Windows 10: Resolution Issues & BSODs After Re-Connecting Laptop to External Disp.

Discus and support Resolution Issues & BSODs After Re-Connecting Laptop to External Disp. in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Hello, I am looking for help, as I have been having some resolution issues with my extended monitors for quite some time. There are a large number... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by scjohnson1988, Jan 22, 2017.

1. Resolution Issues & BSODs After Re-Connecting Laptop to External Disp.

Hello,

I am looking for help, as I have been having some resolution issues with my extended monitors for quite some time. There are a large number of problems that range from BSODing shortly after re-connecting my docked monitors on a regular basis to having constant annoyances with sizes on screen. I have tried and searched for hours and attempted every applicable resolution, but I haven't found a correct solution. While I would love to resolve problems with resolution, the BSODs after re-docking are my primary problem.
    Problems

• Refer to this gallery for images citing the specific resolution issues (apologies for the compressed/poor quality): Resolution Issues - Album on Imgur
    • BSOD after re-connecting my laptop to either docks (takes about 15-20 minutes and gives multiple error messages)
    • Very inconsistent font sizes and sizes associated with Windows and file explorer
    • Applications, both DPI-aware and non-DPI aware, have scaling issues
    Things I have tried/notice:

• Updated drivers, BIOS, firmware, software, etc.
    • Ran the various Windows commands to check for errors (sfc /scannow, dism, etc.)
    • Swapped wires and re-seated connections
    • Adjusted refresh rate on external monitors to 59 and 60 hz
    • Adjusted resolution on primary monitor to 1920x1080 to match both external monitors (while this is an undesirable solution, it did help some problems and helped address many of the sizing problems, especially with file explorer)
    • Used custom scaling instead of standard resolutions
    • Installed Samsung drivers for monitors
    • Reset the monitors to default settings
    • As an aside, the resolution problems disappear entirely on the external monitors if I set them to mirror the primary monitor. However, as soon as I extend the display, the resolution problems appear. I do not want to mirror my monitors, but I don't understand why a mirror would correct the problems.
    • 9 times out of 10, the BSODs will occur after re-connecting my laptop to my external displays. However, if I reboot my laptop immediately after reconnecting to the monitors, there will not be a BSOD.
    • The BSOD gives three or so different errors, ranging from "Critical Process Died", "Memory Management", Exception Not Handled, etc.
    • Additionally, often if my computer goes from Lock Screen -> monitor off following an idle time, the monitor will not "wake up" or render to a usable state. I have attempted to wait, push buttons, close the lid, re-connect/disconnect monitors, etc. The only solution is to perform a hard reboot.
    Hardware/Specs:

• Dell XPS 15 9550 Laptop
    • Primary Monitor: 3840x2160 (also 1920x1080)
    • Two Secondary External Monitors: Samsung S27E510 (1920x1080)
    • OS: Windows 10 Version 1607 - I have had the same problems with multiple builds. I also had the same problems on Version 1511.
    • Dock 1: USB-C hub to allow for a second HDMI external monitor, in addition to the other secondary HDMI external monitor, which is connected directly to the laptop
    • Dock 2: Thunderbolt TB-15 (this was installed a few months after using the USB-C hub, but did not change any of the issues)
    • Video Card/Drivers: Intel HD 530 (Dell Firmware - 20.19.15.4483) and NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M (Driver - 21.21.13.757) - the NVIDIA driver was disabled, which helped improve some of the problems, but not all of them.

:)

scjohnson1988, Jan 22, 2017

2. Ongoing Resolution Issues With Multiple Monitors

Hello,

I am looking for help, as I have been having some resolution issues with my extended monitors for quite some time. There are a large number of problems that range from BSODing shortly after re-connecting my docked monitors on a regular basis to having constant
    annoyances with sizes on screen. I have tried and searched for hours and attempted every applicable resolution, but I haven't found a correct solution.

Problems

• Refer to this gallery for images citing the specific resolution issues (apologies for the compressed/poor quality): Resolution Issues
    • BSOD after re-connecting my laptop to either docks (takes about 15-20 minutes and gives multiple error messages)
    • Very inconsistent font sizes and sizes associated with Windows and file explorer
    • Applications, both DPI-aware and non-DPI aware, have scaling issues

Things I have tried:

• Updated drivers, BIOS, firmware, software, etc.
    • Ran the various Windows commands to check for errors (sfc /scannow, dism, etc.)
    • Swapped wires and re-seated connections
    • Adjusted refresh rate on external monitors to 59 and 60 hz
    • Adjusted resolution on primary monitor to 1920x1080 to match both external monitors (while this is an undesirable solution, it did help some problems and helped address many of the sizing problems, especially with file explorer)
    • Used custom scaling instead of standard resolutions
    • Installed Samsung drivers for monitors
    • Reset the monitors to default settings
    • As an aside, the resolution problems disappear entirely on the external monitors if I set them to mirror the primary monitor. However, as soon as I extend the display, the resolution problems appear. I do not want to mirror my monitors,
      but I don't understand why a mirror would correct the problems.

Hardware/Specs:

• Dell XPS 15 9550 Laptop
    • Primary Monitor: 3840x2160 (also 1920x1080)
    • Two Secondary External Monitors: Samsung S27E510 (1920x1080)
    • OS: Windows 10 Version 1607 - I have had the same problems with multiple builds. I also had the same problems on Version 1511.
    • Dock 1: USB-C hub to allow for a second HDMI external monitor, in addition to the other secondary HDMI external monitor, which is connected directly to the laptop
    • Dock 2: Thunderbolt TB-15 (this was installed a few months after using the USB-C hub, but did not change any of the issues)
    • Video Card/Drivers: Intel HD 530 (Dell Firmware - 20.19.15.4483) and NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M (Driver - 21.21.13.757) - the NVIDIA driver was disabled, which helped improve some of the problems, but not all of them.

S_Johnson88, Jan 22, 2017
  3. [How to fix]BSOD

laptop model:ASUS N551JK-DM089H

I was upgraded after clean 8.1 install

No, no external device connected

got bsod when laptop came out of hibernation

stas mitrofanov, Jan 22, 2017
  4. philc43 Win User

Resolution Issues & BSODs After Re-Connecting Laptop to External Disp.

In order to analyse the BSOD events we will need you to follow the BSOD Posting Instructions at the top.

philc43, Jan 22, 2017
Thema:

Resolution Issues & BSODs After Re-Connecting Laptop to External Disp.

1. Resolution Issues & BSODs After Re-Connecting Laptop to External Disp. - Similar Threads - Resolution Issues BSODs

2. Windows 11 Resets External Display Resolution After Lock Screen Re-Login

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 Resets External Display Resolution After Lock Screen Re-Login: I am using DisplayLink to connect to two external monitors with 1920x1080 resolution. Running Windows 11. LG Update and Windows Update has been run to ensure all updates are installed.When the display turns off after the set number of minutes in the power plan and I wake up...
  3. Windows 11 Resets External Display Resolution After Lock Screen Re-Login

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 Resets External Display Resolution After Lock Screen Re-Login: I am using DisplayLink to connect to two external monitors with 1920x1080 resolution. Running Windows 11. LG Update and Windows Update has been run to ensure all updates are installed.When the display turns off after the set number of minutes in the power plan and I wake up...
  4. BSOD after connecting and disconnecting external monitor

in Windows 10 Gaming
    BSOD after connecting and disconnecting external monitor: Hey,I'm not a native English speaker, so forgive my ignorance.So, I have been facing BSOD after connecting and disconnecting Selecting PC screen only external monitor to my laptop. It doesn't happen all the time though. But it's very frustrating to not be able to use my...
  5. BSOD after connecting and disconnecting external monitor

BSOD after connecting and disconnecting external monitor: Hey,I'm not a native English speaker, so forgive my ignorance.So, I have been facing BSOD after connecting and disconnecting Selecting PC screen only external monitor to my laptop. It doesn't happen all the time though. But it's very frustrating to not be able to use my...
  6. External Monitor having resolution Issues

in Windows 10 Gaming
    External Monitor having resolution Issues: Hey there, I have a just bought a new Laptop and It has Windows 10 Preinstalled in it More details provided below. Now, I am using an External Display My old PC's Monitor which has maximum Resolution capacity - 1366 x 768 Model details given below so now if I connect my...
  7. External Monitor having resolution Issues

External Monitor having resolution Issues: Hey there, I have a just bought a new Laptop and It has Windows 10 Preinstalled in it More details provided below. Now, I am using an External Display My old PC's Monitor which has maximum Resolution capacity - 1366 x 768 Model details given below so now if I connect my...
  8. External Monitor having resolution Issues

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  9. External Monitor and Laptop Monitor Screen Resolution Issue

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    External Monitor and Laptop Monitor Screen Resolution Issue: I have a dell laptop that has 1920x1080 resolution. However, i connect it to an external monitor that has 1920x1200 resolution. Basically almost everything i do is on my external monitor which acts as my main primary screen. Thus i do sometimes open some windows or drag a...
  10. Netbook external monitor resolution issues

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Netbook external monitor resolution issues: I am having issues with external monitor resolution in my netbook with Windows 10 Monitor: HP Pavilion 22cw, (my current desktop monitor) using VGA If I select "Extend desktop" then the monitor is set to 1920x1080 just fine and the netbook's screen shows fine. But if I...