Windows 10: Replaced CMOS battery Lost Win 10

Discus and support Replaced CMOS battery Lost Win 10 in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I just replaced my CMOS battery. The system rebooted and all my Windows 10 files are gone, it's created a new drive N: but I couldn't restore from... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Jonty45, Apr 10, 2016.

1. Jonty45 Win User

Replaced CMOS battery Lost Win 10

I just replaced my CMOS battery. The system rebooted and all my Windows 10 files are gone, it's created a new drive N: but I couldn't restore from Command line and I have a semi useless Windows 8 in place. Help?

:)

Jonty45, Apr 10, 2016
  2. Nerdling Win User

Lost activation after cmos battery replaced

Thanks Brenda - That would have been my last resort. However; decided to give Microsoft Support a try snd they resolved it for me, via remote ontrol.

Hopefully; this type of problem is not a sign of things to come, following the upgrade. We should be able to maintain our machines without being put through this hassle. Thanks again!

Nerdling, Apr 10, 2016
  3. Nerdling Win User
    Lost activation after cmos battery replaced

My computer required a cmos battery replacement, this morning.

It is/was running Windows 10 (upgraded from Windows 7).

Battery replaced.

However - I am now told that Windows is not activated and I need to supply a key (which naturally I don't have, due to the upgrade).

How do I overcome this - can't find an answer on Support?

Help!!!!!!

Nerdling, Apr 10, 2016
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

The only thing replacing the CMOS battery would do is change your boot settings to default in Bios. Without seeing a screenshot of disk management:
    Disk Management - How to Post a Screenshot of - Windows 10 Forums

My guess is that you have two hard drives. You installed Windows 10 on a second hard drive. When you replaced your CMOS battery, the boot settings went back to default, which was to boot from the Windows 8 hard drive. You need to go back into BIOS settings and change the boot order to boot from the Windows 10 hard drive.

NavyLCDR, Apr 10, 2016
  5. *Ditto Replacing the battery isn't going to erase anything. Like he said, your boot order got changed. If you have installed Windows 8 after the fact though, your files could now be truly gone. Depending on how and where you installed Windows 8.

alphanumeric, Apr 10, 2016
  6. Jonty45 Win User
    Thanks for your reply. My reason for replacing the CMOS battery was a system freeze, having scoured the Google world this appeared to be the remedy. I had installed a Crucial SSD. In the process of examining Disk Management I found that whilst the new Drive(Disk 0) had a System Reserved Partition, the next partition was indicated as the boot partition but did not recognise the SSD when I reset the boot order in BIOS.
    Since then I have done a Clean Install of Windows 10 from the original .iso disk. Now the system continually freezes and crashes. It's frustrating as I am trying to use Command (Admin) but I have been unable to complete any software changes because it never completes the download/installation sequence.

It's an Asus mobo, I have manually checked, the RAM, (removed and reseated) the Graphics Card (Nvidia) and updated all Drivers.

Not quite suicidal but thinking of the Fitter's friend (Hammer)QUOTE=NavyLCDR;632819]The only thing replacing the CMOS battery would do is change your boot settings to default in Bios. Without seeing a screenshot of disk management:
    Disk Management - How to Post a Screenshot of - Windows 10 Forums

My guess is that you have two hard drives. You installed Windows 10 on a second hard drive. When you replaced your CMOS battery, the boot settings went back to default, which was to boot from the Windows 8 hard drive. You need to go back into BIOS settings and change the boot order to boot from the Windows 10 hard drive.[/QUOTE]

Jonty45, Apr 17, 2016
  7. I think you need to post a screen shot of your expanded disk management screen, if possible. I'm not exactly understanding what you did and where your at now?

alphanumeric, Apr 17, 2016
  8. ARC
    Arc Win User

I tried to read the post 4 a few times .... it appears that Jonty45 has done a clean reinstall after his first post; and now he is experiencing system freezes and crashes. But my understanding might be incorrect.
    Hi @Jonty45. Are you experiencing application crashes, or random shutdowns or BSODs?
    If you want, you may post a log following the Blue Screen of Death (BSOD) Posting Instructions in your reply post. The files help to determine the root cause of crashes.

9. Jonty45 Win User
    Both, the BSOD's have been analysed by Whocrashed utility. Most refer to software issues with the kernel/software. The freeze\crashes are still occurring

Jonty45, Apr 17, 2016
  10. ARC
    Arc Win User
    In that case you are suggested to follow post #6.

Thema:

1. Replaced CMOS battery Lost Win 10 - Similar Threads - Replaced CMOS battery

2. PC Not Booting After Replacing CMOS Battery

in Windows 10 Gaming
    PC Not Booting After Replacing CMOS Battery: Hi,I have recently replaced the CMOS battery in my Lenovo G580. Unfortunately, it does want to boot up. The fan and hard drive both make a noise, but the screen does not turn on and the camera LED stays on and it stays there. I tried resetting the CMOS by taking the battery...
  3. PC Not Booting After Replacing CMOS Battery

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    PC Not Booting After Replacing CMOS Battery: Hi,I have recently replaced the CMOS battery in my Lenovo G580. Unfortunately, it does want to boot up. The fan and hard drive both make a noise, but the screen does not turn on and the camera LED stays on and it stays there. I tried resetting the CMOS by taking the battery...
  4. PC Not Booting After Replacing CMOS Battery

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. Cmos battery remove

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Cmos battery remove: hi i have a dell inspiron 5559, i had a problem with my ac charger being unrecognized. I wanted to turn off this warning so i can work on my computer even if the battery wasn't charging, just to remove the warning. But my laptop had an administrator password, i don't know who...
  6. CMOS Battery

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    CMOS Battery: How often should it be changed? I have a ProBook 4540s HP Laptop running Windows 10 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cmos-battery/1b7f89ca-a1e2-458d-ae77-8ad93b347f0b
  7. Toshiba Satelite L40 CMOS Battery replacement

Toshiba Satelite L40 CMOS Battery replacement: Where to find CMOS Battery slot in Toshiba Satelite L40. Do I need to open the entire board to replace it? [IMG] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/toshiba-satelite-l40-cmos-battery-replacement/83977c96-606d-4c93-ad24-7352b083cb8e
  8. cmos battery

cmos battery: Is there a default in set up after replacing the cmos battery or should you take a picture with the flash off just in case? I cannot think of any other way to know the information as print screen etc cannot be used. TY Peter 44179
  9. replace cmos

in Windows 10 Support
    replace cmos: After the battery is replaced, how do I know what settings should be in the BIOS? Should I disable the flash in my camera and take pics of the BIOS? There are a lot of sub menus. What is important to remember? If I click default that would return it to factory so that is...
  10. Just replaced CMOS battery and...

in Windows 10 Support
    Just replaced CMOS battery and...: ....according to clock on task bar the time is wrong. I know this has probably been covered before, but late in my life I find it difficult at times to find the correct old thread with the answer. Please direct and help me. 67352

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows 10 cmos battery lost activation