Windows 10: Replace a 1TB HDD with a 250 GB SSD

Discus and support Replace a 1TB HDD with a 250 GB SSD in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; HP p6716f Win10 HP (x64) desktop 1 TB hard drive (920 GB free) needs to be replaced. --- It appears to me there is only 80GB in use. Is that correct?... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by MeAndMyComputer, May 20, 2017.

1. Replace a 1TB HDD with a 250 GB SSD

HP p6716f Win10 HP (x64) desktop 1 TB hard drive (920 GB free) needs to be replaced.
    --- It appears to me there is only 80GB in use. Is that correct?
    I’d like to replace it with an SSD: I suspect 250 GB would be more than ample size.
    I've read that it isn't possible to clone a HDD to a smaller size HDD.
    however Is it possible to clone that 1 TB HDD to a 250GB SSD since there's only 80 GB in use?

:)

MeAndMyComputer, May 20, 2017

2. How can I boot from my original drive after installing windows on a second drive?

Yes, this is a laptop, and I was trying to upgrade from the 1tb HDD to a 250 GB SSD drive. I can actually keep both, but I do not use enough data to have the HDD running constantly.

I fixed all my issues by making a recovery drive using Dell's recovery software, and then disconnecting the HDD, and installing Windows 10 on the SSD. I then Reconnected the HDD.

Now the SSD is the C: drive, and the HDD is the D: drive.

The problems were that I installed Windows 10 on the SSD without disconnecting the HDD, which caused it to Dual Boot, or boot using both hard drives. I was also using a generic version of Windows 10 at the start.

Luis Garcia Osorio, May 20, 2017
  3. Solid state drive needs optimitaztion

I dont know if i installed windows 10 on the ssd. My system specs are intel core i 7 devils canyon, gtx 970, and gskill 8 gbs of ram 1tb segate hdd, and 250 gb ssd samsung. no error messages are showing up, i just can install anything on the ssd. whats
    weird is that i can set the ssd as my boot drive.

Replace a 1TB HDD with a 250 GB SSD [​IMG]

IsaacZagart, May 20, 2017
  4. Samuria Win User

Replace a 1TB HDD with a 250 GB SSD

Samuria, May 20, 2017
  5. LEE
    Lee Win User
    If possible just add the SSD dive separately then set it up as the OS drive. . .Good luck.

6. NavyLCDR New Member
    Yes.

NavyLCDR, May 20, 2017
  7. NavyLCDR New Member
    I just replaced a 120GB SSD in my desktop with a 240GB SSD. Then I replaced a 500GB HDD in another desktop with my old 120GGB SSD. I used the Macrium Reflect Clone Disk function to go directly from drive to drive without problem. Click on the source drive, then clone this drive, then the empty target drive.

Drag and drop partitions. Going from 120GB to 240GB, it did not give me the option to resize. I am sure I could have found it if I looked for it, but the OS partition was at the end anyway, so I just cloned without resizing. Then expanded the partition to fill the empty space after it cloned.

Did the same procedure to go from 500GB HDD to 120GB SSD, when I drag and dropped the OS partition, Reflect automatically shrank it to fill the small space.

No issue at all with either operation. There is no need to do an image through a third storage location, and there is no need to do any partition resizing before the cloning. Modern programs that do cloning do it at the file system level, not the bit by bit "forensic" level, and will also handle the resizing during the process. These modern programs have bit by bit "forensic" cloning as an option rather than the default.

NavyLCDR, May 20, 2017
  8. Replace a 1TB HDD with a 250 GB SSD

"Modern programs that do cloning do it at the file system level, not the bit by bit "forensic" level, and will also handle the resizing during the process. These modern programs have bit by bit "forensic" cloning as an option rather than the default."
    Thank you NavyLCDR.

MeAndMyComputer, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Replace a 1TB HDD with a 250 GB SSD

1. Replace a 1TB HDD with a 250 GB SSD - Similar Threads - Replace 1TB HDD

2. Replacing HDD with SSD

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Replacing HDD with SSD: I'm planning on replacing my original HDD with an SSD using a clean install. Can I ask Microsoft for a copy of the original disk image of my system? I have a Pavilion g4-2013tx that came originally with a Windows 7. TIA....
  3. Replacing HDD with SSD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Replacing HDD with SSD: I'm planning on replacing my original HDD with an SSD using a clean install. Can I ask Microsoft for a copy of the original disk image of my system? I have a Pavilion g4-2013tx that came originally with a Windows 7. TIA....
  4. HDD replacement with SSD

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    HDD replacement with SSD: I have a Lenovo Ideapad 320 with pre-installed Windows 10 Home Single Language. I want to replace my current HDD with a SSD. I do not have any license/activation key for the operating system. How do I proceed?...
  5. Replacing HDD with an SSD

Replacing HDD with an SSD: I plan to replace my HDD with an SSD because I want my laptop to run faster and it failed a diagnostics test. I don't know why it failed but, I don't want to corrupt my new SSD. What happens if I don't clone the HDD to the SSD? Will I need to buy a windows 10 product key?...
  6. Replacing HDD with SSD

Replacing HDD with SSD: I have an HP Pavilion Notebook, and attempted to replace the 1TB HDD with a new 500 GB SSD not a problem as I was fresh installing not cloning and will not even use 500 GB. I initialised the Crucial MX500 SSD in Windows 10, with the same partition type as HDD GPT and a new...
  7. Cannot update windows on PC with 32 GB SSD and 1TB HDD

Cannot update windows on PC with 32 GB SSD and 1TB HDD: I cannot update windows on my PC with a 32GB boot SSD and a 1TB storage drive. I have been stuck without updates for a week since i updated my laptop. Can anyone help me with a way to update using the 1TB HDD for update storage? Thanks in advance for any advice....
  8. Replacing HDD with a SSD

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Replacing HDD with a SSD: Hi, I am planning to update my Dell inspiron 15 5570 with a SSD According to the laptop's spec sheet it supports M.2 NVMe SSD up to 512 GB Below is the one I think should be fine for the task: Amazon link What are the things I should take into consideration while...
  9. samsung ssd evo 860 250 gb

samsung ssd evo 860 250 gb: I am receiving this for Christmas, I have watched several youtube videos, I will be downloading the migration tool today, my computer was built by small computer store 6 years ago, it runs without problems, I will be cloning the ssd from the mechanical drive, all stats are...
  10. questions re swapping 1TB HDD with a 1TB SSD

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    questions re swapping 1TB HDD with a 1TB SSD: I have a fairly new Dell 8900 and want to swap its 1TB HDD with a new Crucial 1TB SSD I plan to clone the existing HDD using Macrium7 to the new SSD, then remove the HDD and install the new SSD in its place. Would this work? Would the currently existing SATA cable work with...