Windows 10: Resetting Windows 10 Data usage meter

Discus and support Resetting Windows 10 Data usage meter in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Is there any way to reset the WiFi Data Usage meter each month? 11967 Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by SeaTrane, Aug 2, 2015.

1. SeaTrane Win User

Resetting Windows 10 Data usage meter

Is there any way to reset the WiFi Data Usage meter each month?

:)

SeaTrane, Aug 2, 2015
  2. FredCoach Win User

Unable to reset metered connection on Window s10 after data usage.

Original Title: Windows 10 data usage meter not reseting every month

Hi I have a metered internet that caps a 150GB and need to persistently track my usage but after the first month with window 10 it stopped resetting. Any help would be much appreciated.

FredCoach, Aug 2, 2015
  3. win 10 is set as metered I want to reset the data usage

In Windows 10, does the data usage reset itself? If not how do you keep track of data usage with metered connection? I have limited satellite connection of 10 GB

DianeTesene, Aug 2, 2015
  4. jimmij Win User

I've been trying to figure this out for 3 days now...

I monitor my network traffic with the Networx application. Windows 8.1 allowed users to reset or disable the data usage tracking, but I have not found a way to disable or reset it in Windows 10.

Someone please help.

jimmij, Aug 3, 2015
  5. LanMan Win User
    I feel your pain and am also seeking help with this annoying issue.

Windows 8.1 had an easily resettable data meter that could be reset each month on the day your monthly data plan resets. I can't find its equivalent in Windows 10. This is progress?

I live in a rural area and get my internet on a speedy, fairly reliable cellular data plan (fastest, most cost-effective option available here, as sad and pathetic as that is to admit) but it has a monthly usage limit. It would be very nice to be able to simply and easily reset my meter every month rather than have Windows 10 arbitrarily reset it 30 days after the day I installed Windows 10 and every 30 days thereafter, which seems to be the only option at this point.

I really don't want to have to keep a paper log of internet usage each month. Come on Microsoft. Just come the effing eff on. The more I use Windows, the closer I get to paying the $$ for a Mac.

Anyone have any ideas, or at least hope for this to be included in a future update or patch?

Thanks for reading my rant! *Smile

LanMan, Aug 9, 2015
  6. jimmij Win User
    Believe it or not, I also live in a rural area with a limited data plan and I strictly monitor my usage... It's saddening that no one has provided a solution to this major issue yet.

I consider myself a power user and could not find a way to disable this data monitoring feature. After several days tinkering with 10, I provided a solution for myself and that was to completely uninstall windows 10 and install windows 7 on my 2015 laptop. I am running 100% solid now with no issues. It took me a while to scrounge up the proper drivers, but no more windows 10 makes me really happy. Microsoft flops again and I will soon be switching to LINUX entirely.

jimmij, Aug 9, 2015
  7. Go to Wi-Fi settings and click Advanced options. Set the metered connection to Off. Reboot the pc. You can't view the metered connection setting unless you have a Wi-Fi connection in use.

gardengurl71, Aug 19, 2015
  8. SeaTrane Win User

I want the ability to reset the meter at the beginning of each month so I know what I am using during the month, what you are suggesting is not a solution to what I am asking.

SeaTrane, Aug 20, 2015
  9. It is the solution. Do it at the beginning of the month or the next full moon. It's not something you can auto set. You have to actually manually go in and do what I said.

gardengurl71, Aug 20, 2015
  10. SeaTrane Win User
    ok, thanks. I will give it a shot.

SeaTrane, Aug 20, 2015
  11. aissa Win User
    I did what you said but it didn't work..

aissa, Sep 5, 2015
  12. bro67 Win User
    bro67, Sep 5, 2015
  13. bro67 Win User

You do know that is the incorrect way to reset the meter.

bro67, Sep 5, 2015
  14. SeaTrane Win User
    I started this thread and was looking for something simple. It meters my usage and thats fine, it gives me a running amount so I can make sure I don't go over my data cap for Sept. On October 1st I want to reset the wifi counter to 0 and start the count over, each and every month. This should have a reset option, you click on it and everything goes to "0" and a new count starts, all the geekiness in the posts above makes no sense to me. I guess I will have to hunt down an app that will do that for me, keep track of usage that I can reset every month.

SeaTrane, Sep 5, 2015
  15. It is not the incorrect way because I tested and it works.

gardengurl71, Sep 5, 2015
Thema:

1. Resetting Windows 10 Data usage meter - Similar Threads - Resetting Data usage

2. How to reduce heavy data usage on a laptop on metered connections

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to reduce heavy data usage on a laptop on metered connections: Recently, I have started facing heavy data usage issues. Whenever I connect my laptop's wifi to my mobile hotspot, it consumes a lot of data even though my device is set as metered connection in my laptop. Under 5 minutes the "Data used by connected device" on my mobile read...
  3. How to reduce heavy data usage on a laptop on metered connections

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to reduce heavy data usage on a laptop on metered connections: Recently, I have started facing heavy data usage issues. Whenever I connect my laptop's wifi to my mobile hotspot, it consumes a lot of data even though my device is set as metered connection in my laptop. Under 5 minutes the "Data used by connected device" on my mobile read...
  4. Data Usage / Metering

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Data Usage / Metering: Why does the data usage keep throttling back my Mbps. I have removed the data limit, i have put it at unlimited, and it still want to revert back to limiting my Mbps. Getting a little irritating. Anyone else have/had this issue?...
  5. windows 10 data usage

in Windows 10 Customization
    windows 10 data usage: i can stop my PC auto usage of my data. my data for the day is consumed in just an hour up to 10gb what should i do to stop it. i even tried to reboot my PC. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-data-usage/b7820197-14be-417a-aced-ebdaa478c0af
  6. Data usage meter

Data usage meter: My data usage overview doesn't show the amount of data I've used for the past 30 days. Why is that and how can I resolve that problem ? Please answer. I need to check it often as my ISP is lying on Data Usage. Please check the image attached. Thanks.[ATTACH]...
  7. Data usage, windows 10.

Data usage, windows 10.: Can you point me to the best fixes to stop Win 10 using so much data, no videos being watched, maybe looking a photos on usedguns, too much, not much else. 45454
  8. Data Usage - How to Reset ?

Data Usage - How to Reset ?: ....... does anybody got an idea how to reset the Data Usage back to 0 ? Any help would be greatly appreciated ....... 14216
  9. How to reset Data Usage ?

How to reset Data Usage ?: In Settings > Network & Internet > Data Usage : data usage is monitored this day to one month back , this is entirely useless since usually people try to monitor their usage since last bill , windows 8.1 allowed resetting of counter in any specific day so the counter can...
  10. Reset Network Data Usage in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Reset Network Data Usage in Windows 10: How to: Reset Network Data Usage in Windows 10 How to Reset Network Data Usage in Windows 10 Windows 10 includes a feature to let you view the network data usage of the PC from the last 30 days. The data usage is itemized per type of network (ex: Wi-Fi or Ethernet), and...