Windows 10: Resetting ALL permissions to default

Discus and support Resetting ALL permissions to default in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; I have been silly and played with the security settings on my Windows 11 laptopIs there some way to return ALL to a new build status ?ie Default... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Steeboo, Dec 3, 2023.

1. Steeboo Win User

Resetting ALL permissions to default

I have been silly and played with the security settings on my Windows 11 laptopIs there some way to return ALL to a new build status ?ie Default everything without carrying out a rebuildI am being blocked from using many programs such as Ancestry/FTM because I am unable to save some files to the folder on my C: drive

:)

Steeboo, Dec 3, 2023

2. Default group permissions for ProgramData folder?

Here are the User permissions I have in my Windows 10 Home Explorer for Program Data:

CREATOR OWNER - Allow Special Permissions

SYSTEM - Allow Full control, Modify, Read & Execute, List folder contents, Read, Write

Administrators - Same as System

Users - Read & Execute, List folder contents, Read, Special Permissions

There are also default Windows 10 NTFS file permissions here:

https://winaero.com/reset-ntfs-permissions-wind...

https://www.winhelponline.com/blog/reset-ntfs-p...

https://droidrant.com/how-do-i-reset-my-permiss...

Report back results for each step so I know what else to suggest.

Feel free to ask back any questions. Based on the results you post back I may have other suggestions if necessary.

Standard Disclaimer: There are links to non-Microsoft websites. The pages appear to be providing accurate, safe information. Watch out for ads on the sites that may advertise products frequently classified as a PUP (Potentially Unwanted Products). Thoroughly research any product advertised on the sites before you decide to download and install it.

Greg Carmack, Dec 3, 2023
  3. DaveM121 Win User
    Default drive permissions

Hi Jortus

If you need to reset default permissions on that drive, here are the steps:

Click your Start Button, then just type cmd

Form the resulting list, right click Command Prompt and choose 'Run as Administrator'

Paste this command into Command Prompt and press Enter

icacls "D:\" /t /q /c /reset

DaveM121, Dec 3, 2023
  4. Callender Win User

Is there a utility to reset all W10 permissions back to defaults?

This resets permissions for default junctions if you've messed about taking ownership of folders that you should have left alone:

Folder name blank

It uses setacl.exe (built in)

Also check out a tool I sometimes use:

Resetting ALL permissions to default 263497d1579297306t-there-utility-reset-all-w10-permissions-back-defaults-system-repair.jpg

Resetting ALL permissions to default 263498d1579297336t-there-utility-reset-all-w10-permissions-back-defaults-system-repair-2.jpg

However for serious issues reimage as suggested.

Callender, Dec 3, 2023
Thema:

1. Resetting ALL permissions to default - Similar Threads - Resetting permissions default

2. Resetting ALL permissions to default

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Resetting ALL permissions to default: I have been silly and played with the security settings on my Windows 11 laptopIs there some way to return ALL to a new build status ?ie Default everything without carrying out a rebuildI am being blocked from using many programs such as Ancestry/FTM because I am unable to...
  3. To Reset Default user permissions

in Windows 10 Gaming
    To Reset Default user permissions: I want to reset all default permissions to my pc please help https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/to-reset-default-user-permissions/13ef7e2e-fad5-40f3-8b3c-f4beb09150f1
  4. To Reset Default user permissions

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    To Reset Default user permissions: I want to reset all default permissions to my pc please help https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/to-reset-default-user-permissions/13ef7e2e-fad5-40f3-8b3c-f4beb09150f1
  5. How to reset all permissions to default?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How to reset all permissions to default?: I couldn't find this anywhere and I really need help about this.Long story short, I thought RESTRICTED PACKAGES, ALL PACKAGES and TrustedInstaller were viruses so I removed their permissions from wherever I could but it turned out to be Windows 10's feature and the...
  6. Reset all Permissions

Reset all Permissions: I Have an issue with the permissions when I tried to open the file it's showing as I need permission but when I changed the permissions from the security tab to everyone it's still showing that I don't have access. I've tried everything but I can't open my file. Did I lose...
  7. How can I reset all user permissions to default for Windows 10?

How can I reset all user permissions to default for Windows 10?: I made a bad mistake and I removed both permissions for the SYSTEM and for administrators on my local disk c drive. How can I reset all the user permissions to default?...
  8. Is there a utility to reset all W10 permissions back to defaults?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Is there a utility to reset all W10 permissions back to defaults?: Hi all - Been testing some configurations of W10 by modifying Permissions, Groups, Owners, etc. Is there a safe utility to reset all of the above back to defaults, or should I just quickly reimage with a standard W10 install? Thanks in advance. *Nerd 148637
  9. WindowsApps reset default permissions

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    WindowsApps reset default permissions: Is there anyway to reset the permissions back to Account Unknown() for the WindowsApps folder? I wanted to have a look in it, I changed the ownership to myself and now I just want to reset it back to the default. The default was Account Unknown(sequence of some kind), but you...
  10. How to reset default file permissions for these directories?

in Windows 10 Support
    How to reset default file permissions for these directories?: The other day, I was trying to fix Windows Default Apps not working by adding "ALL APPLICATION PACKAGES" to the following directories as indicated here: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2798317 However, it seems to have messed up the permissions as what I did was...