Windows 10: Reset and Clear Print Spooler in Windows 10

Discus and support Reset and Clear Print Spooler in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Reset and Clear Print Spooler in Windows 10 How to Reset and Clear Print Spooler in Windows 10 The primary component of the printing... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by WTig3ner, Mar 21, 2018.

1. WTig3ner Win User

Reset and Clear Print Spooler in Windows 10

How to: Reset and Clear Print Spooler in Windows 10

How to Reset and Clear Print Spooler in Windows 10

The primary component of the printing interface is the print spooler. The print spooler is an executable file that manages the printing process. Management of printing involves retrieving the location of the correct printer driver, loading that driver, spooling high-level function calls into a print job, scheduling the print job for printing, and so on.

A printer spooler enables storing multiple print jobs within a print queue where its retrieved by the printer or print server. Print jobs are stored in a queue at the speed of the computer, then retrieved and printed at the speed of the printer. Multiple processes can send print jobs to the spool without waiting, and can then perform other tasks, while the "spooler" process operates the printer.

If you have a stuck print job in the print queue, you can clear and reset the print spooler to remove the stuck print job.

This tutorial will show you how to reset and clear the print spooler to remove print jobs in Windows 10.

*Warning You must be signed in as an administrator to reset and clear the print spooler.

CONTENTS:
    • Option One: To Reset and Clear Print Spooler using a BAT file
    • Option Two: To Reset and Clear Print Spooler in Command Prompt

OPTION ONE [/i] To Reset and Clear Print Spooler using a BAT file
    1. Click/tap on the Download button below to download the .bat file below.
    Reset_and_clear_print_spooler.bat

Download
    2. Save the .bat file to your desktop.

3. Unblock the .bat file.

4. Run the .bat file.

5. When prompted by run as administrator.

6. You will now see a command prompt flash and quickly open and close to reset and clear the print spooler.

OPTION TWO [/i] To Reset and Clear Print Spooler in Command Prompt
    1. Open an elevated command prompt.

2. Enter the commands below into the elevated command prompt one at a time, and press Enter after each command. (see screenshot below)
    net stop spooler

DEL /F /S /Q %systemroot%\System32\spool\PRINTERS\*

net start spooler
    3. When finished, you can close the elevated command prompt if you like.

Reset and Clear Print Spooler in Windows 10 [​IMG]

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

WTig3ner, Mar 21, 2018

2. Printing.

Hello Richard,

This issue might occur due to a corrupted Print Spooler. To help you out with your concern, you may refer to the steps provided in this
    article on how to resolve printer problems in Windows 10. You may also refer to the steps in the section
    Step 4: Clear and reset the Print Spooler on how to clear and reset the print spooler. Performing the steps will also delete the print queue.

Let us know the outcome and if you need further help.

Stephanie Sal, Mar 21, 2018
  3. Documents Disappear in Print Spooler before printing

Hi David,

There are different factors that can contribute as to why you're not able to print documents on a wireless printer that other computer can use to print. This could be caused by outdated device drivers or the
    print spooler that temporarily stores print jobs on the computer needs to be reset

Since you are still not able to print documents after you completing different troubleshooting steps, we suggest that you follow the steps to

clear and reset the print spooler
    to resolve your concern. This will allow you to restart the
    print spooler service that manages the printing process in your computer.

We look forward to your response after you complete the steps.

Jordan Dom, Mar 21, 2018
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

Thank you for the addition WTig3ner, and welcome to Ten Forums. *Smile

Brink, Mar 21, 2018
  5. RickC Win User
    I use the same commands but wrapped in an AutoHotkey script which takes care of the elevation and provides an onscreen message:

Code: ; Based on Clear the Print Queue with AutoHotKey by Deleting the Print Queue's "Locked" Files - AutoHotkey Community #SingleInstance force ; Ensure only one instance at a time #NoTrayIcon ; Surpress the default Notification tray icon ; Prompt to 'Run as Admin', i.e. show UAC dialog If Not A_IsAdmin { Run *RunAs "%A_ScriptFullPath%" ; Requires AHK v1.0.92.01+ ExitApp } SplashImage,, W300 H120,, `nPlease wait...`n`nThe Printer queue is being cleared.`n`n This may take up to 10 seconds., Clear Printer Queue ; Show user message to inform what's happening Runwait, %comspec% /c "net stop spooler",, hide ; Stop the Print Spooler ; Windows has its Print Queue located at the path used below. Runwait, %comspec% /c "del C:\Windows\System32\spool\printers\* /Q /F /S",, hide ; Delete all files in the Print Queue (using [Q]uiet mode, [F]orce and clear ub-folders switches) Runwait, %comspec% /c "net start spooler",, hide ; Restart the Print Spooler splashimage, off ; Close the information message ExitApp[/quote]
    I've added this as a right-click option using a REG file:

Code: Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00 [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\Directory\background\shell\Clear Print Queue] "Icon"="C:\\Windows\\System32\\shell32.dll,222" "MUIVerb"="Clear Print Queue" [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\Directory\background\shell\Clear Print Queue\command] @="explorer /root,\"C:\\Support\\ClearPrinterQueue.ahk\""[/quote]
    Hope this helps...

RickC, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Reset and Clear Print Spooler in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Reset Clear Print

2. print spooler

in Windows 10 Gaming
    print spooler: print spooler is curently running but when trying toinstall printer drivers it ssy spoller has stopped but it still running https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/print-spooler/88996641-a0cf-40e6-8ec2-79d12357dfc2
  3. print spooler

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    print spooler: print spooler is curently running but when trying toinstall printer drivers it ssy spoller has stopped but it still running https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/print-spooler/88996641-a0cf-40e6-8ec2-79d12357dfc2
  4. Print Spooler

Print Spooler: we have a few windows 10 pro 2004 machines that the print spoolers keep going disabled. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/print-spooler/2a0c721a-4335-42fb-be1e-1ccf62a244f3
  5. Print Spooler

Print Spooler: Since the Windows 10 update in March I can't print. Printer Spooler keeps stopping and I've restarted it numerous times but it stops after a couple of minutes. WIndows Troubleshooter advises to install new printer but can't add new driver as print spooler keeps stopping....
  6. Print spooler

Print spooler: Just updated win 10 to latest update. Now cannot print to HP Laserjet Pro mfp 1410. The print spooler will not remain on. What should I do? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/print-spooler/fe76dc32-5978-4e2b-b195-0dcd75753c60
  7. Windows 10 print spooler

Windows 10 print spooler: Is there a permanent fix in any Windows 10 update that corrects the issue of the print spooler failing to clear after every print job? It has become very tiresome shutting down the print services and clearing it manually or rebooting before each print job....
  8. Print Spooler not clearing after printing

Print Spooler not clearing after printing: My print spooler is not clearing after printing so the next time I try to print something else, it's just printing out the same thing again. Any ideas?...
  9. print spooler

print spooler: after each update you make mess in my PC or lets say ...no printer works always say that print spooler does not work than I go to services and found print spooler, open it and press START.... in about 10 sec. just by it self jumps in STOPPED --or let say simples , he...
  10. Print Spooler

Print Spooler: My update to Windows 10 from Windows 7 went without problems but none of the three printers attached to my computer worked and I have been struggling with the problem over the last two weeks. There is another long thread "Can't connect to Printer" which has not produced a...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. reset print spooler windows 10

2. clear spooler windows 10

3. clear print spooler windows 10

4. reset spooler windows 10,
  5. printer spooler reset windows 10,
  6. clear spooler in windows 10,
  7. reset and clear print spooler.bat,
  8. how to clear a print spooler on win 10,
  9. Reset_and_clear_print_spooler.bat,
  10. clear and reset print spooler on windows 10,
  11. after win 10 update print spooler needs reset,