Windows 10: Resolution & Refresh rate

Discus and support Resolution & Refresh rate in Windows 10 Graphic Cards to solve the problem; Some time ago I purchased a MINIX Z83-4 mini computer which comes with Win 10 64bit preloaded, The reason I got this was that when viewing films via... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Graphic Cards' started by pdoth, Nov 23, 2017.

1. pdoth Win User

Resolution & Refresh rate

Some time ago I purchased a MINIX Z83-4 mini computer which comes with Win 10 64bit preloaded, The reason I got this was that when viewing films via Kodi on an Android box the quality of the picture was never that good. I'm not talking about the colour or clarity, I'm referring more to the quality of the 'moving' picture. In other words, I seem to have ALWAYS had problems with a jerking/shaky/juddery picture particularly in long view when the camera is panning.

But even with the MINIX option now I am still having the same problem through Kodi via my TV. If I use my PC monitor the picture is rock solid and, as they say - "smooth as butter". This is set to 1920 x 1080 @ 60Hz

So, I have tried many different "solutions" and none seem to have worked. The one area I have only spent a little time on though is settings related to screen resolution and refresh rate. The reason for that is that none of the information I have found so far seems to relate to my particular setup.

I have a Samsung 4k TV, though I don't think that matters too much one way or another. I 'think' the real issue here is: SETTINGS.

If I go with the Windows 10 'recommended' settings based on the graphics card in the Neo, and my TV which is currently set to 3840 x 2160 @ 29Hz the picture is jerky as said above. If however I try to set it to 50Hz or 60Hz the nearest I can get is:
    1920 x 1080 @50/60Hz
    3840 x 2160 @30Hz
    4096 x 2160 @24Hz

The problem here is, if I choose any of the above either the picture quality suffers or the graphics (text etc) distort.

There doesn't seem to be a happy medium where I can get 4096 x 2160 @ 50/60Hz

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

:)

pdoth, Nov 23, 2017

2. frame rate problems since update for windows 10

Hi Anthony,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

As per the description, I understand that you are facing some issues using Windows 10.

I would like to know some information in order to provide you better solution.

• What is the exact issue that you are facing?

• Do you get any error code or error message?

• Are you referring to refresh rate?

If you are referring to refresh rate, I would like to inform you that a refresh rate of at least 75 hertz generally produces less flicker.

You might need to change your screen resolution before changing the refresh rate because not every screen resolution is compatible with every refresh rate. The higher the resolution, the higher your refresh rate should be.

Please let us know the information in brief. We will be glad to assist you further.

Mayank Gupta10, Nov 23, 2017
  3. Screen Display problem using HDMI connection to HD monitor

Sounds like a resolution /refresh rate issue. Try changing resolutions to see what happens.

Shenan Stanley, Nov 23, 2017
  4. Helmut Win User

A basic point is the TV has one native resolution which would be 4096 x 2160 that is a physical number of pixels.
    Any other resolution fed into it will be scaled up. How well it does that depends on the quality of the TV scaling.
    It has to work harder the greater the scale factor and depends on content.

The sources, interfaces and devices before that have limitations which you will have to look up.

"There doesn't seem to be a happy medium where I can get 4096 x 2160 @ 50/60Hz"

That is not a happy medium it is a maximum which you won't get due to all the other limitations before the display panel.

Helmut, Nov 23, 2017
  5. pdoth Win User
    So, from a 'connected' device to the TV which is capable of multi- resolutions what would be the most desirable format for this TV, given that the device has certain restrictions in what res an refresh it can output?

pdoth, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Resolution & Refresh rate - Similar Threads - Resolution Refresh rate

2. Fix to faulty Active Resolution signal and refresh rate

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Fix to faulty Active Resolution signal and refresh rate: Hello!Recently I've bought a second monitor for my gaming setup, capable of running 1440p resolution at 170 hertz. The moment I plugged it into my GPU via one of the display ports, I've noticed that it was running at 60 hertz. So, I tried to increase the refresh rate to the...
  3. Chaning refresh rate lowers resolution

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Chaning refresh rate lowers resolution: Whenever I try to switch the refresh rate in my display settings from 60hz to anything else the resolution is immediately lowered quite a lot for my entire pc. It isn't like the higher you make the refresh rate, the lower the resolution is either; 85hz and 144hz are...
  4. Chaning refresh rate lowers resolution

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Chaning refresh rate lowers resolution: Whenever I try to switch the refresh rate in my display settings from 60hz to anything else the resolution is immediately lowered quite a lot for my entire pc. It isn't like the higher you make the refresh rate, the lower the resolution is either; 85hz and 144hz are...
  5. Chaning refresh rate lowers resolution

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  6. unable to change screen resolution or refresh rate

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    unable to change screen resolution or refresh rate: I have a Lenovo laptop and I am trying to change my display resolutions in display settings> advanced display settings> display adapter properties> list all modes. it lets me select a different resolution, but it just waits 15 seconds and reverts when I apply it. The...
  7. Changing Refresh Rate Lowers Resolution

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Changing Refresh Rate Lowers Resolution: Whenever I try to switch the refresh rate in my display settings from 60hz to anything else, my monitor is 144hz and my graphics card is capable of running it the resolution is immediately lowered quite a lot for my entire pc. It isn't like the higher you make the refresh...
  8. Remote desktop solution with native resolution and refresh rate

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Remote desktop solution with native resolution and refresh rate: Hi! I have two PCs running Windows 10: Home: 2560x1440 resolution and Work: 1920x1200. I'm trying to connect to work computer but I have problems with resolution and refresh rate. I tried Chrome Remote Desktop and it's smooth 60 fps but is blurry and has wrong aspect ratio...
  9. Changing refresh rate causing severe resolution issues

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Changing refresh rate causing severe resolution issues: Thanks for reading, im having trouble with my display settings. When I change the refresh rate to 144hz the resolution drops from 1920x1080 to 920x1060 or something similar. Its a bad resolution for sure, was wondering if anyone knew how i could fix it? Rocking a gtx 1070ti...
  10. Force Resolution and Refresh Rate

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Force Resolution and Refresh Rate: Is there a way to force Windows 10 to only use a certain screen resolution and refresh rate? 97581