Windows 10: Repartioning when the drives are seperated by a recovery drive

Discus and support Repartioning when the drives are seperated by a recovery drive in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I need to shrink one partition, partition D, and extend partition C with the newly unallocated space. I can shrink D without any problems, however, for... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by macnar, Oct 28, 2016.

1. macnar Win User

Repartioning when the drives are seperated by a recovery drive

I need to shrink one partition, partition D, and extend partition C with the newly unallocated space. I can shrink D without any problems, however, for some reason the two partitions are seperated by a small recovery drive that i can not delete. Any advice about getting the two partitions next to each other or how to extend the drive otherwise?
    Repartioning when the drives are seperated by a recovery drive [​IMG]

:)

macnar, Oct 28, 2016

2. Windows 10 won't boot after windows update and USB won't resolve the issue

Experienced same issue today. Had the black screen of death, would not boot, I had not made a recovery disc for the new pc yet. I rebooted while the holding escape key to get into system repair. None of the options to reset and repair worried, so I had
    to go into the Command prompt to repair the damaged boot files, repartioned the drive, and reinstalled the OS. I didn't try to save files, as I back everything up to cloud and flash drives. Working perfect again now. All that for updates? Smh.

Jocelyn Foxx, Oct 28, 2016
  3. psbankar Win User
    What happens after a factory reset to windows 10 upgrade

I have recently purchased a laptop with windows 8.1 preinstalled and without official disk of OS. They told me to make a recovery pen drive in case of factory reset and i was not going to get official OS installed again. So if i upgrade to 10 and then
    decide to factory reset the drive how can i do it? Also do i need to make a seperate recovery pen drive for windows 10 or replace 8.1 recovery by 10?

psbankar, Oct 28, 2016
  4. spunk Win User

The Microsoft rule is that a drive or partition to the right of the C: drive, or whatever drive you want to extend, must be Unallocated Space to extend that drive.
    The recovery partition, to the right of the C: drive, is used to restore your computer to Factory Defaults if there is disaster.
    There are 3rd party utilities like Easeus Partition Master, or Minitool Partition Wizard that may allow you to do this, but it may make the Recovery Partition unusable.
    If you have Windows install media, and do not care about using the Recovery Partition, then you can right click the Recovery Partition in Disk Management and Delete Volume. Making it Unallocated Space, then you can Right click the C: drive and choose to Extend Volume into the Unallocated Space. Be sure to backup in case this goes wrong.
    The other alternative is to get another HDD that is larger,(ie) 2TB drive. And Clone the old HDD to the new, replace the old with the new and be back in business with a much larger drive. You then can keep the old drive as a backup, or you can format it and use it for storage.

spunk, Oct 28, 2016
Thema:

1. Repartioning when the drives are seperated by a recovery drive - Similar Threads - Repartioning drives are

2. Installing Windows 11 on seperate drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Installing Windows 11 on seperate drive: It has been a while since using a dual boot system. Is this still available with Windows10/11 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/installing-windows-11-on-seperate-drive/c88d59c8-7d07-45a8-9add-a6e0b27c0896
  3. Installing Windows 11 on seperate drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Installing Windows 11 on seperate drive: It has been a while since using a dual boot system. Is this still available with Windows10/11 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/installing-windows-11-on-seperate-drive/c88d59c8-7d07-45a8-9add-a6e0b27c0896
  4. Reinstalling windows on a seperate drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Reinstalling windows on a seperate drive: So currently I have an OEM prebuilt from HP which has a hard drive with windows home on itI was thinking of replacing that drive with an ssd and using it as the main boot drive and wiping the hard drive of windows after the transfer is done Just wondering how would I transfer...
  5. Installing OS on a seperate hard drive

Installing OS on a seperate hard drive: I am trying to install an OS to a new hard drive for a computer I built, if I purchase the windows 10 OS, can I install it on a hard drive through a SATA reader other than the C: drive or is it going to try to default to my computers C: drive? Also, is the license going to...
  6. Recovery Drive

Recovery Drive: In my new Windows 10 computer, I was creating a recovery drive on a USB. It took a while so I wasn't watching the whole time, but I looked over and the computer was restarting. I'm not sure it finished creating the RD, or if it's supposed to restart afterwards. Have I...
  7. REPARTION HARD DRIVE

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    REPARTION HARD DRIVE: My c drive has only 1% space available, but the d has plenty of space. How can I repartition to free up space on the c drive. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/repartion-hard-drive/1a0a0e5d-f454-4de7-8040-de417fe6a6a7"
  8. help with repartioning "new" hard drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    help with repartioning "new" hard drive: I inherited a 2T Seagate Skyyhawk hard drive which he removed from his surveillance system. I installed this in my old windows 10 computer , the HDD is recognized. Since this is an old computer , all the disks are MBR , however this new disk is GPT I have some questions: 1)...
  9. help with repartioning "new" hard drive

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    help with repartioning "new" hard drive: I inherited a 2T Seagate Skyyhawk hard drive which he removed from his surveillance system. I installed this in my old windows 10 computer , the HDD is recognized. Since this is an old computer , all the disks are MBR , however this new disk is GPT I have some questions: 1)...
  10. Dual booting on seperate hard drives?

Dual booting on seperate hard drives?: Not sure where this was supposed to go sorry in advance, I want to dual boot windows 7 and windows 10 on 2 seperate hard drives is it possible? 16808