Windows 10: Resolution mismatch when using "Change the size of text..."

Discus and support Resolution mismatch when using "Change the size of text..." in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I have a Sony TV and a Panasonic projector. I have Windows 10, Intel NUC, same screen cloned in Windows for both screens. Both are 1920x1080 at native... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by jimhoyle, Nov 12, 2016.

1. jimhoyle Win User

Resolution mismatch when using "Change the size of text..."

I have a Sony TV and a Panasonic projector. I have Windows 10, Intel NUC, same screen cloned in Windows for both screens. Both are 1920x1080 at native resolution, 60p. I have a big problem with Windows Settings / Display / "Change the size of text, apps, and other items". If that's set to 150%, for some reason I think my icons are fine. Sharp, pixel perfect. However, for example Device Manager contents is blurred. That's not the main problem, though.

I use AutoHotkey and I have a script that tell me the resolution seen by AutoHotkey. When the 150% is set, AutoHotkey says the resolution is 1920x1080. But if I set 150% to 125%, then AutoHotkey says 2304 x 1296. However, the physical resolution is still 1920x1080. If I set to 100%, AutoHotkey says 2880x1620, physical resolution still 1920x1080. Icons (especially systray icons) are blurry. When AutoHotkey sees the resolution wrong, also window positions remembered by Windows is off (e.g. command prompt is placed incorrectly as I have it in one corner on the normal 1920x1080 situation).

What does it mean that part of the system sees the resolution wrong? Intel Graphics Settings and Windows Advanced display settings sees always 1920x1080 "correctly", no resolutions above that are even available.

How to fix that and is there a way to fix the blurry icons too (my icons include all sizes like 16, 24, 32, 64px etc.). And why does Device Manager etc. have blurry text?

:)

jimhoyle, Nov 12, 2016

2. how to change resolution on lumia 950

That setting is not for increasing or decreasing the resolution, it is merely increasing or decreasing the size of text. The resolution is still intact

Mursid W. Hananto, Nov 12, 2016
  3. Jagst Win User
    Change size of individual application in windows 10

I just upgraded my windows 7 laptop to windows 10, everything has been going fine so far but there is an issue that bothers me a lot. In the windows 10 display settings, there is a setting labled "Change the size of text, apps, and other items" and it's
    default value on my laptop is 125%. However, this value is too high for some of my applications (Skype and Steam) and because of this, they are trying to make their text and items larger which is negatively affecting the sharpness or resolution. When I change
    the "Change the size of text, apps, and other items" to 100%, it fixes the applications (Skype and Steam), but makes all my other applications ,such as chrome and Microsoft edge, look way too small. I need a way to make certain applications 100% value in
    the "Change the size of text, apps. and other items", and other applications to be the default value of 125%.

Jagst, Nov 12, 2016
  4. dalchina New Member

dalchina, Nov 14, 2016
  5. jimhoyle Win User
    I had the chance to test only quickly but so far very nice! I could scale to 125% with this tool with Device Manager text being sharp, icons sharp as well. However, with 150% it got blurry for some reason. But thanks a lot, the tool seems very useful!

jimhoyle, Nov 15, 2016
  6. lx07 Win User
    That program updates the following registry entries. You can do it yourself and pick another scaling if you want. This is what I did in the past (although some recent build seems to have fixed it so I don't need to bother any more).

You could try it though... Make a file like this in notepad: Code: GOTO EndComment DpiScalingVer - originally 1000 Win8DpiScaling - originally 0 LogPixels - originally absent DPI--->Scale Factor 96(x60)--->100% 120(x78)--->125% 144(x90)--->150% ** Current** 192(xC0)--->200% 240(xF0)--->250% Every 25% of the scale factor corresponds to a difference of 24 dpi (120-96) :EndComment REG ADD "HKCU\Control Panel\Desktop" /v DpiScalingVer /t REG_DWORD /d 0x00001018 /f REG ADD "HKCU\Control Panel\Desktop" /v Win8DpiScaling /t REG_DWORD /d 0x00000001 /f REG ADD "HKCU\Control Panel\Desktop" /v LogPixels /t REG_DWORD /d 0x00000090 /f[/quote]

Just save the above as DPIFix.bat somewhere and set up a task to run it on every log-on. Solved FIX | Windows 10 Blurry Text and Windows! - Windows 10 Forums

You just have to figure out what scaling you want in hex for the LogPixels value. I used 150% which is (if you calculate it) 96 (this is the starting DPI) + 24*2 = 144. Converted to hex that is x90. If you wanted 200% it would be 96 plus 4*24 which is 192 or xC0.

Like I said though it seems (at least for me) to be working without doing it now.

7. EdTittel Win User
    Nice work, lx07. Just used it to scale up on my Surface Pro 3.
    --Ed--

EdTittel, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Resolution mismatch when using "Change the size of text..." - Similar Threads - Resolution mismatch using

2. Change font text sizes

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Change font text sizes: Why can't I change individual font sizes in windows and apps? I don't want to change them by the accessibility slider because I want some of them smaller and some of them bigger.Is there any way to bypass this STUPID change? And why does Microsoft change things that aren't...
  3. Unable to change text size

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to change text size: Hi Today I changed my text size in Win11 but then I did not like it so I decided to revert back to my old text size but when I try to move the slider it does not move and my screen starts to change into a night light sort of color...
  4. Unable to change text size

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Unable to change text size: Hi Today I changed my text size in Win11 but then I did not like it so I decided to revert back to my old text size but when I try to move the slider it does not move and my screen starts to change into a night light sort of color...
  5. Mousepad: text size is changing

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Mousepad: text size is changing: When I am using Mousepad, the text size is changing. It is an annoying issue https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/mousepad-text-size-is-changing/65857ecf-abec-439c-b204-2e5c9162667d
  6. Windows 10 Text size changes when using Mousepad

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows 10 Text size changes when using Mousepad: It has done this over different laptops and different versions of Windows. I want it to stop. Hopefully, it is just a settings option. ***Modified title from: My W10 text size changes, at times, when I use the mousepad.***...
  7. My W10 text size changes, at times, when I use the mousepad.

My W10 text size changes, at times, when I use the mousepad.: It has done this over different laptops and different versions of Windows. I want it to stop. Hopefully, it is just a settings option. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-w10-text-size-changes-at-times-when-i-use-the/fe9f93f9-c3ac-466f-a764-96b56e34b81c
  8. Mismatch Resolution

Mismatch Resolution: So i was playing modern warfare and my friend said that he was hear a static sound so i went to the sound settings and was messing with stuff. Idk what i did and now when i go on modern warfare i get a message saying “This tv does not support the output format, video...
  9. how to change text size

how to change text size: I would like to change the text size. how do I do this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-change-text-size/780a199e-748a-459a-873d-73638cc9a753
  10. Text size changes in display

Text size changes in display: I’ve gone through several pages and haven’t seen my issue of text size described. I wrote an explanation of the issues on the attached screen capture. In my old windows 7 OS when I set the text size to 12 they stayed at the size I set. With windows 10 after setting the size...