Windows 10: Reset vs fresh Reinstall from Media

Discus and support Reset vs fresh Reinstall from Media in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi, What is the difference of doing a reset vs. wiping all partitions and reinstalling from media? Assume it's the reset that does not preserve user... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by leegold, May 1, 2017.

1. leegold Win User

Reset vs fresh Reinstall from Media

Hi,

What is the difference of doing a reset vs. wiping all partitions and reinstalling from media? Assume it's the reset that does not preserve user files. Of course the user has backed-up important files.

Is there a difference in action, or qualifiers to the answer to question posed above if the user upgrade from 7 to 10 vs. the had 10 from the start?

It seems to me that a PC performs "better" after wiping everything and doing a fresh install from media (after adding missing drivers etc...), but maybe I'm imagining it. And reset can sometimes freeze-up(?)

When would you do one vs. the other?

Thanks.

:)

leegold, May 1, 2017

2. Does clean Install of windows 10 via media creation tool remove all files and malware?

* Merged

* Original title: Reinstall windows 10 vs factory reset

Hey guys, I just wanted to ask what the difference is between reinstalling windows via the media creation tool and the reset option in settings, I've been told that the reinstall will 100 percent get rid of the malware I have (RAT) is this true?

AjaySakthivel1, May 1, 2017
  3. Windows 10

Try this tool to reset your computer to a fresh and clean "like new" setup (removing all files). This tool lets you create a boot-up CD or USB stick, then boot from that to fresh install Windows.
    Windows 10 Media Creation Tool - microsoft.com

Windows 10 herunterladen
    Download Windows 10 here if you need to create installation media to reinstall your system.

Shawn 'Cmdr' Keene [MVP], May 1, 2017
  4. FerchogtX Win User

I've tested both methods... honestly, I don't see any difference, refresh actually reinstalls windows, and you can even wipe partitions or not...
    A good thing from MS I must say, unless the instalation gets completely corrupted, refreshing is such a time saver...

FerchogtX, May 1, 2017
  5. NavyLCDR New Member
    Quite a few people have posted on here about resets failing to complete and having to do a clean install to fix it, so I have never bothered doing a reset.

NavyLCDR, May 1, 2017
  6. Ztruker Win User
    I've done several resets, saving nothing, and they worked but I ended up doing a Clean Install on both after awhile. Don't remember why but something must not have been working right.

Ztruker, May 5, 2017
  7. Stevekir Win User
    An alternative could be to restore from a Macrium image. If the offending Windows installation is working, albeit faulty, running Macrium will offer a choice of images (dates) which you have made, to restore from. If Windows will not run, using a Macrium Rescue disk will run Macrium and also give access to the choice of images (above).

Unless the date of the latest Macrium image is very recent, as soon after restoring the Macrium image, Microsoft will detect that you need an update of Windows and it will be installed.

Stevekir, May 5, 2017
  8. Reset vs fresh Reinstall from Media

My favorite is an in place upgrade repair if you have a DVD or other install media of the build. It basically reinstalls Windows and you lose no programs.

Josey Wales, May 5, 2017
  9. sn00ker Win User
    I could be wrong but this is what I believe . I would assume when one does a reset it just format the drive, formatting a drive does not erase all the data on the drive. Were by if one does a fresh install meaning deleting the drive and reformatting it should wipe all the data .

sn00ker, May 5, 2017
  10. SoFine409 Win User
    Hi sn00ker. Formatting a drive erases everything on the drive.

SoFine409, May 5, 2017
  11. Nothing that consumers have erases every piece of data. As posted I prefer the in place update repair method. When I use Macrium Reflect to restore a backup, it wipes the drive then restores the backup.

Josey Wales, May 6, 2017
  12. DooGie Win User
    My preferred method unless I need to do a completely clean install.

DooGie, May 6, 2017
  13. NavyLCDR New Member

Well... Technically it only erases the partition being formatted. You really don't format physical drives, you partition physical drives, then format the partitions.

NavyLCDR, May 6, 2017
  14. Technically you are correct but my drive only has one partition so I do format the drive. *Biggrin*Smile

Josey Wales, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Reset vs fresh Reinstall from Media - Similar Threads - Reset fresh Reinstall

2. Fresh Install from USB media failing

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Fresh Install from USB media failing: My computer failed to boot into Windows following a regular shut down, and I decided to do a clean install of Windows.I made a new installation media on a USB drive, formatted both my hard drive and the SSD I use as my boot drive, and attempted to install windows. However, no...
  3. Fresh Install from USB media failing

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Fresh Install from USB media failing: My computer failed to boot into Windows following a regular shut down, and I decided to do a clean install of Windows.I made a new installation media on a USB drive, formatted both my hard drive and the SSD I use as my boot drive, and attempted to install windows. However, no...
  4. fresh start vs. reset pc

in Windows 10 Gaming
    fresh start vs. reset pc: What is the difference between a fresh start and resetting the PC? My PC has Windows 11 installed, is freezing too much for the last few days and disturbing my regular workflow. Should I reset the PC or give it a fresh start? Every related info is appreciated....
  5. fresh start vs. reset pc

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    fresh start vs. reset pc: What is the difference between a fresh start and resetting the PC? My PC has Windows 11 installed, is freezing too much for the last few days and disturbing my regular workflow. Should I reset the PC or give it a fresh start? Every related info is appreciated....
  6. Reset vs Fresh Start

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Reset vs Fresh Start: What is the difference between reset and fresh start? I know both have the option to keep personal files. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/reset-vs-fresh-start/1bf783a2-19b7-48eb-a9a8-f0f693171dcc
  7. Reset PC vs Media Creation Tool

Reset PC vs Media Creation Tool: I want to re-install my Windows and I found out (from this youtube video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=icpf9K36fpA) that you can actually use Reset PC option in the Windows Settings, my question is, what is better (cleaner), is it the same? 159538
  8. Reset PC vs Media Creation Tool

in Windows 10 Support
    Reset PC vs Media Creation Tool: I want to re-install my Windows and I found out (from this youtube video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=icpf9K36fpA) that you can actually use Reset PC option in the Windows Settings, my question is, what is better (cleaner), is it the same? 159538
  9. Windows 10 Fresh Start vs Reset vs Refresh vs Clean install

in Windows 10 News
    Windows 10 Fresh Start vs Reset vs Refresh vs Clean install: [ATTACH] [ATTACH]Windows 10 Advanced Recovery option offers recovery solutions which can help you bring back Windows 10 to a working condition. These are extreme solutions when nothing else can be done. That said, before one uses one of these solutions, its [...] This post...
  10. Fresh Install vs Update

Fresh Install vs Update: You can do that without clean install, look up in tutorials. I did that despite changing almost whole computer. Old one was on legacy BIOS and new one on UEFI BIOS and M.2SSD. As for clean installs, only once (last spring update), before that thru numerous Insider builds, it...