Windows 10: resizing a partition -is it a good idea?

Discus and support resizing a partition -is it a good idea? in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; i have come across a program that can resize a new partition when if the primary disk is too full. and wondering how would resizing a partition benefit... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Pathfinder, Dec 8, 2016.

1. resizing a partition -is it a good idea?

i have come across a program that can resize a new partition when if the primary disk is too full. and wondering how would resizing a partition benefit me in the long run? -not to say iam running low in memory, but "just in case"*Nerd

:)

Pathfinder, Dec 8, 2016
  2. JimWynne Win User

Is it a good idea to extend C drive partition (SSD) with space from mechanical drive partition?

You can't extend a partition across two physical drives.

JimWynne, Dec 8, 2016
  3. Is it a good idea to extend C drive partition (SSD) with space from mechanical drive partition?

Hi,

I just got a new laptop with 256 GB SSD which is my C drive, and other 1 TB partition from mechanical drive. what if I extend size of my C drive taking storage space from the other 1 TB partition? will it degrade performance of C drive?

ASHUTOSH BAROT, Dec 8, 2016
  4. LMiller7 Win User

resizing a partition -is it a good idea?

Resizing a partition is a good thing if it accomplishes a purpose. What are you trying to accomplish? A screenshot of Disk Manager would help.

LMiller7, Dec 8, 2016
  5. shot of disk itself. iam trying to weigh my options here. using program for future reference

resizing a partition -is it a good idea? [​IMG]

resizing a partition -is it a good idea? [​IMG]

Pathfinder, Dec 9, 2016
  6. LMiller7 Win User
    The C: drive could only be made larger by deleting the recovery partition. You probably don't want to do this and the space gained would be insignificant. Disk 0 has no other available space. You cannot add space to a partition from another physical drive.

LMiller7, Dec 9, 2016
  7. fdegrove Win User
    Hi,

What I'd suggest to do is shrink the C: partition and create a data/backup partition in the new empty space to separate the OS from personal stuff, for instance.

Cheers, *Wink

fdegrove, Dec 9, 2016
  8. resizing a partition -is it a good idea?

*Thumbs I also do as fdegrove suggested. I keep my user data in a separate partition. It makes data backups smaller/simpler plus if Windows gets corrupted / starts to misbehave you only need restore your C partition from disk image backup. Your data remains untouched / current. It's not overwritten when you restore from an image.

I also take it one step further: I create a partition for data i expressly do NOT want backed up: such as music and photos/videos put on my computer for convenience. But I don't want or need to waste backup time or space on the data in this partition as I still have original media or copies somewhere else. (I have 40GB of media on my non-backed up partition. Much easier to keep it separate and never backed up)

ComputerGeek, Dec 10, 2016
  9. Steve C Win User
    Yes to posts 5&6 above. I recommend MiniTool Partition Wizard of you do decide to create the extra data partitions recmmended.

Steve C, Dec 10, 2016
  10. i wish there was an easy button, push once and problem solved. i will save the hints you all have given me as reference. i probaley wont do anything at this point in time anyway.
    on a side not, could i try use my WD passport external as a second hard drive. and if so, could i plug and unplug it without any adverse side effects?

Pathfinder, Dec 12, 2016
  11. fdegrove Win User
    Hi,

You could but how convenient that ends up to be will largely depend on what you're going to use it for.
    Personally I wouldn't run major programs from it if I'd still wanted to unplug the drive at will.
    Since quite a few programs suck at shutting down properly leaving things run in RAM making removing the external drive a pain to the point it may even bring the OS to crash.

Even using the clean eject method by using the eject button present in the taskbar can be a pain when the external drive is taken over by the system process as often happens when there's a Windows backup stored on it.

Cheers, *Wink

fdegrove, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

resizing a partition -is it a good idea?

1. resizing a partition -is it a good idea? - Similar Threads - resizing partition idea

2. Partition Resize Apps

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Partition Resize Apps: Hello,I want to resize some partitions. Does anybody know a free app that can help me? I tried to increase C: space, but I can't. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/partition-resize-apps/cb1eba8e-11e9-4995-84c6-f47ccec8ca4b
  3. Partition Resize Apps

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Partition Resize Apps: Hello,I want to resize some partitions. Does anybody know a free app that can help me? I tried to increase C: space, but I can't. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/partition-resize-apps/cb1eba8e-11e9-4995-84c6-f47ccec8ca4b
  4. Partition Resize Apps

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. Resize partitions

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Resize partitions: I have one 18T HD in two partitions, 6T + 12T unallocated, now I want to shink in one 18T but fail. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/resize-partitions/912c9013-7422-4ac6-aff1-2870203a45a9
  6. Resize partitions

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Resize partitions: I have one 18T HD in two partitions, 6T + 12T unallocated, now I want to shink in one 18T but fail. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/resize-partitions/912c9013-7422-4ac6-aff1-2870203a45a9
  7. Resize partitions

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. Is it a good idea to install the latest update?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Is it a good idea to install the latest update?: I paused my updates a while back and forgot to unpause them. I am still running on the 2/11/2020 update. Should I install the latest cumulative update of just the latest security patches? In case it matters, this is a gaming pc. submitted by /u/Turboyoshi0406 [link]...
  9. Resize partition C

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Resize partition C: On partition C is my OS Win 10. I want to extend volume C. I shrank volume D and I got "147.65 GB unallocated". How can I extend volume C using the "147.65 GB unallocated"? Thanks in advance for any help...
  10. Cannot resize partition

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Cannot resize partition: These are my partitions: [img] I wish to shrink the partition "E" by 20GB and add it to partition "G". But the built-in Disk Management program won't let me. [img] So, I tried a third party app - Easeus Partition Manager, but it tells me it needs to finish...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. win 10 1 tb ssd is it a good idea to partition drive