Windows 10: reset pc vs clean install win10

Discus and support reset pc vs clean install win10 in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; The reason I'm asking is because clicking the update and security in the windows settings brings up a page with different options where there is one... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by pc mess up, Dec 6, 2016.

1. reset pc vs clean install win10

The reason I'm asking is because clicking the update and security in the windows settings brings up a page with different options where there is one for recovery. Clicking that recovery option opens another page with 3 options on the right - reset this pc; advanced start-up; and more recovery options.

The first option Reset this PC has 2 options where you can choose to keep your files and settings or remove everything.

The third option More recovery options where you can start afresh with a clean install of windows (this takes you to a Microsoft page where you download a tool to do the clean install.

I'm wondering what is the difference between the reset this pc with removing everything and the Microsoft tool which does a clean install of Windows.

This is for Windows 10.

:)

pc mess up, Dec 6, 2016
  2. diddumsk Win User

windows 10 is a piece of junk! and they take away all your apps including office!!!

What is your opinion regarding performance of a system following WIN10 upgrade vs "clean install."

diddumsk, Dec 6, 2016
  3. Clean Install: Media Creation Tool vs Reset This PC

The ISO of Windows 10 is universal, it has both home and pro editions. The edition is selected home/pro according to the key in the BIOS. If the PC didn't had an OEM license, You would be prompted to install Edition.

Sumit Dhiman2, Dec 6, 2016
  4. reset pc vs clean install win10

Reset PC: Will reinstall windows using the same Recovery image which was created when windows 10 was installed first time of computer. fixes most of the common OS issue and doesn't require internet connection to work

Clean Install :- Here you are downloading latest windows installation files from Microsoft, Burning them on a USB and using them to reinstall windows.

In Both scenarios you will loss all the programs installed on computer.

manish9009, Dec 7, 2016
  5. mrgeek Win User
    Reset PC: Will reinstall windows using the same Recovery image which was created when windows 10 was installed first time of computer. fixes most of the common OS issue and doesn't require internet connection to work

You are confusing Reset and Recover. Reset will install the last known working copy of Windows 10 incl cum updates, etc from an esd or wim image. It will uninstall all orig mfr apps and bloatware that came with the computer. If he wants the computer restored to Day One when he bought it (only recommended if it came with Win10 or PC is not working), that is a Recovery which is usually stored on a separate partition and available thru a mfr recovery program, install DVD's or usb copy. Windows Update will need to be run afterwards.

The clean install option in 10 Anniv at the page bottom, is basically an in place Repair and is covered in this tutorial -
    https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/5...tml#post778516

A true clean install would involve wiping your HD and booting and installing from ext usb or media or selecting the option in the Reset described on this MS page -
    https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...6-033d1d8c16bf

Here's good youtube vid on Reset vs Clean install too -

mrgeek, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

reset pc vs clean install win10

1. reset pc vs clean install win10 - Similar Threads - reset clean install

2. Impossible to Reset PC/Clean Install

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Impossible to Reset PC/Clean Install: I am going through every method to get the data off this computer so I can send it back for a refund but nothing is working. I am very frustrated. I have tried going through the reset options in settings and every time it says it was not able to so after trying that a couple...
  3. Manual Clean vs Resetting PC?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Manual Clean vs Resetting PC?: Hello. So, I have a Dell Windows 10 (AMD a6) laptop which I've had ever since 2015. Despite all the junk on it (drawing programs, games, recording software, editing software, you name it) it still runs fairly well. That is, fairly well all things considered. I can have...
  4. CLEAN RESET Vs QUICK RESET??

CLEAN RESET Vs QUICK RESET??: MY Windows suddenly started behaving weird and so I went on to reset it. But there are 2 options Clean Reset Vs Quick Reset. I know that Clean reset is more secure and i also don't want to restore my data in future. So is there any need to opt for it. I mean will there be...
  5. CLEAN RESET Vs QUICK RESET??

CLEAN RESET Vs QUICK RESET??: MY Windows suddenly started behaving weird and so I went on to reset it. But there are 2 options Clean Reset Vs Quick Reset. I know that Clean reset is more secure and i also don't want to restore my data in future. So is there any need to opt for it. I mean will there be...
  6. Reset this PC - Remove everything vs clean install

Reset this PC - Remove everything vs clean install: Hi, can someone explain me the differences between the "Reset this PC - Remove everything" function and a Windows 10 clean install? Thanks. submitted by /u/espositodnl86 [link] [comments]...
  7. Difference between clean install with media creation tool vs. "Reset this PC" in Settings

Difference between clean install with media creation tool vs. "Reset this PC" in Settings: Hi all – What's the difference between doing a clean install with the media creation tool vs. choosing "Reset this PC" in the Recovery settings? How-To Geek describes a clean install using the media creation tool. CNET describes a clean install as going into Settings -->...
  8. Windows 10 Fresh Start vs Reset vs Refresh vs Clean install

in Windows 10 News
    Windows 10 Fresh Start vs Reset vs Refresh vs Clean install: [ATTACH] [ATTACH]Windows 10 Advanced Recovery option offers recovery solutions which can help you bring back Windows 10 to a working condition. These are extreme solutions when nothing else can be done. That said, before one uses one of these solutions, its [...] This post...
  9. Reset vs Clean Install?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Reset vs Clean Install?: I just upgraded my notebook from 8.1. Win 10 is activated. I did the upgrade by creating an ISO using MCT, expanding the files to a USB hdd, then running Setup. I would now like to do a clean reinstall. Since I do not have bootable external media for the notebook, I'm...
  10. Upgrade vs Clean Install

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Upgrade vs Clean Install: The fix for many problems seems to be a Clean Install but this is defeating part of the test process. When 10 is released, I would bet 90% of the people who switch will do an upgrade because that is what they are being offered. Few will know what a Clean Install is, much less...