Windows 10: Reset Surface Pro 4 Software / now have errors

Discus and support Reset Surface Pro 4 Software / now have errors in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I was having problems connecting to my work account so I tried to do a fresh install by using the "Reset" option. After entering my Bit Locker Recovery... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by epete, Jul 31, 2017.

1. epete Win User

Reset Surface Pro 4 Software / now have errors

I was having problems connecting to my work account so I tried to do a fresh install by using the "Reset" option. After entering my Bit Locker Recovery key it seemed to do what I was looking for. However there were some failures in the Windows update. You would think Windows 10 would play well with their own Surface Pro 4 hardware.

I noticed the Windows Hello feature stopped working. In fact under Accounts, Sign-in options it says "Windows Hello isn't available on this device. It was before I reset the software. I checked the camera app and both front and rear cameras are working.

So with the windows update failures and Windows Hello not working, I am wondering what else wont work.

When I click check for updates it says I am up to date even though it lists the failures under the update history.

Any ideas what my next steps should be?

:)

epete, Jul 31, 2017

2. surface pro 4 reset error

Hi Paul,

I realize the inconvenience you are experiencing with Windows 10. I will certainly help you.

This issue might occur if some system files is corrupt.

I suggest you to perform startup repair of the Computer and check if it helps.

First, I would suggest you to download the ISO file of Windows 10 from below Microsoft Help Article and create a Media Installation Disk.

Then try to perform the below methods and check if it helps.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-in/software-download/home

Boot the Computer with the Windows Installation Media:

1. Start (or boot) your computer from the installation media. Insert the DVD or USB flash drive and restart your computer.

2. If you see a message asking you to “Press any key to boot from DVD,” do so.

3. When you see the Install Windows page, tap or click on Repair your computer
    to start the Windows Recovery Mode.

4. In the Windows Recovery Environment, on the Choose an option screen, tap or click on
    Troubleshoot.

5. Click on Advanced Options.

6. Then on click on Startup Repair.

Please get back to us with an update on Windows 10, we will be happy to help.

Thank you.

Nyima Yonten, Jul 31, 2017
  3. surface pro 4 reset error

I did a reset on my surface pro 4 and get the following message;

The computer restarted unexpectedly or encountered and unexpected error. Windows installation cannot proceed. To Install windows click "OK" to restart the computer and then restart the installation.

I click ok and the same message keeps coming back

Paul f Gray, Jul 31, 2017
  4. EdTittel Win User

Hmmm ... interesting ... Here are some things to try:
    1. Open an administrative PowerShell or Command Prompt Window
    2. Run the system file checker: sfc /scannow
    3. If it completes successfully, try using the Windows Update Minitool (MajorGeeks download link) to run Windows Update. It will often succeed when WU fails on its own.
    4. If SFC fails, try running DISM next (see this tutorial: Use DISM to Repair Windows 10 Image Windows 10 Performance Maintenance Tutorials )
    5. Grab the new Surface Pro 4 diagnostics and run them. This may help with your Windows Hello problem. Check for and install relevant Surface firmware and driver updates
    6. MS offers dedicated Surface support, including all Surface Pro models. Check it out at Browse topics for Surface Pro, where you can consult the Answer Desk online, or make an in-store appointment at your nearest Microsoft store.
    HTH,
    --Ed--

EdTittel, Jul 31, 2017
  5. epete Win User
    Thanks. I have already started a second effort to reset the Surface and not preserve any personal files. (Personal files are all stored elsewhere anyway) I suspect the same thing will happen. When it does, I will give your suggestions a try. By the way, after a reset, is there any way for me to keep my original PC name. My MS Office listed the original pc name as one of the 5 installs on my license. I didn't want to use up 2 licences on one PC.

epete, Jul 31, 2017
  6. EdTittel Win User
    You can go into your Microsoft account, and delete obsolete installs from the tracked licenses it maintains under that account name. No need to consume a physical license for an obsolete or unused OS install. On the devices tab, you can identify installs by computer name, then under More actions click on "Remove ..." to free that license back up by going through various confirmation and clean-up maneuvers, as prompted by the resulting Web pages that appear.
    HTH,
    --Ed--

EdTittel, Jul 31, 2017
  7. mech11 Win User
    I am having these same symptoms, it all worked fine this morning and then I received windows update KB4025342 and Windows hello stopped working saying "Couldn't turn on the camera. Please sign in with your PIN. And when i look at Sign-in options it says "Windows Hello is preventing some options from being shown", and below that under Windows Hello it says "windows hello isn't available on this device" (Surface pro 4).
    After running SFC/scannow I have tried removing the update (which in windows update it showed an error but under installed updated it showed good) and tested and still got the error, so then I reinstalled the update and still no luck. Next I tried to install the driver and update pack from Microsoft's site and it errors out saying "This device is not a surface pro" I just bought it a couple weeks ago and i is definitely a surface pro.
    I realize I am still in my support period but I'm hoping to find a solution without going through that hassle.

mech11, Jul 31, 2017
  8. Reset Surface Pro 4 Software / now have errors

IMO, check your drivers if they're up to date. You need to get the firmware also updated before you install those Windows updates

theveterans, Jul 31, 2017
  9. epete Win User
    I used http://www.DriverSupport,com to validate I had all of the latest drivers when the Windows Hello was not working. Unfortunately my second attempt to reset the PC did not launch the capacitive display so I need to find a USB keyboard and mouse and will need to switch between the two using the single port. Ugh.

epete, Jul 31, 2017
  10. epete Win User
    After a third Reset, I have finally gotten my Surface Pro 4 running with no errors listed in Windows update history and the Windows Hello properly working.

Each time I chose to blow away user data. This third time I selected to log in with my business account instead of personal account.

I have no idea what went wrong the first two times but this third Reset proves that the latest Win10 Ver 1703 OS Build 15063.483 has all of the correct drivers and support for the Surface Pro 4.

epete, Jul 31, 2017
  11. epete Win User
    I noticed in Windows Defender Security Center, there is a "Fresh Start" option that supposedly preserves personal files but does a fresh install of Windows. Out of curiosity, I am wondering what the difference is between this and the Reset function that I used. I am not trying to resolve any issues anymore but just interested in more info.

epete, Aug 2, 2017
  12. EdTittel Win User
    AFAIK, fresh start is like a repair install/upgrade: replaces OS files, registry, and settings, but leaves apps and applications installed. Reset returns the PC to its factory fresh state with no user accounts defined nor apps or applications installed. Read the MS support links provided for the official company position on these capabilities.
    HTH,
    --Ed--

EdTittel, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Reset Surface Pro 4 Software / now have errors - Similar Threads - Reset Surface Pro

2. Surface pro 4 won’t reset

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Surface pro 4 won’t reset: Hi, I have problems getting my surface to work. I have reported this in this thread https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-files/windows-explorer-keeps-resetting/7e71b114-5f14-4025-8913-e70db50d8fea?messageId=27c843b2-de86-49a8-bf1d-5ff5bf5be683 In...
  3. Surface pro 4

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Surface pro 4: Will not allow use of mouse and it is showing red as usual. Restart and shutdown were done. Also can't delete numerous emails using shift. Help please. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/surface-pro-4/7672285a-3b80-40cd-951b-38b76f76bc2e
  4. Surface Pro 4

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Surface Pro 4: I have an issue where when I switch on my Surface Pro 4 it boots are far as the screen saver and shows at the bottom that it is in Flight Mode only, no wifi etc. It also states the camera not available and requests sign in with pin which it will not accept or my password will...
  5. Surface Pro 4

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Surface Pro 4: System and Firmware Update. 115195
  6. Surface Pro 4

Surface Pro 4: Updates available Surface Pro 4. 57858
  7. Surface Pro 4

Surface Pro 4: Quite a large system update available today. 47842
  8. Surface Pro 4

Surface Pro 4: System Update just released.. 56499
  9. Surface Pro 4

in Windows 10 Support
    Surface Pro 4: Anyone else think it will run cooler than the Surface Pro 3? Anyone experienced this? 28169
  10. Surface Pro 4

in Windows 10 Support
    Surface Pro 4: So when am I going to be able to get a nice fanless SP4 machine to match this nice Windows 10 build! My SP3 is great, but starting to feel slightly tired (keyboard is looking very worn out) and fan always spins. Time for a refresh soon once SP4 comes out! 8304