Windows 10: Repeated update failure from 1511 to creators

Discus and support Repeated update failure from 1511 to creators in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Several times I have downloaded and installed CU. The installation goes well and after a little while I get the welcome screen and privacy settings,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by martytwo, Jun 3, 2017.

1. martytwo Win User

Repeated update failure from 1511 to creators

Several times I have downloaded and installed CU. The installation goes well and after a little while I get the welcome screen and privacy settings, then CU is running perfectly, until I reboot. This is where the problem is, every time the usual start up screens appear then a message appears 'restoring your previous version of windows'.
    I've tried uninstalling Avast anti virus, Advanced System Care and Classic shell as recommended by some, to no avail on reboot my system just rolls back. I have successfully updated 14 other computers of various specs.

:)

martytwo, Jun 3, 2017

2. Repeated failure to update: Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1511 for x64-based Systems (KB3140768)

Hi,

I am getting repeated failure when the system is trying to update this : Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1511 for x64-based Systems (KB3140768).

Please help.

KirtiDhoot, Jun 3, 2017
  3. Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1511 (KB3176493) Failed to install

My computer takes much time to update and then uninstall an update everytime I switch on the computer.

When I checked the update history, I find the following statement repeated many times.

"Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1511(KB3176493)

Failed to install on 9/2/2016"

This failure message has started from 8/13/2016".

Can someone help me to solve this issue, so that time is not wasted in updating and uninstalling.

Godfrey Rajkumar, Jun 3, 2017
  4. dalchina New Member

Hi, just wondering how it is you still have 1511? Is that indicative of some failure to update- some corruption perhaps? Or was Windows update deliberately disabled?

What is your actual build number?
    (Windows key + X, winver)
    - and the last update received + date
    (see Update History)

Try these basic steps:
    1. Please check your disk. Download and install Hard Disk Sentinel (trial) and post a screenshot of its GUI
    to post a screenshot please use the Insert Image icon to the left of the video icon above your post

2. Check your file system
    From an admin command prompt
    [Windows key + X, click command prompt (admin)]
    chkdsk C: /F
    Your PC will need to restart.
    Post back the result, which you can get after a restart as follows:
    How do I see the results of a CHKDSK that ran on boot? - Ask Leo!
    Make sure the result is clear or fixed- else do not proceed.

3. From an admin prompt run
    SFC /SCANNOW
    and post the result

Then please post a screenshot of Disk Management
    (Windows key + X, click Disk Management)

dalchina, Jun 3, 2017
  5. simrick Win User
    Agree with Dalchina.
    Remove Avast, and any other AV/malware, system tweaking software.
    Hard Disk Sentinel (trial), or Crystal Disk Info (free), chkdsk, sfc /scannow
    I would also check for chip and BIOS updates.

simrick, Jun 3, 2017
  6. martytwo Win User
    Avast and other 'system tweaking utilities' were removed to no avail the same issue arose

martytwo, Jun 4, 2017
  7. simrick Win User
    And what are the results of these?

simrick, Jun 4, 2017
  8. martytwo Win User

martytwo, Jun 4, 2017
  9. dalchina New Member
    So your disks are ok- good.

chkdsk
    Windows has made corrections to the file system.
    No further action is required.

CBS.LOG
    Verify and Repair Transaction completed. All files and registry keys listed in this transaction have been successfully repaired

Now your Disk Management (which I've captured from your One Drive post and, using the Insert Image icon to the left of the video icon above a post here show here

Repeated update failure from 1511 to creators [​IMG]

Suggests to me you have probably cloned or copied your boot configuration from one drive to another. Is that correct?

You have a scatter of Windows Recovery partitions and two EFI partitions - maybe you have more than one 16Mb System partition.

This is most likely why your system can't upgrade. You need to clean this up.

Delete all Windows partitions on your 'data' disk. To do that you will need a 3rd party partition manager to see if there is also a 16Mb System partition on it.

Noted F: & K: are listed but not shown on the image

Attachments: click 'Go Advanced' below your post to manage them.
    Use the paperclip icon to add.

dalchina, Jun 4, 2017
  10. martytwo Win User
    I followed dalchina's advice and deleted the surplus partitions on Drive 1. Then ran the update tool again, I now have Windows Version 1703 15063.332. I didn't uninstall or disable Avast or ASC. Thanks to your brilliant advice Windows has finally updated to Creators version.

martytwo, Jun 4, 2017
  11. dalchina New Member
    *Thumbs

Now let's hope it works for you...

Now I normally recommend creating a disk image (e.g. Macrium Reflect (free) + external storage for image sets) before upgrading as a defensive measure. Looks like I forgot.

So before anything goes disastrously wrong, if you don't already, please start using disk imaging routinely to protect your PC
    - if the disk fails
    - it becomes unbootable
    - some uncorrectable error including ransomware

dalchina, Jun 4, 2017
  12. martytwo Win User
    I do have Imaging software and emergency USB boot media for recovery. Once again many thanks for your helpful advice *Smile

martytwo, Jun 4, 2017
  13. zbook New Member

Chkdsk displayed: correcting errors in the Volume Bitmap.

These were some of the findings in the logs:

Code: 2017-06-04 18:46:57, Info CSI 00004be9 [SR] Cannot repair member file [l:10]"opencl.dll" of microsoft-windows-RemoteFX-clientVM-RemoteFXWDDMDriver-WOW64-C, version 10.0.10586.0, arch Host= amd64 Guest= x86, nonSxS, pkt {l:8 b:31bf3856ad364e35} in the store, hash mismatch[/quote] Code: 2017-06-04 18:46:59, Info CSI 00004bf2 [SR] Cannot repair member file [l:10]"opencl.dll" of microsoft-windows-RemoteFX-clientVM-RemoteFXWDDMDriver-WOW64-C, version 10.0.10586.0, arch Host= amd64 Guest= x86, nonSxS, pkt {l:8 b:31bf3856ad364e35} in the store, hash mismatch[/quote] Code: 2017-05-28 17:34:28, Info CBS Failed to internally open package. [HRESULT = 0x800f0805 - CBS_E_INVALID_PACKAGE][/quote] Code: 2017-05-28 17:34:28, Info CBS Failed to OpenPackage using worker session [HRESULT = 0x800f0805][/quote] Code: 2017-05-30 18:21:07, Info CBS Failed to flush offline registry: {bf1a281b-ad7b-4476-ac95-f47682990ce7}GLOBALROOT/Device/HarddiskVolumeShadowCopy2/WINDOWS/System32/config/DRIVERS. [HRESULT = 0x800703f8 - ERROR_REGISTRY_IO_FAILED][/quote] Code: 2017-06-04 18:46:59, Info CSI 00004bf6 [SR] Could not reproject corrupted file [l:23 ml:24]"\??\C:\WINDOWS\SysWOW64"\[l:10]"opencl.dll"; source file in store is also corrupted[/quote]
    Open administrative command prompt and copy and paste these commands:

1) dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth
    locate the DISM log and post a share link into the forum with onedrive

2) C:\$Windows.~BT\Sources\Panther

The Panther folder may be hidden.
    Locate these files and post share links into the forum with onedrive:
    setuperr.log
    setupact.log

Also see if you can find:

BlueBox.log
    $Windows.~bt\Sources\Rollback\setupmem.dmp
    $Windows.~bt\Sources\Rollback*.evtx
    $Windows.~bt\Sources\Rollback\setupapi\setupapi.dev.log
    Setupmem.dmpsetupapi.dev.log

zbook, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Repeated update failure from 1511 to creators - Similar Threads - Repeated update failure

2. PC Repeated failure to update

in Windows 10 Gaming
    PC Repeated failure to update: The HP laptop of a relative has failed to update its Windows to ver. 20H since May. A main concern for me is how long it takes to update as it is a 2017 pc yet could take hours to undergo the process; from eight am to nine pm. All this to just restart and show that it has to...
  3. PC Repeated failure to update

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    PC Repeated failure to update: The HP laptop of a relative has failed to update its Windows to ver. 20H since May. A main concern for me is how long it takes to update as it is a 2017 pc yet could take hours to undergo the process; from eight am to nine pm. All this to just restart and show that it has to...
  4. PC Repeated failure to update

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Cannot update from 1511

Cannot update from 1511: TLDR: Currently on windows 10 v1511 I cannot update to new version of windows. I recenlty got my hard disk updated to SSD and they didn't clone my windows partition. The manufactured resetted windows to the version which was shipped when I orignally bought the laptop. My...
  6. Repeated failure

Repeated failure: Repeated failure to update to install update for Windows 10 Version 1607 for x64-based Systems KB4049411 and KB4033631 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/repeated-failure/0276cd37-f4a8-4a2f-8d4a-6ff13c083da2
  7. 1903 Repeated Update Failures

1903 Repeated Update Failures: I cannot successfully update my Windows 10 installation to version 1903. The system attempts to install, fails at around 24% and rolls back changes with the error code 0x8007042b. I have attempted a number of solutions (DISM, SFC, Uninstalling 3rd party AV etc). I...
  8. Upgrading from 1511 Failing Repeatedly

Upgrading from 1511 Failing Repeatedly: I've got a PC stuck on 1511 and repeatedly failing to upgrade. I have other, part-for-part identical PCs on 1803 so I don't think there's any hardware compatibility issue. At this point I'm trying to update to 1803 using the Upgrade Assistant. This is the error that I'm...
  9. Creators Update Failure

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Creators Update Failure: Having been notified of the 1703 update, I set it running, eventually getting the message: "We can't install some updates because other updates are in progress." I hit the retry button with the same result. I restarted the laptop and tried again, with the same...
  10. Creators Update brings Audit failures?

in Windows 10 Support
    Creators Update brings Audit failures?: Okay so I have noticed that ever since I installed the Creators Update on Tuesday I have gotten Event ID 6281 which say the following. Code Integrity determined that the page hashes of an image file are not valid. The file could be improperly signed without page hashes or...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. [l:27]MSFT_MpComputerStatus.cdxml of Windows-Defender-Management-Powershell version 10.0.18362.1 arch amd64 nonSxS pkt {l:8 b:31bf3856ad364e35} in the store hash mismatch