Windows 10: Replacing HD without Win10 installation media

Discus and support Replacing HD without Win10 installation media in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I bought one of those cheapish mini-PCs (MSI Cubi N) that come with RAM, HD and Windows 10 OS. The HD is a slow 32GB mSata SSD which I want to replace... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Tigerman82, Mar 1, 2016.

1. Replacing HD without Win10 installation media

I bought one of those cheapish mini-PCs (MSI Cubi N) that come with RAM, HD and Windows 10 OS. The HD is a slow 32GB mSata SSD which I want to replace with a Samsung EVO 850 SSD. As the mini-PC did not come with any Windows 10 installation media, I have to find another way to get Windows 10 in an activated state to the new SSD. I will be using a USB3 to SATA cable to get this done.

I've read a lot about cloning and clean installs but haven't found a definitive answer to what I should do in my situation. While the Samsung SSD does come with its own software for cloning etc., I've read that using Macrium Reflect Free or MiniTool Partition Wizard is the best bet. So should I clone the mSata to the Samsung SSD using Macrium Reflect's Clone function or use Partition Wizard's 'Migrate OS to SSD' function? Or would it be better to take an image of the Windows installation using Macrium?

My main priority is to get a functioning and activated Windows to the Samsung SSD. It would be great to keep all the apps and data (although I have very little) but it's not a necessity.

Help would be appreciated.

:)

Tigerman82, Mar 1, 2016

2. Hard Drive Dying - Transfer license to new HD (In same pc)?

I have a Desktop pc who's HD is dying. The machine was originally purchased with Win8 installed, and I upgraded to Win10 during the period free upgrades were available.

When I replace the HD, do I need to purchase a new copy of Win10, or is there a means of transferring the license for the existing install to the new HD?

If the latter, would someone be kind enough to point me towards some instructions for doing the new install given I have no media available.

Thanks!

RussWilner, Mar 1, 2016
  3. My HD has failed I need to replace it. How to I do that and keep Win10?

My HD is showing signs of failing. How can I replace my HD and then reinstall Win10 ?

AprilSmiths, Mar 1, 2016
  4. Replacing HD without Win10 installation media

The product code will be embedded in the BIOS, if you go here, https://www.microsoft.com/en-ca/soft...load/windows10 you can get install media that will read it and activate with it. You just need to know what exact version is currently installed. This utility will tell you that, https://www.tenforums.com/software-ap...7-showkey.html Download and install the matching version and you should be all set. If imaging doesn't work out for you that is. The last time I tried to clone it didn't work for me. I was going the other way though, large spinner to smaller SSD drive. I just couldn't get it to work and finally just did a clean install.

alphanumeric, Mar 1, 2016
  5. Clintlgm Win User
    Here is a video that shows you how to use Macrium Reflect, very few failures if used correctly. This video is for a spinner to SSD however the principles are the same the only difference being you'll expand C:\ to fit your larger SSD. also the step to convert to MBR is incorrect should be convert to GPT that step is not really needed as long as your new SSD is still unused and in a clean state.
    One other question? are you sure that your OS is installed on the 32 GB SSD, in my experience these smaller SSD are set up as Cache drives to speed up your hard drive??

Clintlgm, Mar 1, 2016
  6. Yes, I'm sure. Anyway, thanks for the video. I've used Macrium before and just wanted to confirm whether I should clone or image (or migrate OS with Partition Wizard). It seems that most people just clone their old drives to their new SSDs. I'll do the same.

Tigerman82, Mar 1, 2016
  7. Clintlgm Win User
    Well, MR has a very good record with few failures. I use Mini Tool for partition work only. to answer you question directly. I would create a Disk Image with MR first and just save that. You can use the image to restore to your new SSD or Clone directly either one Is just about the same amount of time and you still have the image you created should some failure occur. Personally I don't think you can have to many Images. Usually create at least 3 on every clean install. Clean Install, then Clean install windows fully updated, another with windows installed all drivers install. and one with my standard software install. Then the last one I keep on a scheduled back up with daily Incremental back ups. No matter what I can get back to any of the images and start over again from that point should I have issues.

Clintlgm, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Replacing HD without Win10 installation media

1. Replacing HD without Win10 installation media - Similar Threads - Replacing without Win10

2. Installation Media USB for Win10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Installation Media USB for Win10: Asking for a driver when I started the Installation from USB. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/installation-media-usb-for-win10/84f52577-3cba-4f3f-a84f-c6385ae12fa3
  3. Installation Media USB for Win10

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Installation Media USB for Win10: Asking for a driver when I started the Installation from USB. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/installation-media-usb-for-win10/84f52577-3cba-4f3f-a84f-c6385ae12fa3
  4. Installation Media USB for Win10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Replace motherboard,etc without losing data - or Win10 license ??

Replace motherboard,etc without losing data - or Win10 license ??: I have a Windows 10 Pro (Windows 10 [Version 6.3.19042]) system here that I am very happy with; all SSDs, including an M.2 NVMe drive for games, excellent video card, tons of USB 3 slots. However, my motherboard is an 8-year-old Gigabyte with Core i7-3820. So I've purchased a...
  6. Win10 Media Creation Tool failed to install win10

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Win10 Media Creation Tool failed to install win10: So after the recent windows 10 update, my computer is getting slow boot times, and the boot log says that wimmount.sys, WdFilter.sys, NDProxy.sys, and dxgkrnl.sys are not loaded. I tried sfc /scannow but the error message says "windows resource protection could not start the...
  7. Installing Win10 on new SSD (replacing old HD) - question about making USB flashdrive and...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Installing Win10 on new SSD (replacing old HD) - question about making USB flashdrive and...: I'll be installing windows 10 on a harddrive (1TB SSD) I'm replacing my old one (1TB 7200rpm) with, on my HP Pavilion laptop (~4 years old). I'd like to have least amount of annoying extra bloatware/adware/extra background processes etc., so the new windows is as clean as...
  8. Replace hd and win10

Replace hd and win10: Acer 7551-7422 hard drive totally dead. They have never backed up the computer. The computer did upgrade quite a while back from Windows 7 home premium to Windows 10. I am installing a new ssd. I was told I needed to reinstall Win7 then do an upgrade but for some reason that...
  9. Replacing the HD

Replacing the HD: I'd like to replace my hard disk with an SSD in order to improve performance. How can I do that and preserve my Windows, Office and other licences, as well as the installed apps, etc.? Thanks Marco...
  10. Replacing HD with SSD - Not Recognized

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Replacing HD with SSD - Not Recognized: I'm trying to replace my 1TB HD with a similar size SanDisk SSD. I plan to use Apricorn Ez Gig IV to clone the HD to the SSD. I cannot get the SSD to show as a valid drive on File Explorer and the software shows the drive but says it cannot find it. I can see the new drive in...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. how to get replacement win10 media?

2. replace hd in win10 image