Windows 10: Reset repair - now loss of activation

Discus and support Reset repair - now loss of activation in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Any ideas chaps. Have just had to do a 'reset' on a windows 10 Home laptop. Originally, this laptop (owned by a neighbour) was supplied with Windows... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by Skofab, Mar 16, 2017.

1. Skofab Win User

Reset repair - now loss of activation

Any ideas chaps. Have just had to do a 'reset' on a windows 10 Home laptop.

Originally, this laptop (owned by a neighbour) was supplied with Windows 7 home. At the opportune time it was updated to windows 10.

Following a problem when the neighbour found it would not start etc - we did a reset (saving his private files). This got him on the road again - however could not change the desktop. Eventually it became apparent that the cause was that the laptop had not activated following repair. Is this normal? and is there a way to get around this problem.

I feel a little annoyed that the official Microsoft reset has caused this problem

:)

Skofab, Mar 16, 2017

2. loss of activation code

Not sure, but the two places I would suggest you try are :

1) The shop where you bought your phone from

2) Nokia themselves - you can find their contact details here :

http://www.nokia.com/A4126575

Hope this helps.

TheChosenOne22, Mar 16, 2017
  3. loss of activation code

i just scrached the activation code of the mucic of n 73 but i lost the code because if inproper material used by nokia... how can i get the code back?

mits1432005, Mar 16, 2017
  4. cereberus Win User

First we need to check a couple of things.

Run
    slmgr /dlv
    from an admin command prompt and post image (no confidential data).

Also, do you still have the W7 home COA key (usually on blue sticker). If so, try entering that key in the activation menu (change product key).

cereberus, Mar 16, 2017
  5. Skofab Win User
    Hi cereberus
    thanks for your response - much appreciated. Herewith further developments....

No, did not have the product key/license numbers - but had a brainwave and installed Belarc which provided the product key number.

Imputed this number that received an instant thumbs down.
    Obtained new product key - which also got rejected.
    I should have noticed in the first place that an error code was showing, this being 0xc0000022.

I have googled this to find an answer, and note all these 'fix this problem' downloads. Obviously there is an unknown cost element to consider. Is this a wise route to follow,OR, is there a simple way (for the likes of me) to do a workaround?
    Your thoughts very much appreciated

Skofab, Mar 16, 2017
  6. Skofab Win User
    Further progress and information.........
    ran sfc /scannow that confirmed there were problems - some of which could not be sorted.

I then ran the Relevant DISM - this failed and reported an error code of 87.

Have I reached the point were I download a windows 10 iso installation file and use my new (unused) product key?

Skofab, Mar 16, 2017
  7. NavyLCDR New Member
    I'm curious why you didn't provide the troubleshooting info @cereberus asked for in his reply? slmgr /dlv

That is truly the first step we needed to provide accurate advice.

This is the result we are looking for:

Reset repair - now loss of activation [​IMG]

NavyLCDR, Mar 16, 2017
  8. Skofab Win User

Fair comment navyLCDR - I overlooked this request.

Have tried as directed, but got the following screen info

Windows Scrip Host

error 080070426 On a computer running microsoft non core edition, run 'slui.exe 0x80070426' to display error text.

This I tried, but on pressing enter, the script reverted back to the system32

Please accept that I have just a little knowledge, hence some hesitancy in my response.
    Thanks people for your continuing support - much appreciated

Skofab, Mar 16, 2017
  9. NavyLCDR New Member
    @Skofab,

It does sound like the underlying Windows 10 system is corrupted beyond repair and if it were I, I would go for a clean install. I would highly recommend you run showkey plus from this forum:

ShowKeyPlus

If the Windows 10 came from an upgrade from Windows 7, showkey should retrieve the old Windows 7 product key and you might be able to use that to activate a new install of Windows 10. During the Windows 10 install, click on the link for "I don't have a product key" when it asks for the product key. Then make sure to install the same version of Windows 10 that matches the Windows 7 product key. Then after it is installed you can go to the activation screen and change product key to the Windows 7 Product Key.

Also, doing it this way, if the previous upgrade was indeed successful and activated and saved a digital license, when you skip entering the product key you might get lucky and get the automatic activation if you install the same version of Windows 10.

You can also look at the activation troubleshooter here:
    Activation troubleshooting

Personally, though, I wouldn't waste any more time trying to troubleshoot this install and just go for a clean install (after saving all the user's data to a storage location that will not be affected by a clean install).

NavyLCDR, Mar 16, 2017
  10. Skofab Win User
    I am somewhat baffled*chuckle
    I downloaded a iso disk - elected to delete everything and did the install. All went well, and laptop is now doing what it should.
    The mystery is that it activated itself.

Anyway, I am grateful for the help received Gents.This was a 'nasty one' - and indicates the merits of not doing your next door neighbour a favour - particularly when we all know he is a self confessed fiddler with his laptop and downloads all sorts of crap that promises him computing paradise !!!!!!

I do hate to be beaten, and always try to the nth degree to resolve an interesting 'problem' - in this case it ended up being a no brainer to do the easy thing.

Thanks again

Skofab, Mar 17, 2017
  11. simrick Win User
    That's because once a system has had W10 installed and activated on it, you can reinstall as often as you like/need, and it will activate. The activation is tied to the system and resides on the MS servers.

simrick, Mar 17, 2017
  12. Skofab Win User
    Thanks simrick for that information. I did not have a clue that was how it worked.
    I learn something every day*chuckle

Skofab, Mar 17, 2017
  13. simrick Win User

Cheers! *Thumbs

simrick, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Reset repair - now loss of activation - Similar Threads - Reset repair loss

2. Windows reset and loss of personal documents..

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows reset and loss of personal documents..: Reinstalling Windows anew early this month, My DOCUMENT folder's subfolders vanished, including many Excel files etc, although I had chosen to keep my documents and folders before reistalling Windows.. Can I get them back please?...
  3. Windows reset and loss of personal documents..

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows reset and loss of personal documents..: Reinstalling Windows anew early this month, My DOCUMENT folder's subfolders vanished, including many Excel files etc, although I had chosen to keep my documents and folders before reistalling Windows.. Can I get them back please?...
  4. I loss my activation after Windows 10 reset

I loss my activation after Windows 10 reset: Hi, i just reset my Windows and now i loss my activation anyone can help me ?im getting this message on "Activation""We can't active Windows on this device because the product key was already used on another device. If you think it wasn't used on another device, select...
  5. I loss my activation after Windows 10 reset

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    I loss my activation after Windows 10 reset: Hi, i just reset my Windows and now i loss my activation anyone can help me ?im getting this message on "Activation""We can't active Windows on this device because the product key was already used on another device. If you think it wasn't used on another device, select...
  6. I loss my activation after Windows 10 reset

in Windows 10 Gaming
  7. Drive C: We found errors on this drive. To prevent data loss, repair this drive now.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Drive C: We found errors on this drive. To prevent data loss, repair this drive now.: Hey, I have this weird thing about my Drive C: as you can see from the image below. This has been going on for a while now, probably more than a month. Back in July my HDD kinda got corrupted long story short, a game called Genshin Impact made the system to blue screen and...
  8. Drive C: We found errors on this drive. To prevent data loss, repair this drive now.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Drive C: We found errors on this drive. To prevent data loss, repair this drive now.: Hey, I have this weird thing about my Drive C: as you can see from the image below. This has been going on for a while now, probably more than a month. Back in July my HDD kinda got corrupted long story short, a game called Genshin Impact made the system to blue screen and...
  9. Drive C: We found errors on this drive. To prevent data loss, repair this drive now.

10. Resetting Windows and the loss of it.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Resetting Windows and the loss of it.: Alright, another stupid and easy to answer question of mine. So I wanna reset Windows because I think its infected, my network is really weird and a bunch of other things. I have almost everything like files, apps, and you name it on a HDD that I use to not fill up my C...