Windows 10: Reset Security Key to Factory Defaults in Windows 10

Discus and support Reset Security Key to Factory Defaults in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Reset Security Key to Factory Defaults in Windows 10 How to Reset Security Key to Factory Defaults in Windows 10 A security key (ex:... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by Starhowl, Oct 24, 2017.

1. Starhowl Win User

Reset Security Key to Factory Defaults in Windows 10

How to: Reset Security Key to Factory Defaults in Windows 10

How to Reset Security Key to Factory Defaults in Windows 10

A security key (ex: YubiKey) is a physical device that you can use instead of your user name and password to sign in. Since its used in addition to a fingerprint or PIN, even if someone has your security key, they wont be able to sign in without the PIN or fingerprint that you create. Security keys are usually available for purchase from retailers that sell computer accessories.

There are different types of security keys that you can use, like a USB key that you plug in to your device or an NFC key that you tap on an NFC reader. Make sure to familiarize yourself with the type of security key you have by reading the instruction manual from the manufacturer.

Starting with set up a security key straight from Settings that you can log you into applications.

When you changed or reset if needed.

When you reset a security key, the security key will be reset to factory default settings. All data, credentials, and PIN on the key will be cleared.

This tutorial will show you how to reset your security key to factory default settings in Windows 10 to clear all data and credentials on the security key.

CONTENTS:
    • Option One: Reset Security Key to Factory Defaults in Windows 10 Settings
    • Option Two: Reset Security Key to Factory Defaults with YubiKey Manager

OPTION ONE [/i] Reset Security Key to Factory Defaults in Windows 10 Settings
    1. Open Settings, and click/tap on the Accounts icon.

2. Click/tap on Sign-in options on the left side, and click/tap on Security Key under Manage how you sign in to your device on the right side. (see screenshot below)

Reset Security Key to Factory Defaults in Windows 10 [​IMG]

3. Click/tap on the Manage button. (see screenshot below)

4. Insert your security key (ex: YubiKey) into the USB port. (see screenshot below)

5. Touch either the button or gold disk on your blinking security key. (see screenshot below)

6. Click/tap on the Reset button under Reset Security Key. (see screenshot below)

7. Click/tap on Proceed to confirm. (see screenshot below)

8. Touch either the button or gold disk on your blinking security key. (see screenshot below)

9. Windows 10 wasn't able to reset my YubiKey 5 NFC security key, but maybe you will have better luck with your security key. (see screenshot below)

10. You can now close Settings if you like.

OPTION TWO [/i] Reset Security Key to Factory Defaults with YubiKey Manager

*note This option will only work with a YubiKey security key.
    1. If you haven't already, you will need to download and install YubiKey Manager.

2. Open the YubiKey Manager app.

3. Insert your YubiKey into the port (ex: USB) on your PC. (see screenshot below)

4. Click/tap on Applications on the toolbar, and click/tap on FIDO2. (see screenshot below)

5. Click/tap on the Reset button under FIDO Reset. (see screenshot below)

6. Click/tap on Reset. (see screenshot below)

7. Click/tap on Yes to confirm. (see screenshot below)

8. Remove and re-insert your YubiKey. (see screenshot below)

9. Touch either the button or gold disk on your blinking YubiKey. (see screenshot below)

10. Click/tap on OK. (see screenshot below)

11. You can now close YubiKey Manager if you like. (see screenshot below)

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

Starhowl, Oct 24, 2017
  2. IggSter Win User

How to factory reset Cisco 1700 Router

Hopefully I can help you here....its a very common thing to happen.

First, I take it you dont know the passwords for console access or telnet/ssh?

I will assume that these devices belong to you.

step 1. Plug a cisco console cable into a serial port on your pc
    step 2. Plug other end into Cisco console port
    step 3. Using hyperterm or putty or similar connect to the serial port
    step 4. boot router, and make sure you clearly can see the output (this confirms you have good serial comms)
    step 5. if this fails, adjust the comm port settings (9600, 8,1,n are the default)
    step 6. now you have to do the only hard part...send the break command:

Break command list: Break Commands

Go down the list and match your OS and SW and try the sequence suggested.

If this fails several times do what I do: Install putty (free) and then to send a break so you can get into rommom just hit "ctrl-a b".

IggSter, Oct 27, 2019
  3. Ahhzz Win User
    Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Oct 27, 2019
  4. AndreePin Win User

Windows 10 factory reset

Hi Charlie,

We can see here that you are having issues with doing a factory reset on your Windows 10. There are several factors
    why you get the said error and that's what we are going to figure out. To isolate this concern, may we know the following:

• Any changes made on the computer prior to this concern?
    • What troubleshooting steps have you tried so far?
    • May we know the reason why you want to perform a factory reset?
    • Did you experience any issues on the computer before you tried performing a factory reset?

AndreePin, Oct 27, 2019
  5. SURFACE PRO 3 RESET TO FACTORY DEFAULTS PROBLEM

The camera caused a system freeze every time it was activated so I thought why not restore.

• I attempted to reset my Surface Pro 3 to Factory defaults.
    • The Surface Pro made it to 1% then crashed.
    • Now it is in a reboot loop.

I have tried several times and now it gives an "Unable to reset your PC. A required drive partition is missing" error.

Do you have any suggestions on how to make it work again?

ScottPlatt1, Oct 27, 2019
  6. windows 10 key

Thanks but I don't want to do any decrypting. I want to download a Win 10 ISO from Microsoft and install it using my Win 8 key. No other steps required. Is that possible?

Easy Rhino, Oct 27, 2019
Thema:

1. Reset Security Key to Factory Defaults in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Reset Security Key

2. PC is not booting after I reset my secure boot keys to factory default.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    PC is not booting after I reset my secure boot keys to factory default.: Recently I upgraded to Windows 11 from Windows 10 directly from the OS itself, and that seems to be causing some issues for me. Windows 11 was not showing my GPU so I reverted to windows 10. Then one day my computer was not booting. So I removed the CMOS battery and checked...
  3. PC is not booting after I reset my secure boot keys to factory default.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    PC is not booting after I reset my secure boot keys to factory default.: Recently I upgraded to Windows 11 from Windows 10 directly from the OS itself, and that seems to be causing some issues for me. Windows 11 was not showing my GPU so I reverted to windows 10. Then one day my computer was not booting. So I removed the CMOS battery and checked...
  4. PC is not booting after I reset my secure boot keys to factory default.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. Help with factory reset and windows key.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Help with factory reset and windows key.: So I have a windows 10 laptop that I bought from a shop in my city, 1 day, the activate windows watermark randomly appeared, I was wondering if I can factory reset my PC despite not having a key or whatever its called. I'm not that good with electronics when it comes to such...
  6. Can’t reset Windows to factory defaults

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Can’t reset Windows to factory defaults: Hello, I bought a Lenovo Thinkbook 14s Yoga ITL with Windows 10, and when I received it, it had been already turned on by the seller to install modifications. I was aware that something like this might happen. Whoever logged into the laptop to install the modifications...
  7. Windows 10 resetting to factory default - frozen

Windows 10 resetting to factory default - frozen: Hello, i had to reset my computer back to factory default due to it previously being my work computer and now im using it for personal use. I have done everything correctly, it said it cleaned up my computer 100%, and now its frozen, it just shows the Dell logo on my screen....
  8. how to reset computer to factory defaults

how to reset computer to factory defaults: I inherited my sister's computer. I would like to start fresh and reset to factory defaults. How do I do this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-reset-computer-to-factory-defaults/ce82e6cc-8d6b-4fee-b70e-0f6107db0aee
  9. Resetting computer to factory defaults with Windows 10

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Resetting computer to factory defaults with Windows 10: My computer came with no disks. It is so slow and wont let me do what I need to do and I want to reset it. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-performance/resetting-computer-to-factory-defaults-with/97b156be-ae08-4bf4-a744-a3cd0ec43e93
  10. Reset Xbox One to Factory Defaults

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Reset Xbox One to Factory Defaults: How to: Reset Xbox One to Factory Defaults How to Reset Xbox One to Factory Defaults [img] Information There may be times when you may need to completely erase and restore your Xbox One, such as when you sell it or give it to a friend. There may also be times when you...