Windows 10: Resetting Windows 10 log in password

Discus and support Resetting Windows 10 log in password in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; Can someone help? My sister's HDD crashed and she lost everything. No problem as install disks available. Here's the problem. She says she set up log... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by Ol computer man, Oct 7, 2015.

1. Resetting Windows 10 log in password

Can someone help? My sister's HDD crashed and she lost everything. No problem as install disks available. Here's the problem. She says she set up log in with microsoft account, but that password does not work. So I think she has local PW. When I click on reset PW error that flash drive or reset disk has to be used. None created. I always control my PWs so never encountered this problem. Changed her Microsoft Account PW but that does nothing. She uses PC for their HVAC business and needs to get back on ASAP.
    Appreciate any help!

:)

Ol computer man, Oct 7, 2015
  2. Subon Win User

Resetting log in password

I am wondering how I am able to delete another users password when logging into my computer for windows 10? i have tried everything and can not figure out how to delete their password so they can log into the computer.

Subon, Oct 7, 2015
  3. Resetting log in password

Hi Subon,

Thank you for posting your question in the Microsoft Community.

I understand that you want to delete another user’s password when logging into your computer. I will try to help you with this issue.

If the other user account is a local account with a password then you need to be logged in as admin to follow these steps:

• Press Windows key + X, select
      Command prompt (Admin) to bring up elevated command prompt.

• Type “netplwiz” without quotes.

• In the User accounts window, uncheck the box for “Users must enter a user name password to use this computer”.

• On the next window enter your username and password.

Click OK and restart your computer to see the effect.

Keep us informed to help you further.

Srimadhwa B, Oct 7, 2015
  4. Kyhi Win User

Resetting Windows 10 log in password

If the HDD crashed and she lost everything, Then if you use the install disks to reinstall the OS, there is no password to login..
    you must create one... create a local account, once logged into a local account - she can access her MS account online and do whatever to recreate or recover her old MS account password.. Once that is known, then login to PC using MS Account

Kyhi, Oct 7, 2015
  5. joya Win User
    If you just want to reset a forgotten Windows password, give a try with the freeware Offline NT Password & Registry Editor, or the paid tool PCUnlocker. If there is nothing important in your computer, I recommend that you reset your Windows 10 to factory settings.

joya, Oct 8, 2015
  6. She bought new laptop in July. Came with Win 8.1. No disks. It is a business PC with lot of expensive software. Not sure what happened but Windows would not respond by any means. She brought it to me to try and fix. Could not repair so did a complete reset by using keyboard windows key and R key that took me to reset like new. i was able to reload most programs and files that had been backed up. Problem was that when I went to windows update to do updates it would spend several minutes searching and then come up with upgrade to 10. I unchecked it and picked updates I wanted but it insisted on downloading 10. Finally gave up and let it install. Due to our being in the boonies and using compressed radio waves for IPS, it took 10 hours. Of course her 2007 version of Quicken was not compatible so had to buy 2015.
    Set up log in to with a new Microsoft account as she had none. Wrote down all info for account. After I installed Quicken it restarted but keep getting log error, password incorrect. Microsoft has sent 2 codes to reset account but still cannot log in with that info. As it is business machine don't want to reset again and she needs to use it ASAP. Microsoft rep even told me to log in and set up new account….if I could log in would not have called him. Pretty frustrated. Will try Offline NT Password & Registry Editor. Thanks for replies. Appreciate any help we can get.

Ol computer man, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Resetting Windows 10 log in password

1. Resetting Windows 10 log in password - Similar Threads - Resetting log password

2. How to reset log in password without a reset disk?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to reset log in password without a reset disk?: I forgot my PIN/password and cannot log in to my laptop. It shows "The referenced account is currently locked out and may not be logged on to." I hit "OK" and I'm back with "Set up my PIN" But I cannot click it and "Sign-in options" I also clicked this but it just repeats the...
  3. How to reset log in password without a reset disk?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to reset log in password without a reset disk?: I forgot my PIN/password and cannot log in to my laptop. It shows "The referenced account is currently locked out and may not be logged on to." I hit "OK" and I'm back with "Set up my PIN" But I cannot click it and "Sign-in options" I also clicked this but it just repeats the...
  4. Can not log in after resetting password

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can not log in after resetting password: I have reset my password on my mobileDevice, but can not log in, or get past initial login screen on my oc. Says password incorrect. Make sure you’re using password for. Microsoft account. If you can’t remembe…on…account.live.com/password/resetI’ll go onto above link, reset...
  5. Can not log in after resetting password

Can not log in after resetting password: I have reset my password on my mobileDevice, but can not log in, or get past initial login screen on my oc. Says password incorrect. Make sure you’re using password for. Microsoft account. If you can’t remembe…on…account.live.com/password/resetI’ll go onto above link, reset...
  6. can't reset log in password. Help!

in Windows 10 Gaming
    can't reset log in password. Help!: My dad set up his new computer and doesn't remember his password or his password hint questions and so we can't reset the password. And he doesn't know what account he would have used. How can I get that password reset, or how can I reset windows without being able to log in...
  7. can't reset log in password. Help!

can't reset log in password. Help!: My dad set up his new computer and doesn't remember his password or his password hint questions and so we can't reset the password. And he doesn't know what account he would have used. How can I get that password reset, or how can I reset windows without being able to log in...
  8. Remove logging in with Hotmail password to Windows and reset login through password

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Remove logging in with Hotmail password to Windows and reset login through password: About a month ago I logged into my Hotmail account in my Windows 10 computer to install some apps from Windows store. It also asked me to set a login PIN which I did. Now everytime I login it asks me to enter the PIN which I had set. Now I don't want this feature. I just want...
  9. Windows 10 Reset Password?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 Reset Password?: My computer has started playing silly games so I have decided that I will reload Windows 10. To do this, I will take the option of retaining my files and reloading the rest. Things went well for a while and then I got a box with my name in it and a request for a password. Now...
  10. Can't log in to Windows 10 to reset Windows.- says password incorrect but it’s correct

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Can't log in to Windows 10 to reset Windows.- says password incorrect but it’s correct: When trying to do a reset windows 10 says the password to login is incorrect however it is the correct password I even reset the password upon seeing this message. After trying a bunch of different suggestions on this website I found the right answer however I cannot respond...