Windows 10: Reset Windows 10 and keep old files separate

Discus and support Reset Windows 10 and keep old files separate in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi, I'm trying to reset Windows 10 right now, and I want to keep my old files. From what I understand this leaves the files exactly where they are... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by fribbels, Sep 10, 2016.

1. fribbels Win User

Reset Windows 10 and keep old files separate

Hi, I'm trying to reset Windows 10 right now, and I want to keep my old files. From what I understand this leaves the files exactly where they are right now. Is there a way to reset and keep them all in a separate folder like the Windows.old folder when upgrading to 10? Thanks in advance.

:)

fribbels, Sep 10, 2016
  2. graye Win User

Will File History keep my files from my old computer forever or I must restore them all to the new one?

Actually, they will keep these separate... The new File History will not be using the same folder as the old File History. So, those files (from the old File History) will not "age".

So, yes... those files (from the old File History) will stay there forever...

This happened to me... I reloaded Win10 on the C:\ drive, and then later began to use the D:\ again for File History. Then I noticed that it started putting the new history in a separate folder.

graye, Sep 10, 2016
  3. How to use Windows 7 "Windows Photo Viewer" program to download photos from camera in Windows 10

I have upgraded my pc to Windows 10, with its new Photo app. This app is not as useful as the old "Photo Viewer" in custom separating groups of photos and labeling them during download. I have reset the defaults so that jpeg files open in Photo Viewer,
    but when I download jpeg photos from my camera the new Photo app keeps taking over. Anyone know how I can make the old photo viewer app the "download" default app?

drwarchitect, Sep 10, 2016
  4. dalchina New Member

Not that I know of. But if you always keep a full backup, preferably on a physically separate medium for more than the short term, that should do what you want.

Windows File History, e.g. allows you to maintain current file backups.

Disk imaging (strongly recommended here) protects your whole PC allowing you to recover without technical help from
    - ransomware
    - hard disk failure or corruption
    - user error
    - the unexpected
    - unbootable pc

(hardware problems aside)
    and provides a full backup.

Good backup procedures are the best way to secure your data.

There are other recovery procedures besides resetting your PC. For example, an in-place upgrade repair gives you a new copy of Windows and keeps all your programs and data.

dalchina, Sep 10, 2016
  5. AndreTen Win User
    Hi fribbels!

Are you talking about system and data files or just data files?
    If you want to keep both (system and user data) @dalchina gave you instructions.

If you just want to keep user data (i.e. documents, pictures etc. in your user folders), then you can move location of your files to another partition or drive and when resetting Windows, just point to those location again.

There are some nice tutorials here, and similar threads.

AndreTen, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Reset Windows 10 and keep old files separate - Similar Threads - Reset keep old

2. Windows 10 Reset Keeping My Files Option

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 Reset Keeping My Files Option: Hi there, i'm hoping someone can help. My Lenovo ideapad3 has gone to blue screen and I am unable to restart Windows. Not sure what happened but i think something to do with trying to upgrade to Windows 11. I called Lenovo support and they told me i have to reset the laptop...
  3. Windows 10 Reset Keeping My Files Option

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10 Reset Keeping My Files Option: Hi there, i'm hoping someone can help. My Lenovo ideapad3 has gone to blue screen and I am unable to restart Windows. Not sure what happened but i think something to do with trying to upgrade to Windows 11. I called Lenovo support and they told me i have to reset the laptop...
  4. Windows 10 Reset Keeping My Files Option

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Windows 11 keeps old files in Windows.old after full reset

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 keeps old files in Windows.old after full reset: I am going to sell the PC to others. I did a full reset of my Windows 11 PC with cleanup of the drive checked. I assume doing this will delete all of my files permanently. Then I activated the new reset Windows 11 with my Microsoft account. I can see that all of my previous...
  6. Windows 11 keeps old files in Windows.old after full reset

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 keeps old files in Windows.old after full reset: I am going to sell the PC to others. I did a full reset of my Windows 11 PC with cleanup of the drive checked. I assume doing this will delete all of my files permanently. Then I activated the new reset Windows 11 with my Microsoft account. I can see that all of my previous...
  7. Windows 10 Reset Keeping personal files Feature

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 Reset Keeping personal files Feature: I recently resetted my laptop due to update problem. I selected to keep personal files but after the laptop opened, there was no single file there. The files were very important. Please help.......
  8. Windows 10 File Explorer filters keep resetting

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows 10 File Explorer filters keep resetting: I use the filters in File Explorer quite heavily for some purposes e.g. filtering by date range or type. In recent years, this has become very frustrating because the filters keep 'resetting'. This typically happens when I navigate away to another application or another...
  9. Windows Reset Keeping Files

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows Reset Keeping Files: My computer has not been booting properly. After trying hard reset to no avail the hp self diagnose process kicked in. First I tried to restart iir get it to fix start-up automatically. But it did not work. I am now going through windows reset. The resetting got stuck and...
  10. Windows Search and keeping Accounts separate

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Windows Search and keeping Accounts separate: Hi, Id like to set Windows 10 up so that the personal files of one account are not accessible from the other accounts (at least not without the passcode), either by navigating to the relevant folder in windows explorer (ie going to the relevant hard drive, the users folder...