Windows 10: Reset Windows for new user

Discus and support Reset Windows for new user in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I want to reset my Windows and clear the drive. I plan to sell the PC and want to reset it for someone. But when it resets it makes you set up a user... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by mallen, Aug 6, 2017.

1. mallen Win User

Reset Windows for new user

I want to reset my Windows and clear the drive. I plan to sell the PC and want to reset it for someone. But when it resets it makes you set up a user account. Is there a step in the process on the reset/reinstall I could shut down and the user could pick up later and choose their account details and finish the install?

:)

mallen, Aug 6, 2017

2. New user account factory reset

Hi Andre Da Costa,

Thank you for the feedback. I was more looking for how to add an account that set to factory settings while also having my original account?

JJ007_044 and JJ007IR., Aug 6, 2017
  3. New user account factory reset

Hi

is there a way to set factory settings for a new user account? I have my original account but I wanted to make another one without the same files and apps?

JJ007_044 and JJ007IR., Aug 6, 2017
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

Hello Mallen, *Smile

Luckily, that's exactly what you could do.

(at step 15)
    *Arrow Clean Install Windows 10 Windows 10 Installation Upgrade Tutorials

Reset Windows for new user [​IMG]
    Tip If you would like to set up this PC to have an OOBE (Out-of-box Experience) so another user/owner can pick up at this point to finish setting up Windows on the PC with their own account and preferences the next time the PC it turned on, then:
    • Press SHIFT + F10 when you see the screenshot below to open a command prompt.
    • Type C:\Windows\System32\shutdown -s -t 0 -f into the command prompt, and press Enter to shut down Windows.

Brink, Aug 6, 2017
  5. Bree New Member
    Alternatively, set up a generic local account in the name of Owner and with no password. I have bought used PCs from a chain of pawnbrokers in the past. Their standard practice is to clean the machine and do just that before offering it for sale. The new owner is then free to create a new account in the name of their choice. It also means you could demo the machine to prospective purchasers.

Bree, Aug 6, 2017
  6. mallen Win User
    When a reset it done it leaves a fold called windows old. If I reset it twice is it leaving any files or is an old folder from the first time I reset it?

mallen, Aug 6, 2017
  7. Bree New Member
    Windows.old contains your previous system and allows you to go back to it if you are not happy with the reset. Obviously this is not something you'd want the new owner to be able to do. After the reset you should delete Windows.old. The easiest way to do this is to use Disk Clean up and click its 'Clean up system files' button. That is Option One in this tutorial.

Delete Windows.old Folder in Windows 10

Bree, Aug 6, 2017
  8. Brink
    Brink New Member

If you like, you could do a clean install of Windows to avoid having a Windows.old folder, and have a true OOBE.

Brink, Aug 6, 2017
  9. NavyLCDR New Member
    The way that I accomplish a new install of Windows on a computer that I am going to sell is to set it up using Audit Mode during the clean install.

Completely wipe the HDD or SSD. Do a clean install of Windows 10. At the screen where it wants you to set up the first account, press CTRL + SHIFT + F3. That will log you in as the built-in Administrator in Audit Mode. Set up all the hardware drivers, do updates, install software if you want to. Once it is all set up and ready to be delivered, then use the sysprep window to shutdown to OOBE mode. All account information will be deleted and the next start up of the computer will be back at the initial first account setup screen. Using sysprep shutdown to OOBE will also remove any WiFi connection information you might have had to use to get on the internet during setup. During the setup process, using the normal shutdown/restart method from the power icon will reboot the computer back into audit mode.

NavyLCDR, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Reset Windows for new user - Similar Threads - Reset user

2. My computer can't find my user profile after reset.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    My computer can't find my user profile after reset.: I try to log in and it tells me I have to reset my pin. I click on that and a blue screen pops up saying Windows can't find my user profile. Can't use the back-up or emergency disc....
  3. My computer can't find my user profile after reset.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My computer can't find my user profile after reset.: I try to log in and it tells me I have to reset my pin. I click on that and a blue screen pops up saying Windows can't find my user profile. Can't use the back-up or emergency disc....
  4. My computer can't find my user profile after reset.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. how do i delete or reset a windows user account from a local account

in Windows 10 Gaming
    how do i delete or reset a windows user account from a local account: When i turn my computer off and back it shows 3 different windows user accounts, one of which shows the actual email i used to create the account, the other just displays my first and last name, and the third being the only one i can get into is the local account. when i...
  6. how do i delete or reset a windows user account from a local account

how do i delete or reset a windows user account from a local account: When i turn my computer off and back it shows 3 different windows user accounts, one of which shows the actual email i used to create the account, the other just displays my first and last name, and the third being the only one i can get into is the local account. when i...
  7. Restoring a user account after factory reset

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Restoring a user account after factory reset: I have a computer with me as the main user, and my son as a secondary user. He recently did a factory reset on the computer. I've restored my account to the computer, but when I try to add his account as a secondary user, windows tells me his account is already on the...
  8. Restoring a user account after factory reset

Restoring a user account after factory reset: I have a computer with me as the main user, and my son as a secondary user. He recently did a factory reset on the computer. I've restored my account to the computer, but when I try to add his account as a secondary user, windows tells me his account is already on the...
  9. Forced to sign into user profile after reset which deleted user profile. Is there anything...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Forced to sign into user profile after reset which deleted user profile. Is there anything...: As I said in the question I reset my pc from the settings deleting all files and once it was finished resetting, the pc asked me to sign into my user profile with no other options. Every-time I sign into my profile the pc says user profile service failed sign in as it cannot...
  10. Forced to sign into user profile after reset which deleted user profile. Is there anything...

Forced to sign into user profile after reset which deleted user profile. Is there anything...: As I said in the question I reset my pc from the settings deleting all files and once it was finished resetting, the pc asked me to sign into my user profile with no other options. Every-time I sign into my profile the pc says user profile service failed sign in as it cannot...