Windows 10: Reset Desktop Background Choose Your Picture History in Windows 10

Discus and support Reset Desktop Background Choose Your Picture History in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Reset Desktop Background Choose Your Picture History in Windows 10 How to Reset Desktop Background Choose Your Picture History in Windows 10... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by Brink, Nov 20, 2017.

1. Brink
    Brink New Member

Reset Desktop Background Choose Your Picture History in Windows 10

How to: Reset Desktop Background Choose Your Picture History in Windows 10

How to Reset Desktop Background Choose Your Picture History in Windows 10

Reset Desktop Background Choose Your Picture History in Windows 10 [​IMG]
    Information Your desktop background (also called wallpaper) in Windows 10 can be a picture from your personal collection or included with Windows, a solid color, or a slideshow playing selected pictures randomly on all displays.

If you select to use a picture as your desktop background, Windows will show the last five pictures as your history under "Choose your picture".

This tutorial will show you how to clear and reset the desktop background picture history back to the default images for your account in Windows 10.

CONTENTS:
    • Option One: To Automatically Reset Desktop Background Choose Your Picture History using a REG file
    • Option Two: To Manually Reset Desktop Background Choose Your Picture History in Registry Editor

EXAMPLE: "Choose your picture" history in Desktop Background Settings

OPTION ONE [/i] To Automatically Reset Desktop Background Choose Your Picture History using a REG file

Note The .reg file below will delete the string values in the registry key below to reset them back to their default values.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Wallpapers

String Values (REG_SZ):
    • BackgroundHistoryPath0
    • BackgroundHistoryPath1
    • BackgroundHistoryPath2
    • BackgroundHistoryPath3
    • BackgroundHistoryPath4
    1. Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below.
    Reset_Desktop_background_Choose_your_picture_history.reg

Download
    2. Save the .reg file to your desktop.

3. Double click/tap on the downloaded .reg file to merge it.

4. When prompted, click/tap on Run, Yes (UAC), Yes, and OK to approve the merge.

5. If you have the Settings\Personalization\Background page open, close and reopen to apply.

6. If you like, you can now delete the downloaded .reg file.

OPTION TWO [/i] To Manually Reset Desktop Background Choose Your Picture History in Registry Editor
    1. Press the Win+R keys to open Run, type regedit into Run, and click/tap on OK to open Registry Editor.

2. Navigate to the key below in the left pane of Registry Editor. (see screenshot below)
    *Arrow HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Wallpapers

3. In the right pane of the Wallpapers key, select the BackgroundHistoryPath0, BackgroundHistoryPath1, BackgroundHistoryPath2, BackgroundHistoryPath3, and BackgroundHistoryPath4 string values (REG_SZ), right click on them, and click/tap on Delete. (see screenshot below)

4. Click/tap on Yes to confirm. (see screenshot below)

5. When finished, you can close Registry Editor if you like.

6. If you have the Settings\Personalization\Background page open, close and reopen to apply.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

Brink, Nov 20, 2017
  2. Brink Win User
    Brink, Oct 26, 2019
  3. Changing the background in Windows 10 from picture foders created on the hard drive?

Hi,

Sorry for the delay in response

I would suggest you to try the following steps:

• Open Desktop Background by right clicking on the desktop clicking Personalization

• Click the picture or color that you want to use for your desktop background.

• If the picture you want to use isn't in the list of desktop background pictures, click an item in the Picture location list to see other categories, or click Browse to search for the picture on your computer.
      When you find the picture that you want, double-click it. It will become your desktop background.

Hope this helps.

Waseemulla S, Oct 26, 2019
  4. Brink Win User

Brink, Oct 26, 2019
  5. Misiowiec Win User
    Lost desktop background

I did a Search & Distroy spyware scan the other day, and one of the suggested "fixes" said something about removing Active Desktop. Like the muppet I am I clicked yes and am now without a desktop background picture.

Does anyone have an idea how to reverse this? If I try to select a picture it's simply not added as a background.

Misiowiec, Oct 26, 2019
  6. schadbou Win User
    Desktop Background Picture resets on restart to unsaved theme

Steps I take on new Windows 10 machine that only has Office 365 E3 installed (All four of the last machines I've set up have same issue, new HP Probooks).

1. Right click desktop, choose personalize

2. Choose Picture from Background dropdown

3. Browse to Pictures and choose picture for background

4. Click Themes on Settings page, then Theme settings

5. Save newly created picture theme under "My Themes"

6. Check to make sure it shows on Desktop Background.

7. Restart machine.

Reset Desktop Background Choose Your Picture History in Windows 10 086fa997-3e32-4909-a513-9700ef3a2bf7?upload=true.png

On restart the Background is solid color black again and in My Themes there is a newly created unsaved theme. Every. Time. It doesn't matter if I choose a default picture that came with the machine or one of my own. The Theme and Background will always
    reset on restart.

I even just tested this trying to use a Window Default Theme. That one won't stick either on restart. It continues to go back to an Unsaved Theme with solid black background.

schadbou, Oct 26, 2019
Thema:

1. Reset Desktop Background Choose Your Picture History in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Reset Desktop Background

2. Windows won't allow Me to choose a picture background

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows won't allow Me to choose a picture background: Hey guys,Windows won't let me change my background to a picture. I can choose a solid color fine, and when I choose a theme, that's also fine, but if I'm trying to just choose a picture I'd like as a desktop background, it's not allowing me to select it. I checked other...
  3. Desktop Background Picture resets on restart

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Desktop Background Picture resets on restart: Sync setting disabled. Windows 11 issue. Very annoying. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/desktop-background-picture-resets-on-restart/75cbc77f-93e6-44d0-87c2-3996ef356a26
  4. Desktop Background Picture resets on restart

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Desktop Background Picture resets on restart: Sync setting disabled. Windows 11 issue. Very annoying. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/desktop-background-picture-resets-on-restart/75cbc77f-93e6-44d0-87c2-3996ef356a26
  5. Desktop background picture.

in Windows 10 Customization
    Desktop background picture.: I clicked on a picture to make it the desktop background… which it did, but there is a large "over-scan", so the edges of the pic are missing. How do I shrink the displayed background to show the whole picture? Thanks for all replies....
  6. Desktop background Picture

Desktop background Picture: I use Windows 10 I would like to cancel/delete the background picture which I can see on my PC desktop. This picture added by mistake. Please comment. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/desktop-background-picture/68307af9-f96d-4cc4-8c2d-2f799e00e6f6
  7. Desktop Background Picture

Desktop Background Picture: Can anyone tell me why my Desktop Background Picture keeps reverting to the previously selected one every 2-3 days and how to cure it??? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/desktop-background-picture/a606adc4-b343-4184-9dcc-ffe3d1ecb682
  8. Choosing pictures for desktop background from downloaded Microsoft themes

Choosing pictures for desktop background from downloaded Microsoft themes: I used to be able to see all the pictures in a downloaded theme and then select the ones I wanted in the slideshow. I don't seem to be able to do that anymore and would like to be able to select the ones I want or create my own from several themes and/or pictures from those...
  9. SOLVED!how do i reset this"choose your picture" ?

SOLVED!how do i reset this"choose your picture" ?: how do i reset this"choose your picture" ? its driving me crazy seeing screen shots I took of windows 8.1 to show my friends who were wanting to see it before they upgraded. I no longer have these images yet they are showing up here. Solved. I just removed the photos...
  10. how can I choose the Theme pictures for Desktop Background

how can I choose the Theme pictures for Desktop Background: In W-7, I could go to the "Change the visuals and sounds on your computer" and click the "Desktop Background" Slide Show. once there, I could check or uncheck the pictures I wanted. In W-10, when I click "Desktop Background", I get the "Background" "Preview" window. There's...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. reset choose your picture