Windows 10: Reset Windows 10 - lost Documents, Downloads folders

Discus and support Reset Windows 10 - lost Documents, Downloads folders in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; I recently reset my Windows 10 (latest update) PC and selected Keep My Files. When the reset had finished my Documents and Downloads folders were gone.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by ontodva, Mar 17, 2017.

1. ontodva Win User

Reset Windows 10 - lost Documents, Downloads folders

I recently reset my Windows 10 (latest update) PC and selected Keep My Files. When the reset had finished my Documents and Downloads folders were gone. Is this behavior by design? Would the Reset procedure have moved them to some backup location?

:)

ontodva, Mar 17, 2017
  2. Rasti_915 Win User

I'm keeping loosing my documents

I have Windows 10 Home edition. Recently I found out that some documents disappeared from my Downloads folder (pictures and video). I used Recuva and EaseUs Data recovery programs to successfully recover my lost documents and scanned my PC with an antivirus.
    It found Win32:BrowseFox-AAD but after scanning it was blocked. Yesterday it happened again. I lost my documents from Downloads folder and also all documents from one folder on my desktop (Word documents). What is wrong? How can I prevent loosing my documents?

Rasti_915, Mar 17, 2017
  3. After I upgrade to Windows 10 will my current Documents, Videos, Pictures & Music will be erased or it will be the same in Windows 10?

<original title: MY OLD STUFF>

After I upgrade to Windows 10 will my current Documents, Videos, Pictures & Music will be erased or it will be the same in Windows 10?

And the desktop icons and Downloads folder, will they be erased or lost?

ThurithaDivulwewa, Mar 17, 2017
  4. dalchina New Member

dalchina, Mar 17, 2017
  5. sml156 Win User
    Although I have never had the problem you are having a couple things come to mind.

If you remember the file name's you could try to search for them in the windows.old folder.

Did you change the file location of your Documents folder to another drive or partition, If I remember correctly when I reset Windows it reset the folders to their default location on my C: drive.

sml156, Mar 17, 2017
  6. ontodva Win User
    I am logged into the same account. There is no Windows.Old folder - I think I deleted it, woops. The documents and downloads folders were in the default locations and had never been moved.

If you are definitely supposed to keep the same documents and downloads folders with the same content after a reset, that is good. If I have to reset again I think I would move documents and downloads elsewhere in the tree just for reassurance.

ontodva, Mar 18, 2017
  7. Berton Win User
    It'd be best, rather than move, to copy anything you don't want to lose or that exists nowhere else to either an External USB HDD or a USB Thumb/Flash drive. Also possible to copy groups of files to DVD-/+R discs up to just under 4.2GB or just under 8GB for the DVD+R/DL [Dual Layer] discs. Then there's the 25GB Blu-Ray discs if one has the drive for them.

Berton, Mar 18, 2017
  8. dalchina New Member

With original upgrades to Win 10 and to build 1511 if I recall there were quite a lot of posts about lost document folders.
    Here's just one.
    Documents deleted after update
    If you search for more such threads, you may find an idea that helps. I recall one problem was of being logged in with a temporary profile.

The key to using a PC is always always to back up. Back up before and after a major upgrade or update. There are always risks. Some people find their PC's become unbootable.

This is why we constantly and strenuously recommend the routine use of disk imaging e.g. Macrium Reflect (free).

This can even help you recover your PC if your disk fails completely (you have to buy a new disk of course!) - or transfer your data and programs to a new PC (program transfer requires another program as well).

This gives you a recovery path likely not to need technical help.

dalchina, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Reset Windows 10 - lost Documents, Downloads folders - Similar Threads - Reset lost Documents

2. Lost documents folder for a user

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Lost documents folder for a user: I had unstalled miniconda and noticed my documents folder is gone with all the python notebooks! how do I recover them? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/lost-documents-folder-for-a-user/fa926e37-d687-44b4-974f-09f8870995c3
  3. Lost documents folder for a user

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Lost documents folder for a user: I had unstalled miniconda and noticed my documents folder is gone with all the python notebooks! how do I recover them? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/lost-documents-folder-for-a-user/fa926e37-d687-44b4-974f-09f8870995c3
  4. Lost documents folder for a user

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. Recover lost folders and documents

Recover lost folders and documents: My son upgrade my laptop from Windows 8.1 I think this was the previous version to Windows 10 and did not save any of my documents and file folders. Is there a way to recover these documents and personal folders?...
  6. Recover lost folders and documents

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Recover lost folders and documents: My son upgrade my laptop from Windows 8.1 I think this was the previous version to Windows 10 and did not save any of my documents and file folders. Is there a way to recover these documents and personal folders?...
  7. Recover lost folders and documents

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. Lost Document Folder

Lost Document Folder: I have inserted a new SSD to my desktop with a Windows 10. Before that, I have an HDD 500Gb also Win10 that I used for almost 10 years. So, it has my files, precious photos, videos, and more.... Now, while I'm organizing the default location of...
  9. Lost documents folder contents

Lost documents folder contents: Hi, after an automatic Windows 10 update all my documents vanished from the Documents folder - I now believe this was because a temporary profile was set up. Unfortunately I found my documents and returned them to the "new" documents folder. After re-booting, the temporary...
  10. Lost My Documents Folder

in Windows 10 Support
    Lost My Documents Folder: Hi, Please be gentle as new to this; *Sick I have Windows 10 with all updates. Noticed that One Drive h as not been 'working' since late 2018, or that was the date of the latest document. Tried to get this organised but with my arthritic hands I somehow dropped My...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. if you reser your computer will you loose all my pictures yes or no for windows 10