Windows 10: Require password after sleep.

Discus and support Require password after sleep. in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; I need my Windows 10 computer to require my windows password after waking from sleep. All answers on the web point to either the 'Control Panel ->... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by eaa, Oct 27, 2017.

1. EAA
    eaa Win User

Require password after sleep.

I need my Windows 10 computer to require my windows password after waking from sleep.
    All answers on the web point to either the 'Control Panel -> Hardware and Sound -> Power Options' menu or the 'Settings -> Accounts -> Sign-in options' menu. I have checked both and the ability to require a password after sleeping is absent. I have also searched the lock screen settings and screen timeout settings, but to no avail.

Any help is much appreciated, thanks.

Some additional information: This is a new computer with the current version of Windows 10. The 'Sign-in options' page (where I believe the setting should be) shows these options: 'Windows Hello', 'Password', 'PIN', 'Picture Password', and 'Privacy'.
    I have also checked 'On resume, display logon screen' in the screen saver settings: this did not work.

:)

2. Win 10 not intermittently going to sleep

Why does Win 10 NOT go to sleep after no use

Power Setting currently : Go to sleep after 30 minutes of no use, Require password on wakeup

If I click sleep mode, it works. However, computer does not go to sleep if left unused for hours and does not activate lock screen or require password

DaddyOBlue, Oct 27, 2017
  3. Dave_Han Win User
    How to Turn off Windows 10 password / pin

Hi and thank you for the tip.

However, I've done just what you suggested and it still requires me to put in a password. I go and look and it says no password required.

Also have the screen sleep issue. I have it set to sleep after an hour and it sleeps after 30 seconds. It won't change.

UGH....

Dave_Han, Oct 27, 2017
  4. davidhk Win User

ok. Do it the old fashioned way.......
    Since my Win 10 is the current version 1709, I have to give you instructions based on memory.
    The "step by step" or the wordings could be a little off. But you should be able to understand the instructions.
    Go to Control Panel > top right, click the "View by" > select either small or large > click Power Options .
    Left side, click Choose what the power buttons do > right side,, click Change settings that are currently unavailable > select Require a password on wake up > click Save changes.

davidhk, Oct 27, 2017
  5. EAA
    eaa Win User
    Thank you for the replies, but unfortunately these options are missing for me.
    Here are my Power options and sign-in options respectively:

Require password after sleep. [​IMG]

Require password after sleep. [​IMG]

6. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Brink, Oct 27, 2017
  7. EAA
    eaa Win User
    I just checked and can see I have windows updates to install, I will install them and update the thread if the issue persists. Thanks all

Thema:

1. Require password after sleep. - Similar Threads - Require password sleep

2. password required after waking

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    password required after waking: Hi there, My laptop now requires a password after waking from sleep mode, and it won't let me change this, despite me being the admin. I realize this is a security "feature", but it's unwanted, how can I remove this? Thanks for your help!!...
  3. Password after sleep.

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Password after sleep.: Hi My laptop does not require a password after sleep. The "Require Password on Wakeup" setting is not available. Any suggestions. Win.Version. 10.0.19042 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/password-after-sleep/9891783c-c689-46e5-bc4d-729cb9c62dbc
  4. password requirements on both hibernation and sleep

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    password requirements on both hibernation and sleep: Hi all. I'm having sign-in issues. What I want is to be able to require password upon waking from hibernation, but not sleep. Is this a possibility? Thanks for any consideration and replies....
  5. Windows requiring password after sleep - again - How did this happen?

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Windows requiring password after sleep - again - How did this happen?: Using Brinks tutorial "How to Turn On or Off Require Sign-in on Wakeup in Windows 10", I disabled the requirement to use a password so my desktop went directly to the desktop after sleep. I used Method 3: Command Prompt. Worked like a charm. Suddenly, and without any obvious...
  6. PC Sleep options password required?

PC Sleep options password required?: Can you guys do a favor for me and check in Settings/Accounts/Sign-in Options and see if you have the same red warning text that policies are set to require a password when PC wakes from Sleep and the options are grayed-out? Because in my Group Policy settings I have all...
  7. PC Sleep options password required?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    PC Sleep options password required?: Can you guys do a favor for me and check in Settings/Accounts/Sign-in Options and see if you have the same red warning text that policies are set to require a password when PC wakes from Sleep and the options are grayed-out? Because in my Group Policy settings I have all...
  8. Password Required after sleep

Password Required after sleep: I have suddenly got a power management problem. On first boot up the laptop fires up Win Home and does not require a password input. However if I close the lid, the laptop goes to sleep. open the lid press space bar and it now asks for the login password. I have run...
  9. How to not require password after inactivity; only after sleep

How to not require password after inactivity; only after sleep: I recently enabled the lock screen slideshow in Windows 10. Every time my display turns off (after 2 minutes of inactivity), it goes back to the lock screen and I have to login again. This issue is fixed by going to Settings-->Accounts-->Sign-in options and changing...
  10. Restart required after sleep

in Windows 10 Support
    Restart required after sleep: Once my computer goes to sleep, I have to do a restart to get any videos to play. On YouTube I get the "If playback doesn't begin shortly, try restarting your device." Unfortunately, I get this message for any video on any site after sleep. It's not limited to just Chrome. I...