Windows 10: Reset PC and storage/external drives query

Discus and support Reset PC and storage/external drives query in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I was wondering if anyone could advise me. I'm needing to reinstall Windows, and I figured I may as well use the reset feature. Would I need to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by abibee, Nov 18, 2016.

1. abibee Win User

Reset PC and storage/external drives query

I was wondering if anyone could advise me. I'm needing to reinstall Windows, and I figured I may as well use the reset feature. Would I need to disconnect my external drives and internal storage drive first, to isolate the SSD/C:? Or is it clever enough to leave the storage drives alone, and only wipe/reset the SSD?

I'd rather not have to haul everything out and open my PC up if it's not necessary, the thought scares me. *Smile

:)

abibee, Nov 18, 2016
  2. Louie Del Win User

How do i make an external drive an internal one?

Hi,

If you ran out storage, we usually used an external hard drive as an extended storage to save more files and can be used for backup purposes. In line with the updates that you’re getting in Windows, these are stored in the hard drive that’s
    built-in to your PC. The system files that are associated with the updates are designed to be saved on the
    C: drive and gets stored there automatically.

Regarding your query about making an external drive, it’s not possible for it to be set as an internal drive. An external hard drive is best to be used in backing up computers or serve as a network drive. For possible options in upgrading or extending the
    storage capacity of the SSD installed on your device, we suggest that you contact its
    manufacturer.

We’re just here if you need further help.

Louie Del, Nov 18, 2016
  3. candun Win User
    File History is On?

Thank you for replying to my 'File History: files not backed up for a while' query?

On my present and previous laptop PC, I have a external hard drive a Seagate External Desktop Storage SCSI 2TB

Which I use to store files, folders from the PC, physically, electronically attached to the current, and past laptop PCs. By way of a USB cable, and is logged in the PC's 'My PC: Devices and Drives'?

I back up my PC files, folders by 'manually' transferring copies of them to the external hard drive: storage?

By way of 'cut and paste' with no problem, occasionally do a System Image Back Up with the little problems?

If this is a 'fact' how can the PC 'File History' pop ups messages, say that it is not 'attached':

The photo, audio, document files, folders on the external hard drive, is in NFTS format?

A way around it is to remove the 'tick' in the PC Control Panel: File History-Back Up box, go with 'manual' up dating?

candun, Nov 18, 2016
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

First - a clean install using a Windows 10 installation flash drive or DVD is much more reliable than the built in Windows 10 reset.

Second, in order to answer you question we need to see a good screenshot of disk management, with all the columns expanded to see all the info in them:
    Disk Management - How to Post a Screenshot of - Windows 10 Forums

NavyLCDR, Nov 18, 2016
  5. abibee Win User
    Ok thanks, I'll post tomorrow, it's too late at night to figure out all the drive labels! I have 2 internal, 3 including the SSD, and 3 external, and all but C: are partitioned too. Bit of a mess.

abibee, Nov 18, 2016
  6. abibee Win User
    C: is the internal SSD, (Disk 1)H: to L: first internal storage drive (Disk 2)E: to G: second internal storage drive (Disk 0) M: is external (Disk 3)N: to P: are second external (Disk 4)Q: + R: are third external (Disk 5)

Is this necessary if using the reset feature, rather than a clean install?

Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet

abibee, Nov 18, 2016
  7. NavyLCDR New Member
    I would remove the active flag from H: drive. The reason we say to disconnect all other drives when installing/resetting Windows is so you are certain the boot files will be written to the same drive the Windows is going to be on. With the H: drive partition set as active, that is an indication that is where the computer is supposed to boot from in legacy (BIOS) mode. Remove the active flag and you should be fine because you only have 1 EFI system partition shown among all the drives.

NavyLCDR, Nov 19, 2016
  8. abibee Win User

Ok thanks, I think I follow.

I think I'll not be lazy, and I'll disconnect all but the ssd to do an install. So much faffing around though, but what can one do. *Smile

abibee, Nov 19, 2016
  9. Berton Win User
    I've not had a problem in disconnecting all my External USB HDDs [3] before doing updates and Upgrades, doesn't take long to unplug either the USB cable or the power adapter. I did get a change when I changed to/set up a new computer and one drive got a different letter that it had on the 6-yr. old computer but they are only storage drives, no installed programs on them.

Berton, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Reset PC and storage/external drives query - Similar Threads - Reset storage external

2. Storage Pool Queries- removal of hard drives

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Storage Pool Queries- removal of hard drives: Hi, Due to qty4x5bay Orico external devices, plus qty 6 single bay external drives, I will not have enough Drive Letters available from Windows 11. I am now looking at Storage Spaces, however there seems to be no easy way to remove/stop using a 5bay device as a storage space...
  3. Storage Pool Queries- removal of hard drives

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Storage Pool Queries- removal of hard drives: Hi, Due to qty4x5bay Orico external devices, plus qty 6 single bay external drives, I will not have enough Drive Letters available from Windows 11. I am now looking at Storage Spaces, however there seems to be no easy way to remove/stop using a 5bay device as a storage pool...
  4. Windows reset Query

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows reset Query: I am having problems with my defender from past 2-3 months. Security Intelligence Updates fail to install and Defender shows Engine Unavailable. So I'm doing a Windows Reset and just wanted to know that after reset will Windows Defender work properly?Expecting a quick...
  5. Query about allocating fixed Drive Letters to External Disk Drives

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Query about allocating fixed Drive Letters to External Disk Drives: I have a few External Disk Drives and I have allocated fixed drive letters to each of them. Unfortunately, a few of them failed, or were given away, etc., and I am left in a bit of a messy state where I keep allocating the next alphabetical letter to any new drives, while...
  6. Query about allocating fixed Drive Letters to External Disk Drives

in Windows 10 Support
    Query about allocating fixed Drive Letters to External Disk Drives: I have a few External Disk Drives and I have allocated fixed drive letters to each of them. Unfortunately, a few of them failed, or were given away, etc., and I am left in a bit of a messy state where I keep allocating the next alphabetical letter to any new drives, while...
  7. QUERY IN RESETTING MY PC

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    QUERY IN RESETTING MY PC: I have bought my PC with included Microsoft office home and student 2019 which includes Microsoft office, Word, Powerpoint, Exel, OneNote All of these has one statement "Product Activated" which were pre installed in my device, my PC is running very slow, memory consumption...
  8. Query related to resetting credentials for network drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Query related to resetting credentials for network drive: I am using WIN10. network hard computer NHD1 sees in the networks network hard computer NHD2 but upon the initial network computer credential log in I typed the wrong password and had checked to auto log. So I get the error can't access NHD 2. I know the NHD 2 is properly...
  9. storage Query

storage Query: Hope someone can help. I have an Asus tablet with 29gb of memory. when trying to update to latest version of Windows10, I am told that I have used 28.1gb of memory I Have nothing on my hard drive I have removed everything. So I connected my external hard drive with 1tb of...
  10. External hard drive storage lost

External hard drive storage lost: Hello! My name is donald and i need your help like seriously... I tried to format my HD of 1TB that was in exfat to NTFS but it didn’t achieve and i couldn’t have access to it no more, i tried to check on ease partition what was going on and i saw my HD when unallocated and...