Windows 10: Reset Password: How to (and did I ever have one?)

Discus and support Reset Password: How to (and did I ever have one?) in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; I have a Dell Windows 10 Home laptop that I bought new less than one year ago. I don't use a password to log on and now I'm trying to set a... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by ixodid, Jan 21, 2017.

1. ixodid Win User

Reset Password: How to (and did I ever have one?)

I have a Dell Windows 10 Home laptop that I bought new less than one year ago.

I don't use a password to log on and now I'm trying to set a password. All methods I've been able to find instructions for require entering the current password.

If I have a password, I don't know what it is. Is it possible I never set one?

How can I set or reset my password?

Any assistance is appreciated.

:)

ixodid, Jan 21, 2017

2. How to reset password to my email when I don't have access to the phone number on the account

Is it a Microsoft account or a different account provider?

If it is a Microsoft account email then go into
    https://account.microsoft.com

Click on Security & privacy then click on what you need:

Account security
    • Change password
    • See my recent activity
    • More security settings

Jack Cook - aka Help_Line, Jan 21, 2017
  3. How to reset password to my email when I don't have access to the phone number on the account

IM having troubl. Sign in to my account and I can't reset my password because it is linked to my old number HELP!!!!!! PLEASE

janicehandy, Jan 21, 2017
  4. mrgeek Win User

Did you use a Microsoft account to set up the device or go straight to a Local Account ? If the prior, go to your account page and try to reset there. If the latter, did you try just leaving the fields blank ?

mrgeek, Jan 21, 2017
  5. ixodid Win User
    It seems unlikely I would have created a Microsoft account but it would be prudent to make sure before going further.

Do you know how I can tell?

ixodid, Jan 21, 2017
  6. Bree New Member
  7. ixodid Win User
    It's a local account.

When you said did I try leaving the fields blank, I did try that from the Change Password screen via Ctl+Alt+Del by leaving the current password field blank and entering a new password. It did not work.

Where else would I try leaving the fields blank?

ixodid, Jan 21, 2017
  8. Bree New Member

If your local account is an administrator you can create and manage other accounts. You can reset the password for another account without knowing its original password.

Password of User Account - Reset in Windows 10

Why not create a new local account, make it an administrator then sign in to it. From there you can run netplwiz from which you can reset the password of your first account, making it blank if you wish, without being asked for the previous password.

You could delete the 2nd account when you're done, but I find it useful to have a 'spare' administrator account available for emergencies.

Bree, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Reset Password: How to (and did I ever have one?) - Similar Threads - Reset Password did

2. PC has performance issues and stuttering ever since I did a system reset

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    PC has performance issues and stuttering ever since I did a system reset: Hello everyone, so ever since I reset my system everything has been working very poorly. Browers are laggy and oftentimes have visual bugs. Any game I play, even the ones that have a low benchmark stutter and lag with frequent fps drops. Before the reset I was able to play...
  3. How do I get password if forgotten and don't have the password reset

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    How do I get password if forgotten and don't have the password reset: How do I get password if forgotten and don't have the password reset https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-get-password-if-forgotten-and-dont-have/486094e6-28e9-47ef-8dd0-90df9e78dd63
  4. How do I get password if forgotten and don't have the password reset

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I get password if forgotten and don't have the password reset: How do I get password if forgotten and don't have the password reset https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-get-password-if-forgotten-and-dont-have/486094e6-28e9-47ef-8dd0-90df9e78dd63
  5. How do I get password if forgotten and don't have the password reset

6. did i have an initial windows 10 password?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    did i have an initial windows 10 password?: Start-up repair asks me for a password, and gives me the email address for the account. Is it my password for Microsoft or what? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/did-i-have-an-initial-windows-10-password/fcd97402-d876-4e7c-9b0d-c03e2a52faa3
  7. did i have an initial windows 10 password?

did i have an initial windows 10 password?: Start-up repair asks me for a password, and gives me the email address for the account. Is it my password for Microsoft or what? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/did-i-have-an-initial-windows-10-password/fcd97402-d876-4e7c-9b0d-c03e2a52faa3
  8. did i have an initial windows 10 password?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  9. How to reset password If you have NOT created a password reset disk

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to reset password If you have NOT created a password reset disk: Dear Microsoft,A few weeks before, when I logged into my laptop, the method which I use to log in which is the PIN code method had suddenly disappeared. I then tried logging in via my other log in methods but I forgot the password.I am now stuck with 90GB of data less, which...
  10. How to reset password If you have NOT created a password reset disk

How to reset password If you have NOT created a password reset disk: Dear Microsoft,A few weeks before, when I logged into my laptop, the method which I use to log in which is the PIN code method had suddenly disappeared. I then tried logging in via my other log in methods but I forgot the password.I am now stuck with 90GB of data less, which...