Windows 10: Reset Password of User Account in Windows 10

Discus and support Reset Password of User Account in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Reset Password of User Account in Windows 10 How to Reset Password of Local Account or Microsoft Account in Windows 10 If you have a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by Brink, Jul 10, 2017.

1. Brink
    Brink New Member

Reset Password of User Account in Windows 10

How to: Reset Password of User Account in Windows 10

How to Reset Password of Local Account or Microsoft Account in Windows 10

If you have a local account on the PC, then your Windows password is what you use to sign in to your user account in Windows on the PC.

If you have a Microsoft account, then your password is what you use to sign in to online Microsoft services and Windows on PCs and devices that you use the same Microsoft account on.

You can help keep your PC or device more secure by changing your password regularly and by using a strong password. If you forget or lose your password, there are several things you can try to remove it.

Reference:
    This tutorial will show you different ways to reset the password of your or any local account and Microsoft account in Windows 10 and online.

If your PC is on a domain, your system administrator must reset your password.

If you had set Windows to automatically sign in to a local account at startup that you just changed, reset or remove the password of, then you will need to set Windows to automatically sign in to the local account at startup again to update it with the new password.

A Microsoft account password can only contain up to 16 characters.

picture password sign-in options for all Microsoft accounts on the sign-in screen and in Accounts > Sign-in options > Settings.

Contents
    • Option One: To Reset Password of your Local Account at Sign-in with Password Reset Disk
    • Option Two: To Reset Password of any Local Account in Netplwiz
    • Option Three: To Reset Password of your Microsoft Account Online at Microsoft
    • Option Four: To Reset Password of your Microsoft Account at Sign-in
    • Option Five: To Reset Password of your Local Account at Sign-in

OPTION ONE [/i] To Reset Password of your Local Account at Sign-in with Password Reset Disk
    If you created a password reset disk for your local account and forgot your password anytime afterwards, then you can use the password reset disk to create a new password for your local account.

You can only use a password reset disk for the local account that it was previously created for.

1 Click/tap on OK after entering an incorrect password for your local account on the sign-in screen. (see screenshot below)

Reset Password of User Account in Windows 10 [​IMG]

2 Connect the USB flash drive that is your password reset disk.

3 Click/tap on Reset password. (see screenshot below)

4 Click/tap on Next. (see screenshot below)

5 Select the USB flash drive that you connected in step 2 above, and click/tap on Next. (see screenshot below)

6 Type in a new password and password hint, and click/tap on Next. You can leave the password fields empty if you wanted to remove your password. (see screenshot below)

7 Click/tap on Finish. (see screenshot below)

OPTION TWO [/i] To Reset Password of any Local Account in Netplwiz
    You must be signed in as an enable the built-in Administrator account to sign in and use to reset the password of the other account.

This option should only be used if the local user has forgotten his or her password, and does not have a password reset disk.

For security reasons, Windows protects certain information by making it impossible to access if the user's password is reset. When an administrator changes the password of another user's local account on the PC, that local account will lose all EFS-encrypted files, personal certificates, and stored passwords for Web sites or network resources.

1 Type netplwiz in the search box in the Start menu or on the taskbar, and press Enter.

2 If prompted by UAC, click/tap on Yes.

3 Check the Users must enter a user name and password to use this computer box, select a local account (ex: Brink_2), and click/tap on Reset Password. (see screenshot below)

4 Type in a new password, and click/tap on OK. You can leave the password fields empty if you wanted to remove the password. (see screenshot below)

5 If you had set Windows to automatically sign in to a user account at startup, then you will need to set this again.

6 When finished, you can close netplwiz if you like.

OPTION THREE [/i] To Reset Password of your Microsoft Account Online at Microsoft
    1 Go to the Microsoft account password reset website.

2 Enter your Microsoft account email address, phone number or Skype name if not already, and click/tap on Next. (see screenshots below)

3 If you don't want to use the Microsoft Authenticator app (Windows 10 Mobile, Android, iOS), click/tap on the Use a different verification option link. (see screenshot below)

4 Select (dot) how you would like to get your security code to verify your identity, enter the required information, and click/tap on Get code. (see screenshot below)

5 Enter your security code sent using the method you selected above, and click/tap on Next. (see screenshot below)

6 If you have two-step verification turned on for your Microsoft account, you will need to select (dot) a second way to get your security code to verify your identity again, enter the required information, and click/tap on Get code. (see screenshots below)

A) Enter your security code sent using the method you selected above, and click/tap on Next. (see screenshot below)

7 Type in a new password, reenter the new password, and click/tap on Next. (see screenshot below)

8 Your Microsoft account has now been recovered and reset with the new password. You can now Sign in to your Microsoft account on your devices with the new password. (see screenshot below)

OPTION FOUR [/i] To Reset Password of your Microsoft Account at Sign-in
    This option is only available starting with Windows 10 build 16237.

You must be connected to the Internet to be able to do this option.

Starting with Windows 10 build 18305, Microsoft has revamped the Windows Hello PIN reset experience with the same look and feel as signing in on the web.

1 Click/tap on the I forgot my password link for your Microsoft account while on the sign-in screen. (see screenshot below)

2 You will now see the screen below for Just a moment. (see screenshot below)

3 Enter the characters you see, and click/tap on Next. (see screenshot below)

4 Select how you would like to get your security code, enter the required information, and click/tap on Send code. (see screenshot below)

5 Enter the code you received from Microsoft, and click/tap on Next. (see screenshot below)

6 If you have two-step verification turned on for your Microsoft account, you will need to select how you would like to get a security code one more time. Enter the required information, and click/tap on Send code. (see screenshot below)

A) Enter the code you received from Microsoft, and click/tap on Next. (see screenshot below)

7 Enter a new password you want for your Microsoft account, and click/tap on Next.

Passwords for a Microsoft account must have at least 8 characters and contain at least two of the following: uppercase letters, lowercase letters, numbers, and symbols.

You must create a password that you haven't used before. To help protect your account, you need to create a new password every time you reset or change it.

8 Your Microsoft account password has now been reset and changed. Click/tap on Next. (see screenshot below)

9 You can now sign in to Windows 10 and your devices with your Microsoft account using the new password. (see screenshot below)

OPTION FIVE [/i] To Reset Password of your Local Account at Sign-in
    This option is only available starting with Windows 10 build 17063.

If you already have a installing a new PC using a local account, setup will walk you through adding these questions and answers right there in the workflow. Once your security questions are set up, if you find yourself unable to remember your password on the sign-in screen, you will see a link to reset your password, whereupon clicking you’ll be prompted to enter the answers to your security questions.

1 While on the sign-in screen for your local account, enter an incorrect password, and press Enter or click/tap on the arrow. (see screenshot below)

2 Click/tap on OK. (see screenshot below)

3 Click/tap on the Reset password link. (see screenshot below)

4 Type the answers to your security questions, and press Enter or click/tap on the arrow. (see screenshot below)

5 Enter a new password you want for your local account, and press Enter or click/tap on the arrow. (see screenshot below)

6 Your password will now be reset, and you will now be signed in to Windows 10.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

Brink, Jul 10, 2017
  2. BulldogXX Win User

How do I reset the password for my PC login screen

I found lots of good information with this web search: windows
    10 reset user account password

BulldogXX, Jul 10, 2017
  3. Sumit Dhiman2, Jul 10, 2017
  4. lx07 Win User

Actually I noticed this depends the location you pick when you create your account.

MS accounts ending in .com (i.e. US) are more restrictive in terms of password complexity than .ae or .hu where you can pick any old password you want. Not sure if it an oversight on their part or some character set issue.

5. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Interesting. Thank you. *Smile

Brink, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Reset Password of User Account in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Reset Password User

2. Unable to reset windows login password for User account

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Unable to reset windows login password for User account: Hi, * This is a windows 10 PC * worked perfectly & installed the latest updates * after installed & restart the PC, that asking user Microsoft account authentication. Sign-in option > password = that method user used normal password * User created Microsoft account long...
  3. Reset Admin password on a standard user account??

Reset Admin password on a standard user account??: I bought a refurbished computer for my employer. It had a ADMIN account set up with no pass word associated with the account so I created one. I might have had a error in my pass word because I can no longer log into that account. I did create another account that I was...
  4. Unable to reset windows 10 user password

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Unable to reset windows 10 user password: I am not locked out of windows. I log in using the PIN number but have no idea what the password is for the username. Windows 10 version 1909 The windows 10 reset password option provided on screen requires a usb recovery, I don't have that. Maybe I did years ago but only...
  5. user password reset

user password reset: Please help. My mother passed away a while ago and we can't unlock her laptop, we don't have the password and have tried everything possible but no luck, how can I disable the password or reset it to startup normally? it's urgent, we need important information and docs she...
  6. reset standard user account forgotten password

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    reset standard user account forgotten password: Hello signed on the computer as admin, how can i reset a standard user account forgotten password https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/reset-standard-user-account-forgotten-password/e2b24ec6-07fe-4ec1-b8b8-06165aff6936"
  7. reset account with forgotten passwords and user names

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    reset account with forgotten passwords and user names: how can I recver loast passwords and e-mails on the e-mail addresses? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/reset-account-with-forgotten-passwords-and-user/f1b0ca57-e640-4aa2-b2ec-7ef16c1f9d2d"
  8. how to reset windows 19 user accounts password

how to reset windows 19 user accounts password: how to reset windows 19 user accounts password https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-reset-windows-19-user-accounts-password/5515d8a2-4c39-4bfd-87a7-7b604461e9a3
  9. User Account Password Reset

User Account Password Reset: I forgot my user account password on my laptop (I am the admin), and was just wondering how I can reset it or log in to change it using a free method and without resetting windows....
  10. Windows 10 user account password

Windows 10 user account password: I seem to have set up my Windows 10 PC with a different password from that of my Microsoft account. My children recently discovered the user account that I use, this is the administrator on the PC so I wanted to change it. When I did this I was asked for the old password but...