Windows 10: Resize the Touch Keyboard after Fall Creators Update

Discus and support Resize the Touch Keyboard after Fall Creators Update in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; The touch keyboard was changed with the Fall Creators Edition update. It now displays in a much larger area -- it takes up nearly half of the screen... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by PJLLB, Oct 17, 2017.

1. PJLLB Win User

Resize the Touch Keyboard after Fall Creators Update

The touch keyboard was changed with the Fall Creators Edition update. It now displays in a much larger area -- it takes up nearly half of the screen when the "full" keyboard is selected, both when the keyboard is locked to the bottom of the screen or when it can be moved to another position. Does anyone know how to resize the touch keyboard (the one that automatically displays when not in tablet mode and there's no keyboard attached)?

(I'm not referring to the "On-Screen Keyboard" that can me turned on in the Settings>>Ease of Use>>Keyboard settings. That keyboard can be resized.)

:)

PJLLB, Oct 17, 2017

2. What happened to the full touch keyboard in Windows 10?

After installing the Windows 10 Fall Creators Update, the full/standard touch keyboard is missing. What happened to it, and how do I get it back?

Edison Pus, Oct 17, 2017
  3. Suat-70 Win User
    Fall Creators Update - Touch keyboard problem

Unfortunately my problem is continuing. I even completely uninstalled Microsoft Office from my Surface 3 tablet and reinstalled it. But the problem is still continuing.

Before installing the Fall Creators Update I did not have any problem with the touch keyboard. I think Fall Creators Update has a bug which causes a touch keyboard problem with Microsoft Surface 3 when using Turkish Q keyboard.

Almost every month I am making a full Backup of my Surface 3 with Paragon. I restored the Backup volume I made before the Fall Creators Update. Turkish Q touch keyboard worked perfectly !

But switching back to an earlier backup of my Windows 10 will be a solution, I know, because the Fall Creators Update will install itself without asking my permission automatically.

Many Thanks for your kind assistance...

Suat-70, Oct 17, 2017
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

Brink, Oct 17, 2017
  5. PJLLB Win User
    Thanks, but that's not the keyboard I want to use. It's not fully functional without extra effort to get full key functionality.

Any ideas why this was moved to the Software and Apps forum? There are other questions about impacts of the Fall Creators Update and Windows settings (which this is) in the general forum, and that forum gets the visibility this one does not.

PJLLB, Oct 17, 2017
  6. Brink
    Brink New Member
    It was moved since the "Touch Keyboard" is more specific for an app/feature subject instead. It has nothing to do with which one gets more visibility. You would get better support if it's in the forum closest to the subject.

Brink, Oct 17, 2017
  7. If this is the incorrect forum please advise correct location for this inquiry. But I am also having a similar Touch Keyboard issue after applying the Windows 10 Fall Creators Update (1709).

I installed the Fall Creators Update (1709) on my tablet and my Touch Keyboard (not the On Screen Keyboard) is now slightly smaller. It still fills the screen left to right but apparently the font (from what I've read) has been made smaller. This is the new version of the Touch Keyboard with the Keyboard Settings and Voice Command icons in the upper left corner of the keyboard.

When starting my system and booting up, the Login (Lock) Screen keyboard remains unchanged. It's the same size as previous versions without the two icons at the top left. It is slightly larger than the in-Windows Touch keyboard and this is the size I want to use after I login to my tablet.

I am running my tablet in Desktop Mode as opposed to Tablet Mode. I have tried the older Registry "Scaling" fix in attempt to resize. I have even altered my resolution to see if that would have an effect. Neither attempt worked. I cannot back-version as my Windows.Old directory has been cleaned.

Is there a registry hack to use the same login touch keyboard (compatible) while in Windows as the one from the Login or Lock Screen? I want to change because typing is now much harder with the slightly smaller keys/keyboard.

I have seen other users post requests for a fix on other forums but nothing yet. I will post a fix if I find one first. Any help is appreciated. Thanks and Cheers.

OGFrankRussell, Oct 26, 2017
  8. Resize the Touch Keyboard after Fall Creators Update

Found another "bug" with the new Touch Keyboard update in Windows 10 (1709) Creators Fall Update.

When on an open folder with Medium Icons set for your View...you USED to be able to hold the Shift Key and use the Left or Right Arrow Keys to highlight mutiple files for a Cut or Copy, I can't do that any more.

Anybody know if there's a fix or even if it's been reported?

Cheers.

OGFrankRussell, Oct 26, 2017
  9. cereberus Win User
    Why don't YOU check Feedback Hub, report it etc?

cereberus, Oct 26, 2017
  10. accenttek Win User
    I had the same issue, the new version takes up 1/2 of the Surface Pro screen.
    I've just been overwriting a couple files with old versions to get the old keyboard back for now.

Here are the steps I use to Overwrite new versions of the file when MS rolls out updates:
    1. Open folder: C:\Program Files\Common Files\microsoft shared\ink
    2. Make a backup copy of TabTip.exe and tipskins.dll and place them somewhere safe!
    3. On these two files in the folder above: TabTip.exe, tipskins.dll ...
    a. Open Security Permissions.
    b. Change Owner of files from TrustedInstaller to your local user account.
    c. Close & Re-open the Permissions window.
    d. Change Permission for Administrators Group (or add permission for your local acct)
    Giving FULL permission to your User or Group.4. Open TaskManager and END the TabTip.exe process.
    5. Copy the version you want over-top of these files.
    (I'm using file version 10.0.15063.0 and 10.0.15063.502 from before Fall Creators Update)
    6. Run tabtip.exe (just double-click it)
    I'd also recommend reporting or upvoting anything related to this keyboard size issue on Feeback Hub.
    To me, we should be able to customize the key font and also resize the keyboard to whatever size we prefer.

accenttek, Nov 14, 2017
  11. PJLLB Win User
    I finally got copies of the pre-Fall Creators Edition update files. (I just got a new Surface Pro 2017 and it had not been updated to the Fall Creators Edition so I was able to get the older versions.) The keyboard is back to what I like, but the touch keyboard does not generally automatically open on the screen when I tap in a text entry area. I have to open the touch keyboard. Any thoughts?

PJLLB, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Resize the Touch Keyboard after Fall Creators Update - Similar Threads - Resize Touch Keyboard

2. Fall creators update.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Fall creators update.: How do i stop or block this virus you call the fall creators update, 3 times this year it's uploaded itself onto my computer and every time i've had to revert to the previous build. Each time it installs itself i loose 3-4 hours of work time because i can't use my computer,...
  3. INetCookies after Fall Creators Update...

in Browsers and Email
    INetCookies after Fall Creators Update...: Sorry if this is the wrong forum, but I thought it was more browser than OS related. Anyway, after last week's v1709 update, CCleaner has been deleting a file it never used to. C:\Users\UserId\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\INetCookies\deprecated.cookie It shows up...
  4. BSOD after Fall Creators update, 0x000000c8

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    BSOD after Fall Creators update, 0x000000c8: Hello. I'm having BSODs and other problems like start menu not working after upgrading to v1709. The strange thing is that BSODs occur only when pc turns on, meaning no BSOD when I restart. I even tried a clean install from different 1709 .ISO and still getting BSODs....
  5. Fall creator updated did something to my keyboard

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Fall creator updated did something to my keyboard: Help i have now light for caps lock or num lock, once in windows, they do work but the lights are not functioning they did before fall creator updated, i uninstalled keyboard and even reinstalled it no go , i even got the latest steelseries drivers nothing works. It's a...
  6. Mouse lag after fall creators update

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Mouse lag after fall creators update: After installing the last big fall creators update, I'm getting mouse lag, not only in games but also inside of windows. The mouse will sort of pause when I mouse over things that might highlight in windows. I already reinstalled the Logitech software, and I updated the...
  7. Fall Creators Update

in Windows 10 Support
    Fall Creators Update: Has anyone installed it yet? If so did it break anything for you? Debating If I should update or not. 95662
  8. fall creator update

fall creator update: Is there a general chart which might give info on when i would get fcu. I went from 7 to 10 just a couple weeks before free 10 stopped. 97324
  9. Fall Creators Update

Fall Creators Update: I just bit the bullet and went to Microsoft site and tried to install it. It hung up stuck on 24% and stayed there for an hour so I pulled the plug and it has gone back to the previous version. Now what? 99881
  10. Fall Creators Update

in Windows 10 Support
    Fall Creators Update: I work for a company that has about 200 desktop and laptop running Windows 10 (most are HP's)on our own domain and after the fall creators update, we have experienced Unauthenticated network messages as well as download issues in all browsers (Edge, IE 11, Chrome, Firefox)....

Users found this page by searching for:

1. touch keyborad resize issue in windows 10

2. touchkeyboard resize

3. touch keyboard resize 2019