Windows 10: Resetting PC problem via windows and media creation tool

Discus and support Resetting PC problem via windows and media creation tool in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; Hi all i have been having an issue with my pc for a while so I have started trying to reset it and have a clean installation of windows 10. I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by jacka27, Feb 17, 2018.

1. jacka27 Win User

Resetting PC problem via windows and media creation tool

Hi all

i have been having an issue with my pc for a while so I have started trying to reset it and have a clean installation of windows 10.

I have tried going to settings, update and security, and restting it. However half way the through the process it stops and gives me the message “there was a problem resetting your pc, no changes were made” (actually changes must have been made as I now have no audio, least of my worries)

With micrsoft support I downloaded a windows media creation tool (couldn’t find a 16gb stick so put it on a 500gb external usb hard drive), however even though I have changed the boot sequence to removable device, it still won’t boot from it.

I would appreciate any help, anyone could give as now I have started i’m in limbo with it

Thanks

David

:)

jacka27, Feb 17, 2018

2. Window 10 installation error "Something happened" using Media Creation Tool

Original Title: Media Creation Tool Problems

why I can't install windows 10 to my pc it's always appear: "something happened"? (via media creation tool) pls. HELP!!! Resetting PC problem via windows and media creation tool :)

thanks in advance Resetting PC problem via windows and media creation tool :)

Kian Sigfred C. De Guia, Feb 17, 2018
  3. Hanankhan Win User
    Windows 10 upgrade failed via media creation tool

Windows 10 upgrade failed via media creation tools.

there was a problem running this tool on your pc reference the error code 0x80200013-0x90017

Hanankhan, Feb 17, 2018
  4. Bree New Member

Welcome to TenForums @jacka27

The MCT usually asks for an 8GB USB. The total size of the install files for 1709 x64 is actually 3.58GB, so it may fit (just) on a 4GB drive.

You can make a bootable USB by formatting it to Fat32 and marking its partition Active. Instructions here:
    Create Bootable USB Flash Drive to Install Windows 10 (post #270)

Copy all the install media files and folders from the external HDD to the USB prepared as above and it will be bootable.

5. jacka27 Win User
    Hi Bree. Thanks for the help. I purchased a 16gb stick when I was out and I have just tried that and it didn’t work. It just carried on through to the login screen.

I have changed the boot sequence too. Any ideas??

Resetting PC problem via windows and media creation tool [​IMG]

Thanks

David

jacka27, Feb 17, 2018
  6. jacka27 Win User
    I have also changed this to usb first which didn’t work. Is it just because I ha e an old pc or is there something more sinister?

jacka27, Feb 17, 2018
  7. Bree New Member
    With the USB as the first device it should boot.

It looks like you have a legacy bios system. Did you mark the USB partition as Active? For legacy systems this is essential, otherwise it won't be seen as a bootable device. You can do this in Disk Management (right-click on the USB partition for the options). It is also essential that it was formatted as Fat32.

8. jacka27 Win User

Hi Bree I actually did both. Have a look at the screen shot. it has me baffled, but there is obviously something a miss. Lately I have had issues where my streaming options keep turning off and my VPN for work stops working so I need to set it back up.

Where do I go from here?

jacka27, Feb 17, 2018
  9. Bree New Member
    That's odd, a Fat32 Active partition should be bootable provided, that is, that you have copied all the correct files and folders to it from the install media. It should contain the following:
    Code: Directory of G:\ 17/02/2018 16:55 <DIR> boot 17/02/2018 16:55 <DIR> efi 17/02/2018 16:58 <DIR> sources 30/09/2017 15:03 43 autorun.inf 30/09/2017 16:06 397,752 bootmgr 30/09/2017 16:06 1,236,376 bootmgr.efi 30/09/2017 15:03 78,784 setup.exe[/quote]

10. jacka27 Win User
    [/quote] I have this which looks about right.

jacka27, Feb 17, 2018
  11. Bree New Member
    That looks correct, it should be bootable.

Most bios have a 'select boot device' menu available at start up. Often this option is not available if you have Fast Startup turned on in Windows 10, so either turn it off of use 'Restart' (which does a cold boot).

For an AMI bios the key to get into the 'select boot device' menu seems to be F8. You'll need to be quick, so start pressing F8 as soon as it starts up.

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/answer...-ami-bios.html

http://vip.asus.com/forum/view.aspx?...e=en-us&page=1

12. jacka27 Win User
    That didn’t work either. I don’t understand it

jacka27, Feb 17, 2018
  13. jacka27 Win User

I’ll try from one of the rear usbs

jacka27, Feb 17, 2018
  14. jacka27 Win User
    That hasn’t worked either. I have gone back into the boot menu and selected the usb as the main hd to boot from. It just loads to the login screen every single time.

jacka27, Feb 17, 2018
  15. Bree New Member
    Maybe its something about how you made the USB. To make a USB that will be certain to be bootable, download the Media Creation Tool and follow the steps in Option One of this tutorial.

Download Windows 10 ISO File

at step 6, leave the 'Use the recommended options for this PC' box checked.
    at step 8, select 'USB flash drive'.

Thema:

1. Resetting PC problem via windows and media creation tool - Similar Threads - Resetting problem via

2. Problems with the Media Creation Tool.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Problems with the Media Creation Tool.: Split from this thread. I've downloaded the media creation tool, watched it check for issues, make file changes. It tells me it's going to restart my computer several times, but only does that once and then the process stops. Have I done something incorrectly or might there...
  3. Problems with the Media Creation Tool.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Problems with the Media Creation Tool.: Split from this thread. I've downloaded the media creation tool, watched it check for issues, make file changes. It tells me it's going to restart my computer several times, but only does that once and then the process stops. Have I done something incorrectly or might there...
  4. Reset PC vs Media Creation Tool

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Reset PC vs Media Creation Tool: I want to re-install my Windows and I found out (from this youtube video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=icpf9K36fpA) that you can actually use Reset PC option in the Windows Settings, my question is, what is better (cleaner), is it the same? 159538
  5. Reset PC vs Media Creation Tool

in Windows 10 Support
    Reset PC vs Media Creation Tool: I want to re-install my Windows and I found out (from this youtube video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=icpf9K36fpA) that you can actually use Reset PC option in the Windows Settings, my question is, what is better (cleaner), is it the same? 159538
  6. Windows media creation tool problem

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows media creation tool problem: Hello peeps,Ive had this problem where i would open the media creation tool,choose upgrade this PC and it would download,i left it to download and i looked and it was on 98% and i looked away for a bit looked back and i think it completed but it just shut down,no errors or...
  7. Problems with Media Creation Tool

Problems with Media Creation Tool: Trying to setup Media Creation Tool...have used previously but now it will not 'install/setup' per attached jpg ? What could I be doing wrong here... ? Trying to do repair install of my Win 10 Pro 64bit system... Thanks....TiminAz 68219
  8. media creation tool problem

media creation tool problem: hello i want to upgrade my pc to win 10 when i want to download from media creation tool , after choosing upgrade this pc [img] please help me and thank you 9502
  9. Media Creation Tool Problems

Media Creation Tool Problems: Hi, Hope someone can help here. More Windows 10 s**t that is driving me mad! D/loaded the media creation tool hoping to put Win 10 on a USB to repair my daughters Win 10 installation on an ASUS eeePC (no optical drive). Running the tool on a Win 7 Home pc (64-bit)...
  10. Problem with the Media creation tool

Problem with the Media creation tool: I download the Windows image twice via the media creation tool. The file sizes though same, had different hashes(SHA1). If the images are identical, why the different hashes. Needless to say, the hashes don't obviously match with their MSDN counterpart. Why is this...