Windows 10: Replace the previous User account with a different one

Discus and support Replace the previous User account with a different one in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; My daughter bought a Windows 8 Acer Laptop two or three years ago and did the prompted Windows 10 upgrade. She recently bought a new computer and gave... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by brucemc777, Mar 24, 2017.

1. Replace the previous User account with a different one

My daughter bought a Windows 8 Acer Laptop two or three years ago and did the prompted Windows 10 upgrade. She recently bought a new computer and gave me her old one. I can log in to her account which is tied to her Microsoft account, but I would much rather establish myself as the sole User with my Microsoft credentials (whatever they call them now, they were Passport when I established my account).

Frustrations are: It appears that all one can do in trying to create a new account is either "join a family" of the original person's account, or establish a local account. My tower logs in with my MS credentials so I think that is the same thing I would want to do on this laptop.

If I am correct, can anyone explain what steps I need to take to create the new account? I would also like to eliminate my daughter's login but keep her files in case she ever needs anything on that computer.

Thank-you!

:)

brucemc777, Mar 24, 2017

2. Replace a Microsoft User Account with another account

While installing the Windows 10 Upgrade, I stupidly created a Microsoft Account: I forgot I already had one. I need to delete the new account and use the old one.

At this time I have to login with the new account...not what I want

Change/Remove Microsoft Account- Original Title

RonCarr-1938, Mar 24, 2017
  3. Replace a Microsoft User Account with another account

Hi Ron,

Thank you for posing in Community.

We understand your concern and we will provide the assistance required to help you resolve the issue.

As per the information that you have provided, I would suggest that you perform the following steps:

Step 1:

1. Create a new account using the Microsoft account that you desire.

2. Once done navigate to c: drive>users> click on the current user profile.

3. Manually copy/paste the contents that you wish to transfer from the current account to the newly created Ms account.

4. Once you have made ascertain that you have copy all the data, proceed to the next step.

Step 2:

1. Open Settings page, and select Accounts.

2. Click on Family and other Users.

3. Locate and click on the account you wish to delete and click on Remove.

4. Follow on screen instructions

Hope this helps

Vanessa Sohtun, Mar 24, 2017
  4. bro67 Win User

Replace the previous User account with a different one

Just create a new user Local account and keep her ID on there in case ahe may have stuff saved on it. Otherwise just download the Windows 10 ISO from Microsoft.com and then do a Clean install.

bro67, Mar 24, 2017
  5. Bree New Member
    @brucemc777, there are tutorials for all the steps you need.

First, create yourself a local user account.
    Important: make it an administrator (a new account is always a standard user at first).
    Add User Account in Windows 10
    Change Account Type in Windows 10

Now switch you daughter's account to a local account.
    Switch to Local Account in Windows 10

You can delete her account now, if you wish. To have the option to keep her files, you must do this from the Control Panel.
    Delete User Account in Windows 10

Then you can switch your local account to a Microsoft account.
    Switch to Microsoft Account in Windows 10

6. mrgeek Win User
    "It appears that all one can do in trying to create a new account is either "join a family" of the original person's account, or establish a local account. My tower logs in with my MS credentials so I think that is the same thing I would want to do on this laptop."

Much less complicated than you're making it. While signed in on her log-in, just establish a new Local Account with the User name, that you want to use, w/Admin privileges, NOT the Family option. Do NOT say that you have an MS acct yet. Log out, you will now have 2 users in lower L corner. Select yours and THEN go to Action Center/Settings/Accounts and follow prompts when you click "Sign in with MS account instead'. You will have to verify the account by entering a code that can be texted to your phone or sent to your backup email acct on your MS email acct.

If, at this point, she wants her files, I would just simply copy them to an ext backup drive and then delete her account in Control Panel/User Accounts/'Manage another account'. If you check 'keep user's files' that will place them in a desktop folder for copying later (why bother) or for access under your sign-in. Or, just leave her on as a 2nd user, up to you guys. Now the Acer and your tower will sync OneDrive files and settings between the 2 machines too. Good Luck

mrgeek, Mar 24, 2017
  7. Thank-you for setting me on the right path!

After getting part way through it (and I well admit I could have made a mistake or mistakenly skipped something at any point), I ran into "User Profile Service failed the sign-on, User Profile cannot be loaded."... and after finding a solution (I think) to that, I am running into "Another user on this device uses this Microsoft Account, you can't add it here", which I am again working on solutions to.

W10 really isn't yet ready for commercial release, is it?...

brucemc777, Mar 24, 2017
  8. Bree New Member

I'd start by switching every user account to a local account. That should let you make your account a Microsoft one.

9. bro67 Win User
    It is for sale for those who wish to waste there money, but there is no need since you just need to download the ISO from microsoft.com as i had stated. Also you just need to create a new local user, leave her account alone until she knows that she has all files off of it or copy that folder over to a USB pocket drive that you can get for under $50 these days. This is not something that has to be overly complicated like some have made it, since it is really just a two step process.

bro67, Mar 25, 2017
  10. Well, that was fun. After hacking my way through the above, I found that the Start Menu did not operate in my account, though it still would in my daughter's, so I did the Windows Refresh thing as I didn't need to retain any programs that she had loaded, then just ran into a problem with 1607 freezing at 5% which I found solution for (one intended for folks part of the Insider program, of which I am one, but the problem was not on a computer running under the Insider Preview program, and it appears I finally have gotten it straightened out!

Thank-you everyone, for coming to my aid; I really do appreciate it.

brucemc777, Mar 25, 2017
  11. mrgeek Win User
    Thanks for marking topic 'Solved' so Others with the same issue can more easily find.

mrgeek, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Replace the previous User account with a different one - Similar Threads - Replace previous User

2. How Does One Install WSL Distro for a Different User Account?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How Does One Install WSL Distro for a Different User Account?: I have a Windows 11 PC with WSL set up for my user account. This PC was shipped to different location where I can DameWare in with my Windows challenge/response, then login with local credentials. This PC does not have internet access. As this local user, WSL presents error...
  3. How Does One Install WSL Distro for a Different User Account?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How Does One Install WSL Distro for a Different User Account?: I have a Windows 11 PC with WSL set up for my user account. This PC was shipped to different location where I can DameWare in with my Windows challenge/response, then login with local credentials. This PC does not have internet access. As this local user, WSL presents error...
  4. Different user accounts with OneDrive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Different user accounts with OneDrive: I am using Windows 10 with Onedrive and I am totally confused about my user / computer accounts.I have an Access database that references files on my primary machine at: C:\Users\David\OneDrive\Documents\My Files..On a secondary machine on a different network the files are...
  5. Different user accounts with OneDrive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Different user accounts with OneDrive: I am using Windows 10 with Onedrive and I am totally confused about my user / computer accounts.I have an Access database that references files on my primary machine at: C:\Users\David\OneDrive\Documents\My Files..On a secondary machine on a different network the files are...
  6. Different user accounts with OneDrive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. Replaced One of my users with Desktop.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Replaced One of my users with Desktop.: I was originally trying to change my user to another drive because I wanted it on my D drive instead of C and I somehow replaced my user with desktop but it is still inside the user folder. I am also having issues with my windows key not doing what it is supposed to do now...
  8. Two different accounts made? I’m using one, and another different one is in C:\Users? Why...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Two different accounts made? I’m using one, and another different one is in C:\Users? Why...: As in title. I’m using an admin account right now on my laptop, but it appears I have to get permission from a different User to delete a folder. This user was made by me as it has the first five letters of my username, but I don’t know how to take control of it? My current...
  9. different user accounts, only one email address?

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    different user accounts, only one email address?: Hi I've got two computers running windows 7. Both have an administrator account and a standard user account. The computer I use for gaming has a third account for gaming (I have some older games that don't like the aero-peak feature so the gaming account uses a plain...
  10. User accounts and users are different

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    User accounts and users are different: Hi I have two accounts on my laptop: Bryan as admin and James as my local account which I use for my daily workings. All my work is save to a different partition on the hard drive. I now notice that if I go to C:\users, I have my admin account but there are two other...