Windows 10: Replacing old HD with SSD - product key question

Discus and support Replacing old HD with SSD - product key question in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; The hard drive in my laptop is dying. I am upgrading to an SSD this weekend. I have a couple of hopefully quick questions. My laptop originally came... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by WishYouWereHere, May 18, 2018.

1. Replacing old HD with SSD - product key question

The hard drive in my laptop is dying. I am upgrading to an SSD this weekend. I have a couple of hopefully quick questions.

My laptop originally came with Windows 8.1. As soon as I was able to I did the free upgrade to Windows 10. I really do not want to purchase a copy of Windows 10. I do have a partition on my hard drive that will allow me to create a bootable installation USB drive. But I think that would be 8.1 again (original OS). Yesterday my computer updated to the 1803 update for Windows.

I see there is a tutorial on the use of the Media Creation Tool and/or Rufus. I can follow that. My question is if my product key will be valid with a new hard drive? Or will my product key only work for an 8.1 installation?

Thank you in advance for any help that you can give. It is very much appreciated.

:)

WishYouWereHere, May 18, 2018

2. Upgrading a Windows 10 Laptop from HD to SSD.

Hi Ratnam,

Thank you for posting the query on Microsoft Community.

Are you using both the hard drives or do you want to completely transfer all the data and OS from HD to SSD?

If you need to transfer everything then you need to install OS on SSD and transfer the data from HD to SSD.

• You need to have a product key for Windows 7, then create an installation media using the download link.
      Download Windows 10:Download Windows 10
    • Later install Windows 10 on SSD and activate it using the product key.
    • Then transfer (Copy and paste) the data from HD to SSD.
    Hope this helps in resolving the issue. If the issue persists, do get back to us. We will be happy to assist you.

Kalpana Shankarappa, May 20, 2018
  3. JanSalden Win User
    activation lost after replacing hd by ssd

I upgraded my laptop to windows 10. no problem

replaced my hard drive with an ssd . Cloned

After booting up I got the message laptop is not accivated.

Back to the old drive. Laptop is activated.

How do I solve this

jan

JanSalden, May 20, 2018
Thema:

Replacing old HD with SSD - product key question

1. Replacing old HD with SSD - product key question - Similar Threads - Replacing old SSD

2. Replace HD with SSD and upgrade memory

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Replace HD with SSD and upgrade memory: I am planning to upgrade my HP Envy x360 laptop by installing an SSD and 16 GB RAM. I already made a WindowsImage Backup and installed it in portable drive to recover the Windows 10 OS, programs and files from the hard drive to be replaced. What are the steps I need to follow...
  3. Replace HD with SSD and upgrade memory

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Replace HD with SSD and upgrade memory: I am planning to upgrade my HP Envy x360 laptop by installing an SSD and 16 GB RAM. I already made a WindowsImage Backup and installed it in portable drive to recover the Windows 10 OS, programs and files from the hard drive to be replaced. What are the steps I need to follow...
  4. Replace HD with SSD and upgrade memory

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Product Key question

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Product Key question: Who do I have to call if I want to transfer my Windows 10 operating to a new computer? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/product-key-question/53ebe7a4-d316-4e9d-8c23-aa97a1474d72
  6. Installing Win10 on new SSD (replacing old HD) - question about making USB flashdrive and...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Installing Win10 on new SSD (replacing old HD) - question about making USB flashdrive and...: I'll be installing windows 10 on a harddrive (1TB SSD) I'm replacing my old one (1TB 7200rpm) with, on my HP Pavilion laptop (~4 years old). I'd like to have least amount of annoying extra bloatware/adware/extra background processes etc., so the new windows is as clean as...
  7. Replacing notebook HD with SSD (use HD for internal storage)

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Replacing notebook HD with SSD (use HD for internal storage): A mobile workstation came with 750 GB HD and 32 GB flash cache. https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers...tation/5387509 There are two HD bays. One has the HD in a chassis and the other is empty (no chassis). The 32 GB SSD is flash cache. It cannot be used for storage. The...
  8. Replacing HD with SSD - Not Recognized

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Replacing HD with SSD - Not Recognized: I'm trying to replace my 1TB HD with a similar size SanDisk SSD. I plan to use Apricorn Ez Gig IV to clone the HD to the SSD. I cannot get the SSD to show as a valid drive on File Explorer and the software shows the drive but says it cannot find it. I can see the new drive in...
  9. Product Key Question.....

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Product Key Question.....: Hi, I successfully upgraded from Win 8.1 Pro to Win 10 Pro using the 'MediaCreator' setup tool (for some reason, I never received a notification about my reserved copy) and it activated itself without a problem. I plan to do a clean install at some stage, so I also downloaded...
  10. Product key question

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Product key question: I am going to install Windows 7 via ISO file when it calls for a product key do I use my win7 key? Thanks 10453