Windows 10: Resetting Windows 10 and not losing my free upgrade

Discus and support Resetting Windows 10 and not losing my free upgrade in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; So the time has come when the wonderful Windows 10 came to it's money taking period. However, I updated to windows 10 using the free upgrade available... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by AbAppletic, Aug 9, 2016.

1. Resetting Windows 10 and not losing my free upgrade

So the time has come when the wonderful Windows 10 came to it's money taking period.
    However, I updated to windows 10 using the free upgrade available on pre-July 29. Now, if I reset it to factory settings, will I still have Windows 10 activated? Or will I have to buy it?

:)

AbAppletic, Aug 9, 2016

2. If I reset my computer to factory settings, having downloaded the free windows 10 a few months back, will I lose it? Can I still upgrade to windows 10 for free again?

Thank you for your response. This was helpful.

I've upgraded to Windows 10 using the free upgrade offer, but haven’t reset to factory settings yet. I wanted to be sure I wouldn't lose the free Windows 10. Sounds like after I reset my computer, in a nutshell, I'll be able to install
    Windows 10 again (for free again). : )

b5df0aad-bf50-4a5a-837b-4a2aac0dcbb4, Aug 9, 2016
  3. If I reset my computer to factory settings, having downloaded the free windows 10 a few months back, will I lose it? Can I still upgrade to windows 10 for free again?

If I reset my computer to factory settings, having downloaded the free windows 10 a few months back, will I lose it? Can I still upgrade to windows 10 for free again?

b5df0aad-bf50-4a5a-837b-4a2aac0dcbb4, Aug 9, 2016
  4. songkrai Win User

Resetting Windows 10 and not losing my free upgrade

Good question.

I want to reformat hard drive/restore to Windows 10 default out of box settings on older desktop.
    What do I get when I do this?
    Windows 10?
    Windows 7?
    Or Vista - that the computer came with?

songkrai, Aug 9, 2016
  5. Luulune Win User
    Hey,

you can make a Windows 10 boot disk to make a clean install. I reinstalled Win10 clean on my new SSD only last week and there was no issue., The activation happens on the first Windows boot. As long as your motherboard is the same there should be no issue

Luulune, Aug 9, 2016
  6. cereberus Win User
    No - you can reinstall at any time in future free of charge on same pc, as you now have a digital licence tied to mobo id. You do not even need to enter a key.

cereberus, Aug 9, 2016
  7. VBJP Win User
    If PC was updated to windows 10 and activated before, any future reinstall of windows 10 on same hardware will be free and will activate automatically when you connect to internet if windows 10 install asks for key you can just click i don't have key.

VBJP, Aug 9, 2016
  8. Josbeph Win User

If you go to:
    Settings -> Update & security -> Recovery
    and then select Reset this PC. This wont deactivate Windows.

Josbeph, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Resetting Windows 10 and not losing my free upgrade - Similar Threads - Resetting losing free

2. Reset will lose my pro upgrade

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Reset will lose my pro upgrade: I had to reset to factory install, would I loose the Windows Pro upgrade, and have to pay $99 again, or will it reset to the pro version?I need assurance. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/reset-will-lose-my-pro-upgrade/6af58072-75b8-4b5b-af14-99ffadfff7f1
  3. Reset will lose my pro upgrade

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Reset will lose my pro upgrade: I had to reset to factory install, would I loose the Windows Pro upgrade, and have to pay $99 again, or will it reset to the pro version?I need assurance. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/reset-will-lose-my-pro-upgrade/6af58072-75b8-4b5b-af14-99ffadfff7f1
  4. Reset will lose my pro upgrade

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. How can I reset my PC without losing the free Windows 10 upgrade software that I have been...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How can I reset my PC without losing the free Windows 10 upgrade software that I have been...: Originally, I purchased a PC running Windows 8.1 operating system. I then took advantage of the free Windows 10 upgrade when it became available, so my operating system is now Windows 10. Unfortunately for me, I did not save a copy of this upgrade software and now find...
  6. How can I reset my PC without losing the free Windows 10 upgrade software that I have been...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How can I reset my PC without losing the free Windows 10 upgrade software that I have been...: Originally, I purchased a PC running Windows 8.1 operating system. I then took advantage of the free Windows 10 upgrade when it became available, so my operating system is now Windows 10. Unfortunately for me, I did not save a copy of this upgrade software and now find...
  7. How can I reset my PC without losing the free Windows 10 upgrade software that I have been...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. windows 10 free upgrade

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    windows 10 free upgrade: I did the windows 10 upgrade from windows 8.1 and I cant get it activated due to product key or digital license i dont think i ever got a digital license information email or anything where can i find the license information to activate the free upgraded windows 10...
  9. Windows 10 Upgrade is not Free

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 Upgrade is not Free: I have been using Windows 10 upgrade and having worked in IT support. I have been thinking about Microsoft and their motives. I decided to change my hard drive and Win 10 deactivated. I called MS and was told I had to reinstall qualifying product and do another upgrade. Soon...
  10. Is The Windows 10 Free Upgrade Still Free?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Is The Windows 10 Free Upgrade Still Free?: Hmm I firstly thought that free upgrade to windows 10 has end but now I see MS giving away windows 10 free again in this wsite?- Here 74024