Windows 10: Reset Internet Explorer to Default in Windows 10

Discus and support Reset Internet Explorer to Default in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Reset Internet Explorer to Default in Windows 10 How to Reset Internet Explorer to Default in Windows 10 [img] Information default web... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by Cliff S, Oct 19, 2015.

1. Cliff S New Member

Reset Internet Explorer to Default in Windows 10

How to: Reset Internet Explorer to Default in Windows 10

How to Reset Internet Explorer to Default in Windows 10

Reset Internet Explorer to Default in Windows 10 [​IMG]
    Information default web browser.

You can reset Internet Explorer settings to return them to the state they were in when Internet Explorer was first installed on your PC. This can be useful for troubleshooting problems that might be caused by settings changed after installation. Resetting Internet Explorer isn't reversible, and all previous settings are lost after reset.

This tutorial will show you how to reset Internet Explorer back to default for your account in Windows 10.

Note Resetting includes:
    • Disable toolbars and add-ons
    • Default web browser settings
    • Privacy settings
    • Security settings
    • Advanced options
    • Tabbed browsing settings
    • Pop-up settings
    Delete personal settings includes: (optional)
    • Resets home pages
    • Search providers and Accelerators to default settings
    • Deletes temporary Internet files, history, cookies, web form information, ActiveX Filtering data, Tracking Protection data, Do Not Track data, and passwords.

EXAMPLE: Internet Explorer Welcome (reset)

Here's How:

1. Close all Internet Explorer windows.

2. Open the Control Panel (icons view), and click/tap on the Internet Options (inetcpl.cpl) icon.

3. Click/tap on the Advanced tab in Internet Properties, and click/tap on the Reset button. (see screenshot below)

4. Do step 5 or step 6 below for what you want to include when resetting Internet Explorer.

5. Reset Internet Explorer without deleting personal settings
    A) Uncheck the Delete personal settings box, click/tap on Reset, and go to step 7 below. (see screenshot below)

6. Reset Internet Explorer and delete personal settings
    A) Check the Delete personal settings box, click/tap on Reset, and go to step 7 below. (see screenshot below)

7. When finished, click/tap on Close. (see screenshot below)

8. You'll need to restart your computer for these changes to take effect.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

Cliff S, Oct 19, 2015
  2. Smittychat., Oct 19, 2015
  3. Skype Error: Can't start video. Try closing other programs that might be using your webcam

Hi,

Thank you for the reply.

If you are facing this issue in Internet Explorer, then
    reset the Internet Explorer settings to default to check if that helps.

Follow these steps to reset the Internet Explorer settings to default and check the browser status.

1. Press “Windows key + R” to get the run window.

2. Type “inetcpl.cpl” and click ok to get the “Internet Options” window.

3. Click the “Advanced” tab and click “reset”.

Disclaimer: The Reset Internet Explorer Settings feature might reset security settings or privacy settings that you added to the list of Trusted Sites. The Reset Internet Explorer Settings feature might also reset parental
    control settings. We recommend that you note these sites before you use the Reset Internet Explorer Settings feature.

Reply with the status of the issue and we will be glad to offer our assistance.

Srimadhwa B, Oct 19, 2015
  4. Govi59 Win User

Hi Shawn,
    thank you for this. I have also checked out the tricks you gave on Seven forum.
    I know it is possible to hide tabs from Internet Options with registry keys. But is it possible to set the internet options (to check/uncheck boxes, to set values etc.) with cmd / PS / registry ?
    Thank you very much !

Govi59, Jan 15, 2017
  5. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Hello Govi59, *Smile

If you know the registry value for the IE setting, then sure you could use a cmd, PS, or .reg to change the value.

Brink, Jan 15, 2017
  6. Govi59 Win User
    Haha ! My question was rather : which are the commands / registry keys to change ? *chuckle

Govi59, Jan 15, 2017
  7. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Brink, Jan 15, 2017
  8. Govi59 Win User

Sorry again, maybe I'm not clear enough :
    which are the commands (or registry keys) to set the internet options (not to block / remove tabs, but to set values, to check/uncheck boxes etc. !)
    *Huh

Govi59, Jan 15, 2017
  9. Brink
    Brink New Member
    I'm still waking up this morning as well. *Wink

That will depend on the internet options you wanted to set. There are way too many to list here though.

If you have any specific settings, it would be good to create a new thread for those instead.

Brink, Jan 15, 2017
  10. Mauly Win User
    Hi Shawn, my Internet Properties window (above step 3) does not have a Reset Internet Explorer settings area. Mine ends with the Restore button.
    I've tried everything to make ie11 my default browser but it no longer shows up as an option. I can set Chrome, Foxfire, Edge or Opera. If I try to associate extensions (e.g. htm) with iexplorer, the program does not show. Yet I have ie11 installed and it works fine. I've tried disabling ie11 as a windows feature, reboot, re-enable, reboot. Still nothing.
    I'd appreciate any insight.
    Jeff

Mauly, Oct 29, 2017
  11. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Hello Jeff, and welcome to Ten Forums. *Smile

If you're only needing to make IE11 the default program, then you might see if you may be able to use option 7 in the tutorial below to set Internet Explorer as the default program.

*Arrow Choose Default Apps in Windows 10 Apps Features Tutorials

Brink, Oct 29, 2017
  12. Mauly Win User
    Thanx Brink but that's just it, Iexplorer does not appear as a program that can be selected as a default or as a program that can be associated with a file extension. Seems to me this problem started with the Creator's update. Is it possible that MS decided to block ie in an effort to force use of Edge?

Mauly, Oct 29, 2017
  13. Brink
    Brink New Member

Brink, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Reset Internet Explorer to Default in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Reset Internet Explorer

2. how to reset file explorer to default?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    how to reset file explorer to default?: As the picture, the quick access looks different from the default one.I tried reset it to default here but nothing happens https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-reset-file-explorer-to-default/6a24d60a-d50a-4597-a1f9-5ba977ba133b
  3. how to reset file explorer to default?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    how to reset file explorer to default?: As the picture, the quick access looks different from the default one.I tried reset it to default here but nothing happens https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-reset-file-explorer-to-default/6a24d60a-d50a-4597-a1f9-5ba977ba133b
  4. Windows 10: Chrome Is Set To Default, But Internet Explorer Opens Links

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows 10: Chrome Is Set To Default, But Internet Explorer Opens Links: I honestly don't remember how I got to the settings menus I viewed, anymore.I recently had my HP laptop fixed up and have Windows 10 running on it. I turned it on today for the first time, since it was fixed, and installed Chrome. I found in the Settings where to change it to...
  5. Cannot reset Internet Explorer on Windows 10

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Cannot reset Internet Explorer on Windows 10: Hello, everyone I hope someone can help me with the issue I am experiencing on my Windows 10 1902. To my amazement Quicken requires Internet Explorer to be installed on the system. I installed/enabled it through Optional Features. However, when I double-click on...
  6. reset file explorer to original default?

reset file explorer to original default?: My File Explorer is so screwed up I want to start it all anew. I save very few items but cannot find most of what I've saved using the new Edge. I now want ALL 'save as' and 'downloads' to go into Quick Access only, or in necessary in This Pc. I have no need for them to be...
  7. Internet Explorer and Windows 10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Internet Explorer and Windows 10: What version of Internet Explorer should I have on my PC before installing Windows 10? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/internet-explorer-and-windows-10/03fb287c-da9f-49c2-9327-85a8b4b64205
  8. Internet Explorer as default browser

Internet Explorer as default browser: Hey, help me to set Internet Explorer as default browser. I want to switch from Microsoft Edge. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/internet-explorer-as-default-browser/0eab58b2-1e88-4b7f-a9f0-bbbc436fd1d9
  9. No Internet Explorer after reset

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    No Internet Explorer after reset: Ouch. TenForums, thanks to Kyhi, has a recovery disk that you boot from to copy your data. Not sure of circumstances but so you you are aware should this happen again. You could try DISM, tutorial attached. Use DISM to Repair Windows 10 Image Two options, one...
  10. Reset File Explorer Quick Access Toolbar to Default in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Reset File Explorer Quick Access Toolbar to Default in Windows 10: How to: Reset File Explorer Quick Access Toolbar to Default in Windows 10 How to Reset Quick Access Toolbar to Default in Windows 10 File Explorer [img] Information The Quick Access Toolbar (QAT) is a small, customizable toolbar that exposes a set of Commands that are...