Windows 10: Replace delete action

Discus and support Replace delete action in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Greetings, is there any way to replace the default action performed when i press the del key (or rightclick > delete) within Explorer process? (maybe... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by Barnack, Mar 29, 2018.

1. Barnack Win User

Replace delete action

Greetings,
    is there any way to replace the default action performed when i press the del key (or rightclick > delete) within Explorer process? (maybe via registry edit?)

Like instead of moving to recycle bin i whish to call an executable with that particular file as argument

Action to be performed:
    C:\stuff\WipeFile.exe "%cd%\[filename]"

:)

Barnack, Mar 29, 2018
  2. #DELETE Win User

Windows 10 Calendar | Remove "Microsoft Account" default calendar

Is there more information about this? I'm having the same issue, and it's driving me nuts(OCD alert)!

Windows 10 Pro x64 Version 1607 (OS Build 14393.693)

Mail and Calendar 17.7812.42257.0

Microsoft People 10.1.3410.0

Store 11610.1001.25.0

Login to Windows using a 'Local Account', not a 'Microsoft Account'.
    Replace delete action [​IMG]

Two accounts from an unrelated provider. One for e-mail using IMAP+SMPT, another for calendar/contacts using CalDav+CardDav (iCloud). I censored the second account name due to bad languageReplace delete action :).

And yet, when opening the Calendar. There is an entry for 'Microsoft Account Calendar', wich is unable to be managed.

Things I've tried to fix this:

- Removed and added accounts (Using both 'Calendar-->Manage Accounts' and 'Settings-->Accounts')

- Removed and installed Mail/Calendar/People (Using PowerShell and Store)

- Run Microsoft Troubleshooter for Windows Store

- Run SFC /scannow

- Run DISM /RestoreHealth

- Switched to Microsoft Account, and back to local

- A combination and multiplication of all the above!

So far no fix is noticeable and the problem persist. Where does that 'Microsoft Account' entry comes from? And more important, how to remove it?!

I would really appriciate if Microsoft gave some attention to this issue, and help us solve this.

With kind regards,

#DELETE, Mar 29, 2018
  3. #DELETE Win User
    Windows 10 Calendar | Remove "Microsoft Account" default calendar

Is there more information available to finally solve this issue? An response from Microsoft would be nice.

With kind regards,

#DELETE, Mar 29, 2018
  4. Samuria Win User

Replace delete action

Samuria, Mar 29, 2018
  5. Berton Win User
    Historically, since Win95 one has been able to hold down the Shift key while pressing/clicking Del/Delete to bypass the Recycle Bin but that removes the chance to recover a file unless using third-party software for the purpose.

Berton, Mar 29, 2018
  6. Bree New Member
    The OP doesn't just want to bypass the recycle bin, they want to run an executable that (judging by its name) would secure-wipe the selected file. I would suggest adding it as a custom action on the right-click 'Send to' menu.

Just create a shortcut to the WipeFile.exe in %AppData%\Microsoft\Windows\SendTo

This will run WipeFile.exe and pass the full path to the selected file as an argument to WipeFile.exe.

What exactly is your %cd% bit supposed to do?

7. Barnack Win User
    Well since i already made a batch with a custom del command i just copy pasted without noticing, it was to get the full path of the file because the program i'm using crashes if the argument doesn't have absolute path.

Barnack, Mar 29, 2018
  8. Barnack Win User

Replace delete action

Wiping a file isn't just deletion. A wiped file ideally cannot be restored.

Barnack, Mar 29, 2018
  9. Bree New Member
    Well, then it should have no problem if you use the 'Send to' menu as I suggested. Windows will provide the full path and filename as an argument to your program.

10. Barnack Win User
    That's convinient, didn't know; thanks!

Barnack, Mar 29, 2018
  11. Bree New Member
    Yes, you can test that for yourself. Just copy and paste these commands into a ShowMe.bat file on your Desktop. Then move it into %AppData%\Microsoft\Windows\SendTo
    (you don't have permission to create or edit files there, you can only create new shortcuts).

@ECHO OFF
    ECHO The file is: %1
    PAUSE

12. Barnack Win User
    Perfect, it actually worked as intended. Next step: coding my own file wiper to work as i want it to, but that's a matter for another forum xD
    Thanks Bree!

Barnack, Apr 3, 2018
  13. Bree New Member

Replace delete action

*Thumbs
    You're welcome, glad to have helped.

Thema:

Replace delete action

1. Replace delete action - Similar Threads - Replace delete action

2. Can I replace a deleted file in the WindowsApps folder?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can I replace a deleted file in the WindowsApps folder?: I've looked online and haven't found a relatively straight-forward answer on this. I recently upgraded the CPU and motherboard on my desktop and after migrating my drives, some of my Windows apps were missing icons in the search bar. I managed to fix this, however the...
  3. USB files, deleted and replaced with random files

in Windows 10 Gaming
    USB files, deleted and replaced with random files: I just wanted to access my USB stick for some files and I just found theseI have tried deleting them , but no success. Trying to make a folder with the same name creates the same files but with different charactersHow can I get rid of them?...
  4. USB files, deleted and replaced with random files

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    USB files, deleted and replaced with random files: I just wanted to access my USB stick for some files and I just found theseI have tried deleting them , but no success. Trying to make a folder with the same name creates the same files but with different charactersHow can I get rid of them?...
  5. USB files, deleted and replaced with random files

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  6. restore deleted/replaced file

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    restore deleted/replaced file: Hello.. Today i went to cut and copy /paste a file that had the same name as another. Instead of choosing to rename and preserve both files [ chose to replace the homonymous one in a hurry. Is there a way to restore it?Is a picture...
  7. Set Quick Actions for Delete

in Windows 10 Customization
    Set Quick Actions for Delete: When I set the Quick Action options 1 and 2 to delete, nothing happens. I want to be able to hover in an email preview, see the delete garbage can and delete there versus having to move my mouse up to the top of the screen to delete. What am I missing? I can set the...
  8. Brightness slider replacing brightness quick action button from 1903

in Windows 10 Support
    Brightness slider replacing brightness quick action button from 1903: Hi all Does anyone else feel like they've lost some functionality here? For clarity, I'm talking about option 3 in this very useful guide. I understand that the new slider gives more control, but the previous method was very quick to change in increments of 25%, and I tend...
  9. deleting a saved password or replacing it

in Windows 10 Customization
    deleting a saved password or replacing it: how do I change a saved password or replace it in windows 10 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/deleting-a-saved-password-or-replacing-it/3ea5f68d-9bea-4b66-860e-3464e3657d99
  10. setting for default action when replacing file

in Windows 10 Support
    setting for default action when replacing file: Is there a windows 10 setting that changes the default action when a file by the same name replaces it? Currently my PC appends (1) or (2) etc which causes me to have to do a lot of extra steps. 100538