Windows 10: Reset Start Layout in Windows 10

Discus and support Reset Start Layout in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Reset Start Layout in Windows 10 How to Reset Start Menu Layout to Default in Windows 10 The layout of your Start menu includes how you... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by Brink, Jun 21, 2016.

1. Brink
    Brink New Member

Reset Start Layout in Windows 10

How to: Reset Start Layout in Windows 10

How to Reset Start Menu Layout to Default in Windows 10

The layout of your Start menu includes how you Live Folders.

Sometimes you may no longer be able to "Pin to Start" or "Unpin from Start", and/or the Start menu may become corrupted and will no longer display or work properly. When this happens, resetting the Start layout back to default can usually fix this.

This tutorial will show you how to reset the Start screen layout back to default for your account in Windows 10.

EXAMPLE: Default Start menu layout in Windows 10

Reset Start Layout in Windows 10 [​IMG]

Here's How:

1 Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below.

The downloadble .reg file below will delete the registry key below.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\CloudStore\Store\Cache\DefaultAccount

Reset_Start_layout_to_default.reg

Download
    2 Save the .reg file to your desktop.

3 Double click/tap on the downloaded .reg file to merge it.

4 When prompted, click/tap on Run, Yes (UAC), Yes, and OK to approve the merge.

5 sign in to apply.

6 You can now delete the downloaded .reg file if you like.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

Brink, Jun 21, 2016
  2. RoyalMmk Win User

can't change start menu setting, layout and pin/unpin

Hi,

I have problem with start menu, setting and layout can not be changed (I could change them, but the setting won't effect and layout will be reset every time)

exactly when i want to make a new group of apps in start menu it crashes and the layout and setting resets or when i change the start setting, settings resets and no changes appear

before this problem some icons named "p~microsoft.windows.content....." appeared in start menu and i tried to remove them but i couldn't , after i restarted the windows the problem accorded

is there any way to fix this ?

Windows 10 Enterprise (latest update) and fresh install

RoyalMmk, Jun 21, 2016
  3. Andre Da Costa, Jun 21, 2016
  4. Reset Start Layout in Windows 10

Thanks Brink! I will work through this tutorial tomorrow when I go to fix my mom's Desktop PC's Start Menu.

Jesse Williams, Jun 22, 2016
  5. Brink
    Brink New Member
    You're most welcome Jesse. Please let us know how it went. *Smile

Brink, Jun 22, 2016
  6. Brink (Shawn)... It worked like a charm. However, I did have to uninstall and reinstall some apps though that I had hidden from the Start Menu that weren't showing up any previews for the Tiles. Anyway, it is all fixed now and now I know how to fix it. Thanks again!

Jesse Williams, Jun 22, 2016
  7. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Great news Jesse. *Party

Brink, Jun 22, 2016
  8. shimshom Win User

Saw this on the MDL site and haven't yet tested it but if someone wishes to try here it is and you might need to restart the computer a number of times to rebuild it according to the post

Copy & Paste the following in a textfile and save as "Tilegone.cmd", run as Admin:
    Code:
    @net.exe session >nul 2>&1
    @if ErrorLevel 1 (echo "Run as Administrator" & pause && exit)

sc stop tiledatamodelsvc
    move /y %USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local\TileDataLayer %USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local\OLD_TileDataLayer

shimshom, Sep 5, 2016
  9. Thanks for this Brink.
    I had a phantom shortcut in the all apps start menu that I couldn't remove after many attempts of different types and this fix work like a charm.
    I should have came here in the first place, as it would have saved me a lot of aggravation. *Smile

GreyThorne, Sep 8, 2016
  10. Brink
    Brink New Member
    I'm glad it could help GreyThorne. *Smile

Brink, Sep 8, 2016
  11. glnz Win User
    Brink - do your steps continue to work in the latest Win 10 (after Anniversary and all current updates)?
    Also, will I lose, for example, Start menu links to my recently installed Office 365 Home?
    Finally, do these steps change only Start or also other things, like toolbars or what shows at the bottom?
    Thanks again.

12. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Hello glnz, *Smile

This will only affect items on the Start screen. This would include items pinned to Start and tiles. It won't affect any links in the Start menu on the left side.

Brink, Nov 5, 2016
  13. glnz Win User

Great - thank you Brink !!

14. Brink
    Brink New Member
    You're most welcome. *Smile

Brink, Nov 5, 2016
  15. ikawuf Win User
    The tutorial is amazing, it works, thanks. However, it doesn't only reset the Start Menu, but also the UWP Apps installed from Windows Store. It does pretty scary when I run UWP Apps, but there's nothing on my Taskbar, Task View, and Alt + Tab.

ikawuf, Mar 12, 2017
Thema:

1. Reset Start Layout in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Reset Start Layout

2. Start menu layout

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Start menu layout: Hey guys!I recently installed Windows 11 on my computer with a fresh install. I've had it on my secondary computer since beta. On my new install I have no option under personalization for start menu layout. Is this only in the beta builds currently or should it be in the main...
  3. Start Tile Layout

in Windows 10 Customization
    Start Tile Layout: This is about start menu customization that is on a "Golden Image" and pushed out to Horizon virtual desktops. Hopefully this is the best forum for it! When building my images I have always used powershell Export-StartLayout and Import-StartLayout in order to provide a custom...
  4. New Windows 10 start menu layout

New Windows 10 start menu layout: Hey, is there anyway I can get Windows Insider canary builds or at least builds that still haven't gotten into the fast ring yet without working at Microsoft? I know about the Skip-ahead ring but that is discontinued hopefully just for now so Skip-ahead isn't an option. Edit:...
  5. Start Layout -

in Windows 10 Support
    Start Layout -: I was wondering if there was a way to have a default start layout but also allow the users to make changes? 148546
  6. Windows 10 Start Menu Layout

Windows 10 Start Menu Layout: So I'm trying to update my users' start layouts using Group Policy Management. All computers are running Windows 10 v1903. When we first got the computers, I deployed a custom image through MDT to do all of the setup, including the start menu layout and taskbar layout and...
  7. windows start menu layout

windows start menu layout: Somehow I changed to the icon tiles on the start menu. I want the classic menu list instead. Now I can't change it. What do I do? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-start-menu-layout/f2ea93ee-57c8-4a20-a6e7-af7a6108f6ab
  8. Resetting start page menu layout to default in Win 10.

Resetting start page menu layout to default in Win 10.: Hi.....somehow I lost my original start page menu layout. I can access everything as before, but the layout is different and I have to click on more buttons etc. Is there a way I can get the original layout without doing a computer restore and having to 'customize' things...
  9. Backup and Restore Start Layout in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Backup and Restore Start Layout in Windows 10: How to: Backup and Restore Start Layout in Windows 10 How to Backup and Restore Start Menu Layout in Windows 10 The Live Folders. This can be handy if you do not want to have to setup your Start menu layout from scratch again. Say after a clean install of Windows 10....
  10. How to reset the Start menu to default settings/layout?

in Windows 10 Support
    How to reset the Start menu to default settings/layout?: Hello, I somehow managed to add shortcut to my Start menu leading nowhere and it messed up the whole thing. It closes itself nearly instantly and any interaction causes explorer.exe to crash. So is there a folder with *.lnk files, or xml with the Start menu...