlinks Junctions not important in Windows 10

In Windows 7, these NTFS properties were enforced 100%.

In Windows 10, it is likely that between 20 and 60 of these symbolic links are not enforced.

Is it important in Windows 10 now?

Was it important then in Windows 7?

:)

Fafhrd, Apr 7, 2017

2. Windows 10 Read Only and Failed to Enumerate

What are the files?

Don;t get confused by the Read-Only checkbox in a folder's Properties dialog:

Reparse Points Symlinks Junctions not important in Windows 10 [​IMG]

"Failed to Enumerate" is normal when encountering reparse points (junctions/symlinks). To see which folders are actually reparse points, open a Command Prompt window and type:

dir /al /s

Good Luck,

Keith

Keith A. Miller, Apr 7, 2017
  3. How do I stop Windows 10 File Explorer from navigating to symlinks and folder shortcuts?

My posting applies to "directory" symlinks and "Network locations" as added with Windows Explorer / File Explorer, and
    not to "junction" symlinks as mentioned by Frederik.

For these, the behavior has changed as indicated. It is possible to press the little navigation chevrons without "jumping" to the destination path, but as soon as one clicks on the symlink name / shortcut name itself, Windows 10 File Explorer leaves that
    portion of the navigation tree. Attempts to navigate "up" will navigate to the parent folder on the share, NOT the parent folder of the symlink / shortcut.

As I understand it, "junction" symlinks are only available for local drives, and most of my "directory" symlinks and "Network locations" point to shared folders on servers.

Cornan The Iowan, Apr 7, 2017
Thema:

Reparse Points Symlinks Junctions not important in Windows 10

1. Reparse Points Symlinks Junctions not important in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Reparse Points Symlinks

2. Windows 10 [ Data Migrations ] - USMT Found Reparse Point but Reparse Points are not allowed

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows 10 [ Data Migrations ] - USMT Found Reparse Point but Reparse Points are not allowed: Large company, laptop upgrades done locally over the network via USMT. On average, every 2 weeks, a laptop running the data backup processes, looks as though its frozen/stopped without any visual indicators that somethings wrong, no activity on the external HD backup drive,...
  3. Windows 10 [ Data Migrations ] - USMT Found Reparse Point but Reparse Points are not allowed

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 [ Data Migrations ] - USMT Found Reparse Point but Reparse Points are not allowed: Large company, laptop upgrades done locally over the network via USMT. On average, every 2 weeks, a laptop running the data backup processes, looks as though its frozen/stopped without any visual indicators that somethings wrong, no activity on the external HD backup drive,...
  4. Windows 10 [ Data Migrations ] - USMT Found Reparse Point but Reparse Points are not allowed

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Windows 10 [ Data Migrations ] - USMT Found Reparse Point but Reparse Points are not allowed

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  6. Finding and Deleting a <JUNCTION> or <SYMLINK> in Windows 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Finding and Deleting a <JUNCTION> or <SYMLINK> in Windows 11: In trying to use OneDrive to back up folders on my D: drive I found a website that suggested I could do it by creating a JUNCTION thus: mklink /j "%UserProfile%\OneDrive\D_Desktop" "D:\Desktop"I did so for the D:\Desktop directory and for the D:\Documents directory. It didn't...
  7. Finding and Deleting a <JUNCTION> or <SYMLINK> in Windows 11

Finding and Deleting a <JUNCTION> or <SYMLINK> in Windows 11: In trying to use OneDrive to back up folders on my D: drive I found a website that suggested I could do it by creating a JUNCTION thus: mklink /j "%UserProfile%\OneDrive\D_Desktop" "D:\Desktop"I did so for the D:\Desktop directory and for the D:\Documents directory. It didn't...
  8. Reparse points aka Junctions

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Reparse points aka Junctions: File History backup fails with errors related to Reparse points.How can I delete all reparse points on my disc??? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/reparse-points-aka-junctions/7db35f2d-fd3d-421e-b587-9c5da8a03de9
  9. Reparse points aka Junctions

Reparse points aka Junctions: File History backup fails with errors related to Reparse points.How can I delete all reparse points on my disc??? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/reparse-points-aka-junctions/7db35f2d-fd3d-421e-b587-9c5da8a03de9
  10. Reparse points aka Junctions

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade

Users found this page by searching for:

1. reparse symbolic link windows 10