Windows 10: Reset and Clear Print Spooler in Windows 10

Discus and support Reset and Clear Print Spooler in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; Shawn's method works, but I think there is an easier (1-click) way. I cobbled this together from web research, so I don't deserve any credit (except... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by WTig3ner, Mar 21, 2018.

1. WTig3ner Win User

Reset and Clear Print Spooler in Windows 10

Shawn's method works, but I think there is an easier (1-click) way. I cobbled this together from web research, so I don't deserve any credit (except perhaps for creative laziness).

From Windows 10 PowerShell, I created a ps1 file with two commands in it:
    net stop spooler
    net start spooler

Then I created a batch file with a single command in it:
    PowerShell -NoProfile -ExecutionPolicy Unrestricted -Command "& {Start-Process PowerShell -ArgumentList '-NoProfile -ExecutionPolicy Unrestricted -File ""c:\users\[insert your username]\[insert the path to the ps1 file]\PrintSpooler.ps1""' -Verb RunAs}";

Then, because I really am lazy, I created a batch file that I could attach to the Quick Launch bar:
    explorer.exe "C:\Users\[insert your username]\[insert the path to the ps1 file]\Print Spooler.bat"

You can then simply left-click on the Quick Launch bar icon for that last file, and your print spooler will reset. You need not invoke administrator level. This method does not seem to require the second line of code from the Administrator Command Prompt box above, although wiser heads than mine (not hard to find those) may say that I'm just accumulating worthless files by not dumping them. If that turns out to be the case, edit the ps1 file to insert the suggested command.

I am sure that in the fullness of time, Microsoft will come up with something so that this fix does not work, because that's what Microsoft does. But it works for now.

:)

WTig3ner, Mar 21, 2018

2. Printing.

Hello Richard,

This issue might occur due to a corrupted Print Spooler. To help you out with your concern, you may refer to the steps provided in this
    article on how to resolve printer problems in Windows 10. You may also refer to the steps in the section
    Step 4: Clear and reset the Print Spooler on how to clear and reset the print spooler. Performing the steps will also delete the print queue.

Let us know the outcome and if you need further help.

Stephanie Sal, Mar 21, 2018
  3. Documents Disappear in Print Spooler before printing

Hi David,

There are different factors that can contribute as to why you're not able to print documents on a wireless printer that other computer can use to print. This could be caused by outdated device drivers or the
    print spooler that temporarily stores print jobs on the computer needs to be reset

Since you are still not able to print documents after you completing different troubleshooting steps, we suggest that you follow the steps to

clear and reset the print spooler
    to resolve your concern. This will allow you to restart the
    print spooler service that manages the printing process in your computer.

We look forward to your response after you complete the steps.

Jordan Dom, Mar 21, 2018
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

Thank you for the addition WTig3ner, and welcome to Ten Forums. *Smile

Brink, Mar 21, 2018
  5. RickC Win User
    I use the same commands but wrapped in an AutoHotkey script which takes care of the elevation and provides an onscreen message:

Reset and Clear Print Spooler in Windows 10 [​IMG]

Code: ; Based on Clear the Print Queue with AutoHotKey by Deleting the Print Queue's "Locked" Files - AutoHotkey Community #SingleInstance force ; Ensure only one instance at a time #NoTrayIcon ; Surpress the default Notification tray icon ; Prompt to 'Run as Admin', i.e. show UAC dialog If Not A_IsAdmin { Run *RunAs "%A_ScriptFullPath%" ; Requires AHK v1.0.92.01+ ExitApp } SplashImage,, W300 H120,, `nPlease wait...`n`nThe Printer queue is being cleared.`n`n This may take up to 10 seconds., Clear Printer Queue ; Show user message to inform what's happening Runwait, %comspec% /c "net stop spooler",, hide ; Stop the Print Spooler ; Windows has its Print Queue located at the path used below. Runwait, %comspec% /c "del C:\Windows\System32\spool\printers\* /Q /F /S",, hide ; Delete all files in the Print Queue (using [Q]uiet mode, [F]orce and clear ub-folders switches) Runwait, %comspec% /c "net start spooler",, hide ; Restart the Print Spooler splashimage, off ; Close the information message ExitApp[/quote]
    I've added this as a right-click option using a REG file:

Reset and Clear Print Spooler in Windows 10 [​IMG]

Code: Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00 [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\Directory\background\shell\Clear Print Queue] "Icon"="C:\\Windows\\System32\\shell32.dll,222" "MUIVerb"="Clear Print Queue" [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\Directory\background\shell\Clear Print Queue\command] @="explorer /root,\"C:\\Support\\ClearPrinterQueue.ahk\""[/quote]
    Hope this helps...

RickC, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Reset and Clear Print Spooler in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Reset Clear Print

2. Print spooler issue with Wnidows 10 1709

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Print spooler issue with Wnidows 10 1709: Hi, We are currently facing a very weird issue with printing. Printer Model : HP laserjet M427fdn and Laserjet 128fn. Windows OS : Windows 10 Pro 1709 or lower (Preloaded) Laptop Model : HP 240 series Earlier everything was fine with printing through same systems and same...
  3. The Print Spooler Service is not running in Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    The Print Spooler Service is not running in Windows 10: [ATTACH] The Print Spooler Service is responsible for managing print jobs which are in turn meant for the printer to handle. If this service ceases to work, the printer won’t print documents and it might be that the system won’t detect [...] This post The Print Spooler...
  4. Problem with print spooler

Problem with print spooler: I have an HP Officejet 8720 and run Windows 10. I met this problem with a print spooler after two last Windows updates. It keeps filling and occasionally takes up over 2GB in the Task Manager. I don’t print so much so it is an issue that I need to fix. I tried to delete and...
  5. Print Spooler not clearing after printing

Print Spooler not clearing after printing: My print spooler is not clearing after printing so the next time I try to print something else, it's just printing out the same thing again. Any ideas?...
  6. print spooler

print spooler: after each update you make mess in my PC or lets say ...no printer works always say that print spooler does not work than I go to services and found print spooler, open it and press START.... in about 10 sec. just by it self jumps in STOPPED --or let say simples , he...
  7. Print Spooler Service Stopping

Print Spooler Service Stopping: What can I do to keep the print spooler service from stopping all the time ? I have to restart it almost daily. Thanks in advance for assistance. 70050
  8. Print Spooler

Print Spooler: My update to Windows 10 from Windows 7 went without problems but none of the three printers attached to my computer worked and I have been struggling with the problem over the last two weeks. There is another long thread "Can't connect to Printer" which has not produced a...
  9. Print Spooler Issue or Something Else?

Print Spooler Issue or Something Else?: I have what may be a print spooler or print queue problem. I have two network printers connected, a HP Lazerjet pro 400 (M401dne) and a HP Officejet Pro 8610. I am unable to print on the 8610 by sending documents to the printer. I can print an internal (?) test page using...
  10. "Print Spooler service isn't running"

"Print Spooler service isn't running": For some reason, my printer doesn't show up in applications such as Microsoft Word or Libre Office, although I'm sure that it's connected properly to the computer because it still lets me scan documents. When I troubleshoot the printer, I get this error message: "The Print...