Windows 10: Reset Network Data Usage in Windows 10

Discus and support Reset Network Data Usage in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Reset Network Data Usage in Windows 10 How to Reset Network Data Usage in Windows 10 Windows 10 includes a feature to let you view the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by theveterans, Nov 20, 2015.

1. Reset Network Data Usage in Windows 10

How to: Reset Network Data Usage in Windows 10

How to Reset Network Data Usage in Windows 10

Windows 10 includes a feature to let you view the network data usage of the PC from the last 30 days. The data usage is itemized per type of network (ex: Wi-Fi or Ethernet), and by app usage.

Starting with Windows 10 build 18956, network data usage has now been combined to show on the network status page.

This tutorial will show you how to reset network data usage stats back to zero as needed in Windows 10.

*Warning You must be signed in as an administrator to be able to reset network data usage.

CONTENTS:
    • Option One: To Reset Specific Network Data Usage Stats in Settings
    • Option Two: To Reset All Network Data Usage Stats using a BAT file
    • Option Three: To Reset All Network Data Usage Stats in Command Prompt
    • Option Four: To Manually Reset All Network Data Usage Stats

EXAMPLE: Network data usage overview

Reset Network Data Usage in Windows 10 [​IMG]

OPTION ONE [/i] To Reset Specific Network Data Usage Stats in Settings

*note This option in Settings is only available starting with Windows 10 build 16199.
    1. Open Settings, and click/tap on the Network & Internet icon.

2. Click/tap on Data usage on the left side, and either click/tap on a specific network or View usage per app link on the right side.. (see screenshots below)

*note Starting with Windows 10 build 18956, you will need to click/tap on the Status icon on the left side instead, and click/tap on the Data usage button of the network you want on the right side.

3. Select the network (ex: Wi-Fi) that you want to reset data usage for in the Show usage from drop down, and click/tap on the Reset usage stats button. (see screenshot below)

4. Click/tap on Reset to confirm. (see screenshot below)

5. The data usage stats of only the selected network (ex: Wi-Fi) has now been reset. (see screenshot below)

6. If you would like to reset the data usage stats of another network (ex: Ethernet), then you can repeat step 3 above to select to reset it. Otherwise, you can close Settings if you like.

OPTION TWO [/i] To Reset All Network Data Usage Stats using a BAT file
    1. Click/tap on the Download button below to download the .bat file below.
    Reset_network_data_usage_stats.bat

Download

*note This is the contents of the .bat file for reference.

Code:
    2. Save the .bat file to your desktop.

3. Unblock the .bat file.

4. Run the .bat file.

5. When prompted by run as administrator.

6. You will now see a command prompt flash and quickly open and close to reset the network data usage stats.

OPTION THREE [/i] To Reset All Network Data Usage Stats in Command Prompt
    1. Open an elevated command prompt.

2. Copy and paste the commands below one at a time into the elevated command prompt, and press Enter after each command. (see screenshot below)
    net stop DPS

DEL /F /S /Q /A "%windir%\System32\sru\*"

net start DPS
    3. When finished, you can close the elevated command prompt if you like.

OPTION FOUR [/i] To Manually Reset All Network Data Usage Stats
    1. Perform either action below for how you want to not have any network activity. (see screenshot below)
    A) Temporarily disable all of your active network adapter(s), and close anything that accesses the network (ex: web browsers).

OR

B) Start Windows into safe mode without networking.

2. Open File Explorer, browse to the C:\Windows\System32\sru folder, and open it. (see screenshot below step 3)

3. Delete all contents inside the sru folder. Be sure to NOT delete the sru folder. (see screenshot below)

4. Enable you active network adapter(s) again, or start Windows back into normal mode.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

theveterans, Nov 20, 2015
  2. SNBRU Win User
  3. Rey Cam Win User
    Spend Maximum data pack

Hi,

If you are aiming to view and manage the network data usage of your comp[uter covering the last 30 days, please check
    How to Reset Network Data Usage in Windows 10 and find the steps
    provided by ThofikhAhamad.

If you are connected to a limited internet connection and needs to regularly your data usage, you may follow the steps below:

• Click on Network & Internet.
    • Click on Data usage.
    • Click the View usage details link.
    • Click the Reset usage stats button
    Upon completing the above steps your data counters will reset and track network activity will resume.

To control your data usage and avoid extra charges, on a limited Wi-Fi data plan, it is recommended that you set your network adapter as metered. Here is how you do it:

• Click on Network & Internet.
    • Click on Wi-Fi.
    • Under Wi-Fi, click the network connection.
    • Turn on the Set as metered connection toggle switch.

Let us know if the solution provided works for you.

***Note: If you think this was useful, you may "mark it as an answer" to help those who are
    facingthe same
    problem.***

Rey Cam, Nov 20, 2015
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

Reset Network Data Usage in Windows 10

I'm afraid that I haven't been able to find everything that would be in use to make it work in normal mode. *Sad

Brink, Nov 20, 2015
  5. swatitech Win User
    It is soo simple and working method. It completely reset my data usage in Windows 10. *Smile

thanks ten forums *Wink

Try Option 1 for safe mode.

swatitech, Nov 30, 2015
  6. Hi Shawn,

I thing it's related fastboot. When you close/open computer you can not delete this files.
    But when you restart computer you can easily delete in normal mode.

Edit: Sory I'm wrong. Second attempt I can not delete either *Sad
    Strange but sometimes you can delete some times not *Biggrin

Yasak Hayat, Jan 14, 2016
  7. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Yeah, if networking is active, then you usually won't be able to delete it.

Brink, Jan 14, 2016
  8. sfckng Win User

Perfect, thanks!

Now, is there any way to reset the statistics for only one application without installing any other apps? For example, I want to track my Chrome a month, IE a week and so on....

Thanks for response!

sfckng, Jan 17, 2016
  9. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Hello sfckng, and welcome to Ten Forums. *Smile

I'm not aware of a way to reset the network data usage of just one app.

You can view the network data usage of individual apps though, but it will still only show the total usage of each app from the last 30 days.

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/2...dows-10-a.html

Brink, Jan 17, 2016
  10. alapsawy Win User
    yes you can do that.. just disable your network connection from 'device manager" and enable it again after deleting the files

worked for me like charm!
    thank you all

alapsawy, Jan 21, 2016
  11. Ops ! I have attempted to do a reset this month and it seems there had been a windows update or so because it worked previously , however after i applied the method the files were never belt back , data usage is now showing 0 kb usage no matter how many times i restarted or enabled/disabled network .
    any body had that too ?
    any work around ?

nIGHTmAYOR, Jan 29, 2016
  12. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Hello nIGHTmAYOR,

It's still works fine for me. You might see if resetting it again may help.

If you like, you don't need to manually reset data usage every month since it will only show usage from the last 30 days by default.

Brink, Jan 29, 2016
  13. Reset Network Data Usage in Windows 10

the folder contents don't build again , they are now blank , also i can't seem to find a fixit tool in microsoft support . any other suggestions ?

nIGHTmAYOR, Feb 5, 2016
  14. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Brink, Feb 5, 2016
  15. I think i had it figured , i edited the batch file i use to delete the contents of the sru recently with a new loop i acquired from some webpage , the loop manages to delete and recreate the folder as well , so i think the folder lost permissions to the service responsible for maintaining the usage database .

I temporarily solved this by giving permission to that folder for "Everyone" and it worked however that's not a safe setting .

so I suggest brink you leave a remark to never delete the folder itself but the contents .

also if possible would you care to share a snapshot of the users assigned to that folder and their rules for me to revise which users went missing when the folder was deleted ?

nIGHTmAYOR, Feb 7, 2016
Thema:

1. Reset Network Data Usage in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Reset Network Data

2. Massive data usage by "System" in network usage statistics.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Massive data usage by "System" in network usage statistics.: What could be causing this? I have downloaded a few games on Gamepass, but nowhere near 1tb+ They only add up to 150gb. None of the games have updated. I'm currently using a 4g unlimited connection but unfortunately my 4g provider has a FUP fair usage policy and i don't...
  3. Massive data usage by "System" in network usage statistics.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Massive data usage by "System" in network usage statistics.: What could be causing this? I have downloaded a few games on Gamepass, but nowhere near 1tb+ They only add up to 150gb. None of the games have updated. I'm currently using a 4g unlimited connection but unfortunately my 4g provider has a FUP fair usage policy and i don't...
  4. Network Data Usage stuck at 0Mb

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Network Data Usage stuck at 0Mb: Hello, I used to have this problem where the data usage would never count. Now I have it working smoothly through some research and would like to share that information to others as Microsoft hasn't addressed this issue. Some of you may not know that, you can view your...
  5. Cellular network data usage notification

Cellular network data usage notification: I have a large number of windows 10 Enterprise users tho regularly use their mobile/cellular connections. I want all users to receive notifications/warning from Windows 10 when they reach 2 or 4 GB of data usage on the Mobile/Cellular but I cannot find a way to do this with...
  6. Data usage, windows 10.

Data usage, windows 10.: Can you point me to the best fixes to stop Win 10 using so much data, no videos being watched, maybe looking a photos on usedguns, too much, not much else. 45454
  7. Data Usage - How to Reset ?

Data Usage - How to Reset ?: ....... does anybody got an idea how to reset the Data Usage back to 0 ? Any help would be greatly appreciated ....... 14216
  8. Resetting Windows 10 Data usage meter

Resetting Windows 10 Data usage meter: Is there any way to reset the WiFi Data Usage meter each month? 11967
  9. How to reset Data Usage ?

How to reset Data Usage ?: In Settings > Network & Internet > Data Usage : data usage is monitored this day to one month back , this is entirely useless since usually people try to monitor their usage since last bill , windows 8.1 allowed resetting of counter in any specific day so the counter can...
  10. View Network Data Usage Details in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    View Network Data Usage Details in Windows 10: How to: View Network Data Usage Details in Windows 10 How View Network Data Usage Details in Windows 10 This tutorial will show you how to view the Wi-Fi and Ethernet network data usage details of apps from the last 30 days on your Windows 10 PC. Microsoft is making...